UConn-UCF thread without complaints | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-UCF thread without complaints

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Great win and just loved the poise of the UConn program. Also...what a crowd, especially the student section!! OMG!! Made me wish that I could attend the game. Holy smokes. That energy was EPIC!!
That was evident when the official had called a foul on UCF when the did the arm bar to Paige's throat and no one could hear the whistle. He had to go down to the UCF end near the student section and inform the other two officials that the foul that was called on UConn was null and void due to the foul on Paige before the other foul.

Coach Abe got PO'd about the call and the take away of the UConn foul. She should have gotten a T on it but I believe that the refs let it go because of the noise was so loud even the two other officials couldn't hear the whistle to stop the play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just read the "New" ranking of the 16 teams by Fanside and Sports Illustrated and I think both rankings complete discount how good UCF really is and was playing at the end of the 2022 season. UCF dominated the AAC, dominated their conference tournament, had great defense all season long and we well acquainted with our style, home court and some of our players. UCF was as tough a second round opponent anyone else had and I would venture would have given any of the seeds ahead of us a good run or beat them outright.

I also seem to remember many of the pundits discounting Villanova and Creighton who both played exceedingly well, and in Creighton's case against an opponent they also knew well. UCF is not getting the respect from the national press in my estimation that they rightly deserve.

Maybe a much easier win against a more well known Indiana team will shed some positive light on both UCF and the win UConn had. Doubt it but a guy can dream can't he? :cool:

Reaction Score
I think people are going to miss Williams and regret they gave her so much criticism. Her stepback jumper was stuff that I doubt some Nba players could do. I was watching the game on stream and another person commented who didn't even know her name or follow closely the team saying that was a nice shot.
Williams has done extremely well the past month against all level teams. There have been numerous comments on the Boneyard about the readiness of the Seniors for the pro game, and William's tenacity, balanced offensive/defensive skills and physical strength are a powerful combination.

Reaction Score
How much did UC pay those 4000-5000(?)
"student" "fans" to attend and fill in Gampel NCAA seats for that 9:05 tip-off mob scene Monday night ?
Or they got free tickets ? Paid $2-$3?
I think they were likely told a free concert was to be held.....
How many of them had ever come to a UC women's game before...? 50???
They looked like they were bussed in from ...some high school-- looking quite young....... ..and grungy....
I felt somewhat claustrophobic sitting in the lower level in that crazed atmosphere...which I think was "artificially enhanced..." (after Gampel was only half-filled Saturday...)...

I know that students, and mostly males, have historically attended and "filled" Gampel, and XL, in big numbers for UC men's games....but never as such for women's games........no?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I don't think that's the JP that was in The Accountant.
View attachment 74783

It seems as though that painting is in the style of Jackson Pollack. But it's not an original or a copy of an original.

I wasn't clear, I was referring to the fact the artist Pollock was referenced in the movie. I am more of fan of an artist from my neck of the woods when I was growing up, Norman Rockwell.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"student" "fans" to attend and fill in Gampel NCAA seats for that 9:05 tip-off mob scene Monday night ?
They looked like they were bussed in from ...some high school-- looking quite young....... ..and grungy....
I felt somewhat claustrophobic sitting in the lower level in that crazed atmosphere...which I think was "artificially enhanced..." (after Gampel was only half-filled Saturday...)...

I know that students, and mostly males, have historically attended and "filled" Gampel, and XL, in big numbers for UC men's games....but never as such for women's games........no?
The unsold tickets were given to students free of charge. It took half a day for the kids to snap them up. Students have always shown up for big games and tournament games but tickets weren’t always available to them; this year they were. Don’t know why you have to be so condescending towards the women’s team. Man, I hate it when the men lose early and the men’s board fans come to the women’s board to bitch.

Are you complaining because it’s the biggest show of students for ANY basketball game? Hurley needs to talk to the marketing dept.

Reaction Score
The unsold tickets were given to students free of charge. It took half a day for the kids to snap them up. Students have always shown up for big games and tournament games but tickets weren’t always available to them; this year they were. Don’t know why you have to be so condescending towards the women’s team. Man, I hate it when the men lose early and the men’s board fans come to the women’s board to bitch.

Are you complaining because it’s the biggest show of students for ANY basketball game? Hurley needs to talk to the marketing dept.

And I would recommend he schedule that conference sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong- I just thought that the Monday mob/night student throng was some kind of ploy/plan to make up for the looks of half-empty Gampel on Saturday--
I guess the students were still out on break on Saturday...?
I never saw big bunches of students at any UC women's games for 10-12 seasons that I attended, but I havent gone to games for quite a while.....

Women's games this season have had that many students attending? Or anywhere near that amount? Even one...game?? Which game? I'll check the video, if possible-- I don't think the announced attendances show that...

The bunch of Men's games I went to a few years ago, and also saw/see on TV, always had/have a ton of students present ..not even close, in my experience.....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong- I just thought that the Monday mob/night student throng was some kind of ploy/plan to make up for the looks of half-empty Gampel on Saturday--
I guess the students were still out on break on Saturday...?
I never saw big bunches of students at any UC women's games for 10-12 seasons that I attended, but I havent gone to games for quite a while.....

Women's games this season have had that many students attending? Or anywhere near that amount? Even one...game?? Which game? I'll check the video, if possible-- I don't think the announced attendances show that...

The bunch of Men's games I went to a few years ago, and also saw/see on TV, always had/have a ton of students present ..not even close, in my experience.....
You go do that. It will keep you too busy to post.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I totally disagree. Creighton essentially plays five guards and lives and dies by the three. IU has a post game, does not rely on the three and it’s best player (Berger) stays within the arc. I don’t see any similarity at all.
Indiana plays small, and both teams points for and against are almost exact, plus they're the same athletic type of team!

Reaction Score
Williams has done extremely well the past month against all level teams. There have been numerous comments on the Boneyard about the readiness of the Seniors for the pro game, and William's tenacity, balanced offensive/defensive skills and physical strength are a powerful combination.
Agreed, HopJim about Christyn's overall level of play. On that note, the Huskies will need her to shoot more consistently well starting right away. She's 8 for 23 for the two NCAA games and 3 for 12 from three. Christyn and Azzi likely will be the Huskies' most frequent shooters, so it would help for her to shoot better. Here's hoping she rekindles the touch she showed during the '21 NCAAs.

Reaction Score
UCF does have a very good defense. They were all over us on every play. For that they should be given credit.
Actually I was wondering why the refs weren't wearing their glasses! lolololololol

Reaction Score
I just read the "New" ranking of the 16 teams by Fanside and Sports Illustrated and I think both rankings complete discount how good UCF really is and was playing at the end of the 2022 season. UCF dominated the AAC, dominated their conference tournament, had great defense all season long and we well acquainted with our style, home court and some of our players. UCF was as tough a second round opponent anyone else had and I would venture would have given any of the seeds ahead of us a good run or beat them outright.

I also seem to remember many of the pundits discounting Villanova and Creighton who both played exceedingly well, and in Creighton's case against an opponent they also knew well. UCF is not getting the respect from the national press in my estimation that they rightly deserve.

Maybe a much easier win against a more well known Indiana team will shed some positive light on both UCF and the win UConn had. Doubt it but a guy can dream can't he? :cool:
UCF played 6 seniors and 2 juniors against UCONN, I think UCONN's youngsters did really well!

Reaction Score
Indiana plays small, and both teams points for and against are almost exact, plus they're the same athletic type of team!
Two 6’3” posts doesn’t seem small to me, plus Creighton has no one remotely similar to IU’s Spanish point guard. Stats may be the same, but how they arrive at them seems radically different. However, our disagreement is hopefully a friendly one.

Reaction Score

Hey you kids get off my lawn:eek:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I know this is the no-complaint thread but this was called a foul on Christyn. This has to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Who was this ref?

Reaction Score
I don't get the complaint that UCONN was soft. It was UCF's players who panicked and started shooting airballs. It was UCF who threw the ball out of bounds numerous times out of frustration. UCF double pumped & also missed ten foul shots while UCONN calmly sealed the game at the line. The Huskies' missed layups weren't from being soft. They have been missing layups all season. It wasn't UCONN's usual smooth game, but I thought they hung tough.
They weren't soft. I'm with Meg Culmo that she stated that particularly in the 1st quarter UCONN they got the shots they wanted (which doesn't exclude other quarters). And it has been noted which Meg cited UCONN was something like 2-12 on layups. What's that telling us? IMO it's telling us that UCONN was to a certain degree able to run it's offense. Very proud of the team having to do that vs a team noted for their tenacious defense while having 3 5th year seniors, 2 regular seniors, and 2 juniors defending them.

In addition, the UCONN defense was superb/supreme. I know there was talk of "what if UCF hit their free throws" but then as we know UCF went 5-10 from 3 in which they normally go 30%. UCF was very fortunate there.

I have a lot of respect for UCF for what they are, but when your defense is allowing Azzi Fudd to get 10 open looks from 3 along while relying on 2-12 missed layups, it means the opposing offense was doing pretty well against you. And all that credit goes to UCONN players and coaching staff.

You just don't win overall by defense alone. Both ability to run offense (in this case gets Azzi open looks) while also getting opportunities to score from point blank (i.e. get opposing team into foul trouble) and play terrific D are what wins- balance. It's all about balance and UCONN showed it vs a gritty UCF.

Reaction Score
You aren't kidding! I was there, and you couldn't hear a thing!!
There was 1 play where a foul was called but play continued for 4 or 5 seconds because no one heard the whistle. I know I didn't hear the whistle.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know this is the no-complaint thread but this was called a foul on Christyn. This has to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Who was this ref?

The complaints thing means complaining about missed layups, free throws, etc. We all saw it; some of us just don’t feel the need to say a million times that the team needs to stop missing layups. I mean, duh :rolleyes: But now that it’s the post season, the UCF game means nothing except that it’s a win and it’s time to move on to the next round and just get another win, however ugly they have to play to get it.

The male ref is Benny Luna. I’ve never heard his name before and hope I never hear it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom