UConn-Texas Game Thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

UConn-Texas Game Thread

Reaction Score
Isn’t the way the teams are playing her one in the same-she’s playing basketball AND having a wrestling career with all the falls and hits she’s taking. I remember Geno commenting about Stewie getting crushed by teams and am sort of surprised he hasn’t made similar comments about KLS.

it's a sign of respect but that doesn't make it hurt any less..............

Reaction Score
I’ll never understand why these teams, like Texas, don’t play with this kind of heart and fight every single game. They lost to TCU last week. Absolutely no way that happens if they play with this fight.

To me that’s a big reason why UConn has been so good for so long. UConn plays up for every game. Many of these top teams only do so against UConn.

Target on Back.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno was happy. More to add to the legends of Katie Lou, Azure Stephens, and Crystal Dangerfield. They won. I'm more than OK with it. They could have so easily gacked up this one, but they didn't.

Reaction Score
As bad as she played in the 1st half, the 2nd half was a reminder of that when she is at her best, Gabby Williams has the most all-around upside out of anyone on this team.

2nd half stats:
2-5 FG, 4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO

Looks like a Draymond Green stat line. She was all over the floor and noticeable on almost every defensive possession.

Reaction Score
Hi from a Longhorn fan in Austin. To answer an earlier question earlier in the thread, "YES, I think this game was great for women's basketball." I think it was a good game for UConn. The Huskies will be more prepared if they face Texas again this year. The game was great, I hope, for the Texas program. It was so much fun to watch such a competitive game in such a great atmosphere. I cannot remember seeing Texas pull out all the stops more than for this game. We had a short ceremony to thank the couple who just made a $20 million pledge to help fund a center focused on brain and behavioral health. (I love that the money is being given by fans of the women's basketball program.) We had orange and white balloons dropping from the ceiling. We saw a birthday cake given to the long-time women's athletics director. We had an excellent singer for the national anthem. All this in addition to special Martin Luther King Day acknowledgements, which would have happened regardless of who Texas was playing. Hey, they even opened the beer concession (usually not open for women's games)! Of course, it would have been more fun for the Texas team and fans if the Longhorns had won. But, I hope the team's competitive play was enough to make some people who do not normally attend the games want to come back.
From a UConn fan living in Texas, the pregame show on UTx TV channel good as well. Texas had a great strategy that may have worked if some of the players were in better shape. Suspect this will be less of an issue once NCAA's come around

Reaction Score
One thing that has to change going forward is Gabby has to take and make that foul line jumper. She developed confidence in that shot last year and this year that confidence is gone. Texas gave her that shot all night and she didn't take one until the 4th quarter and she made it. Taking (and making) that shot will open things up for Z and Napheesa.
Texas pretty much forced Gabby to spend a large past of her offensive game at the key and away from the basket. At times, this strategy worked as well.

Reaction Score
This was a tough game to watch as a UCONN fan, not good for the blood pressure. I am happy we are walking away with the win but this team has some serious work to do to get to where they want to in March (and hopefully early April).

I am glad Geno acknowledge the bench (i.e., Megan Walker) needs to be able to contribute more and he will focus more on that coming up.

Texas played a hard “physical” game so I give them credit. About some of the calls last night...well I was coming on here to blast off on that but after reading through 30 plus pages of this thread it has already been said and one particular official has been called out by name a few times already, so it is what it is.

Hopefully the team learns from this tough win, improve, and get ready for the next team on the UCONN hit list!

Reaction Score
Yet those Stewie teams we're looking at the end of season. So it is completely unfair comparison. Yet we know for a fact that there are many posters on this very board that look at everything half-empty. These type of posters were clamoring after 2014-2015 loss to Stanford the same paranoid stuff "that UCONN can't stop penetration." And "this 14-15 team doesn't have a leader." And back in 14-15 this very site many of the half-empty posters were still clamoring that Stewie should be more of a 3 because she would wear down.

And in 15-16 the two below links -- we heard the same noise we heard back then we hear now from the glass is half-empty posters. With DePaul you can see they lit up UCONN from 3-- there was the concern - "what happens if we play a team better that DePaul and as the game shows we can't defend the 3." DePaul cut the lead to 6 with 4 minutes left. Or how about the MD game? Heck even Rebecca Lobo after the game made a lunatic statement though many agreed with her that the "formula" to beat UCONN was pound them inside. Uconn was losing with 4.5 minutes left.

The 3pt shooting was further highlighted when UCONN palyed a banged up ND at home. ND shot 13-20 from 3 and they couldn't stop "freshman Marina Mabrey."

As stated before -- many problems are just noise along with a bit of romanticism from the past.

With hat said I agree with you though I'm no good with point spreads. But imo 2015-2016 was best ever. SO year I think they'd win. But again I'm looking at the finished 2015-2016 UCONN product. If the 2015-2016 team played like they did v DePaul or like they did vs MD -- ofc I'd think on "that day" this team playing just "pretty good" could beat them. But the finished products of Stewie last 3 years -- absolutely is better than this team at the moment. Those teams knew for example who the ball goes to. This year's team it seems has their best scorer come off the bench. An off-topic comment- This is why I thought AZ would start. I thought her defense would be terrific too which obviously it isn't. - Yet. . . .

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120215.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/122815.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120515.html

I would take those Stweie teams over this team at the same point in the season. We were so spoiled with a DT then right into a MM then right into the Stewie years. As good as this team is we do not have a talent like the ones I mentioned. You can also clearly see that the gap between Uconn and other top 10 teams is not as big as it was when we had the dominant superstar. We got eliminated last year by a team we thought we would kill, and we can certainly lose this year. I think in a way its more fun that way..

I was hoping Megan Walker was going to be out next major super star. Megan Walker although may be great is taking longer than hoped to develop on the college level.. She could not even get into the game last night! I don't think we should really blame the Flu. If the girl can play , she can play.. Is CW going to be a super star and show big flashes of it in her freshman year? Is she Megan Walker or Maya Moore? Cant wait to find out, and I hope its the latter.

Reaction Score
I would take those Stweie teams over this team at the same point in the season. We were so spoiled with a DT then right into a MM then right into the Stewie years. As good as this team is we do not have a talent like the ones I mentioned. You can also clearly see that the gap between Uconn and other top 10 teams is not as big as it was when we had the dominant superstar. We got eliminated last year by a team we thought we would kill, and we can certainly lose this year. I think in a way its more fun that way..

I was hoping Megan Walker was going to be out next major super star. Megan Walker although may be great is taking longer than hoped to develop on the college level.. She could not even get into the game last night! I don't think we should really blame the Flu. If the girl can play , she can play.. Is CW going to be a super star and show big flashes of it in her freshman year? Is she Megan Walker or Maya Moore? Cant wait to find out, and I hope its the latter.
I don't think there's anyone on the horizon of a DT, Maya, or Stewie. It's not something you can develop. A player either has that level of talent or not, kinda like height, and everyone recognizes those players when they are still in high school that this or that kid is the next big thing. I'd argue there is no gap right now between UConn and the top 10 teams. We played the #9 team in the country last night about even, and a month ago the then #2 team also about even.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anyone on the horizon of a DT, Maya, or Stewie. It's not something you can develop. A player either has that level of talent or not, kinda like height, and everyone recognizes those players when they are still in high school that this or that kid is the next big thing. I'd argue there is no gap right now between UConn and the top 10 teams. We played the #9 team in the country last night about even, and a month ago the then #2 team also about even.

Good post. I completely agree

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I also wonder when was the last time Geno used a different line up to start the second half like he did tonight when Z started in place of Collier?
Along those same lines, why did he pull Collier just a few minutes into the game (I'm not asking you specifically)?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not too many high school players are defensive minded. They have to learn in college and at college game speed.
The same can be said of Z. She played two years of college and did not have to play man to man or have to move a lot on offense. She's learning to move on offense and her defense must and will improve.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The same can be said of Z. She played two years of college and did not have to play man to man or have to move a lot on offense. She's learning to move on offense and her defense must and will improve.

Gonna be hard for Z to improve a lot defensively, in my opinion. She just doesn't have quick feet, and how many 6-6 humans do? She's going to have to learn to use smarts and positioning, plus get stronger.

This is one of many reasons I'm a big proponent of getting 2020 Cameron Brink. She has Z's length and is 6-4 but glides on the court.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Z is a mixed bag right now. She's been impressive with her hands and rebounding, shows good balance, and she's quick to the floor on a loose ball (for 6-6 anyway).

It is, however, really frustrating to see her shoot so many 2-footers and leave them a foot short. And why doesn't she use the backboard more? And her left hand? :confused:

Some teachable areas. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Z is a mixed bag right now. She's been impressive with her hands and rebounding, shows good balance, and she's quick to the floor on a loose ball (for 6-6 anyway).

It is, however, really frustrating to see her shoot so many 2-footers and leave them a foot short. And why doesn't she use the backboard more? And her left hand? :confused:

Some teachable areas. :cool:
I think it was in the Houston game that Z actually made a layup with her left hand. I was so excited I spilled my beer. :)

But last night she made a great move to the basket on the left side, where she was met by one of TX Bigs. Z shot the ball with her right hand directly into the defender and it was blocked. I was so upset I spilled my beer. :(

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think it was in the Houston game that Z actually made a layup with her left hand. I was so excited I spilled my beer. :)

But last night she made a great move to the basket on the left side, where she was met by one of TX Bigs. Z shot the ball with her right hand directly into the defender and it was blocked. I was so upset I spilled my beer. :(
I am sensing a pattern..... ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno seemed thrilled with Z's play last night.

"Texas coach Karen Aston said that Stevens' play was the key to the victory while UConn's Geno Auriemma said proclaimed that, "she made so many big plays today. I would be here over the next half hour if I went over every play I think had a big impact. I do say to our team all the time that one particular play doesn't lose you a game but you make one play when you have to, it wins you the game."

He can focus on her many flaws tomorrow in practice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
the usual suspects are down this year...ND,SC and Stanford are not threats to UConn in my opinion, so it actually may be easier to get through the initial rounds of the NCAAs..Baylor, Louisville and Mississippi State are the teams standing between UConn and number twelve....
Yup. There's always Baylor lurking in the shadows

Reaction Score
Yup. There's always Baylor lurking in the shadows

and next year Texas and Baylor will be even stronger...........UConn is going to need this year's freshmen and the two super newbies coming in next year to contribute mightily if UConn wants to win another championship

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
and next year Texas and Baylor will be even stronger......UConn is going to need this year's freshmen and the two super newbies coming in next year to contribute mightily if UConn wants to win another championship
We have the little Italian guy and they don’t.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That was one heck of a team though. Went 40-0 and had Mo, Bria, KML, Stewie, and Stef as starters with Kiah as the bench.
My all-time favorite. Five starters who were (eventually) two-time All-Americans. Plus Kiah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom