UConn sweep of WNBA Rookie of the Year voting | The Boneyard

UConn sweep of WNBA Rookie of the Year voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with Dish - Stewie had arguably the best rookie season in history. I LOVE Moriah and believe she's a future Olympian, but the person who voted her as ROY needs a head examination! :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Imani and Paul Boyette should be fruitful, multiply, and send their kids to Texas!

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree with Dish - Stewie had arguably the best rookie season in history. I LOVE Moriah and believe she's a future Olympian, but the person who voted her as ROY needs a head examination! :)
Eric , I beg to differ. The person that voted for Moriah is quite sane. The way I saw it is that Stewie had a lot more help and a good supporting cast her rookie year. Which is why Seattle made the Playoffs and San Antonio did not. Which also explains why San Antonio is getting the #1 pick in the WNBA Draft. Stewie had Sue Bird , Jewel Loyd , Crystal Langhorne , etc. to help out. Moriah was for the most part , all alone. With Kayla McBride and Robinson out most of the year what Moriah did was great when you consider that she didn't have a lot of help.

Consider that Nneka Ogumike won the WNBA MVP.....She had Candice Parker , Alana Beard , and other's for a good supporting cast. My point being , its easier to look good when there's good talent around and you are getting good shots and you have good coaching. Seattle has had both. It wasn't necessary the case in San Antonio this year.

Moriah deserved that vote and possibly a lot more consideration than she received.

Reaction Score
Wait, HGN, you are actually saying that Breanna Stewart was not the best rookie in the league last year and deserving of rookie of the year?

Sixth in the league in scoring
Second in rebounding
Third in blocks

That's not the rookie of the year?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Stewie had a great rookie season, but the best still belongs to Candace with the ROY/MVP honors and the most points in a rookie debut ever. ;) I come in peace, all in fun, but look at how eerily similar their numbers are. YIKES! And yes, Stewie should have swept the rookie race.

Most Impressive rookies...
Candace - 18.5 ppg, 9.5 rebs, 3.4 assists, 1.2 steals, 2.2 blocks
Stewart - 18.3 ppg, 9.3 rebs, 3.4 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.8 blocks

HGN

Reaction Score
Wait, HGN, you are actually saying that Breanna Stewart was not the best rookie in the league last year and deserving of rookie of the year?

Sixth in the league in scoring
Second in rebounding
Third in blocks

That's not the rookie of the year?
Dish , I am not saying STEWIE was not the best rookie...........I am saying Moriah deserved more recognition.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sometimes, when you know -with certainty- that a certain candidate is a lock, you might vote for another worthy candidate just so that door isn't slammed in her face and she isn't completely overlooked. A local voter might do this, not being arrogant or obstinant, but as an act of respect to a favorite player whose efforts, in this case, bordered on heroic.

The question isn't whether Stewie deserved a unanimous ballot. It's whether Mo deserved to be completely ignored.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's what the All-Rookie team is; she wasn't overlooked, or completely ignored. In fact, she was a unanimous selection for that team.

There can only be one Rookie of the Year. There are no participation trophies, regardless of how good that participation was.
BIngo and that was my point. There is only 1 WNBA ROY, but there are 5 players who make WNBA all rookie team. Moriah totally deserved to be unanimous on that team, but Stewie far and away had the best year.

Reaction Score
Are there any rules like in college where a coach can't vote for their own player? Could that have come into play here?

Reaction Score
Are there any rules like in college where a coach can't vote for their own player? Could that have come into play here?

Not in ROY, but in all-rookie team. That's why the max on all-rookie team is 11, which Stewie, Jefferson and Powers all got.

Reaction Score
Okay, so Stewie got 38 of 39 votes, Jefferson the other 1.

But it's still a UConn sweep! :p
\

Stewie is really really good---so is Moriah. I know I'll take flack for this but---pound for pound, inch for inch---Moriah is MY MVP.
And I would have hoped Moriah got more votes. Look how the mighty mite carried her struggling team. Stewie went to a team with talent, lots of talent. ==so go ahead beat away.

Reaction Score
Seattle had the worst team last year and received the 1st pick for it. Should have been all of Stewies. She helped them make the playoffs this year. As well as Mo played her team was lousy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle won 10 games last year; San Antonio won only 8. The Storm had the first pick in 2016 by virtue of the lottery.

This season, Stewie joined a team that had the top pick and #3 pick the prior year and also the best PG ever. Moriah joined a team with only 1 legit star--and KMac missed most of the season due to injury. Stewie was surrounded by far more talent than Moriah was.

I don't know who voted for Mo over Stewie. Maybe it was a homer vote. Maybe someone saw Mo on her best days and Stewie on her worst. I think it's a little odd, but Stewie got 38 of 39. That's clear cut.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It is what it is. All but one vote? Pretty strong statement. I'm betting that Stewie would prefer that Mo got that one vote. Breanna seems like that kind of person. This is the same Stewie who told the world that MoJet should have had one of her tournament MOP awards, right? It's a tempest in a teapot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Okay, so Stewie got 38 of 39 votes, Jefferson the other 1.

But it's still a UConn sweep! :p

Simply a combination of talent and college training pedigree. Again....both graduates of CD & Geno's finishing school for young women. UConn grads usually are first round picks, and usually become starters within the first 2 years of entering the league. :p

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who was silly enough not to vote for Stewart? Jefferson had a great season but Stewart was head and shoulders (literally) above Jefferson.

Reaction Score
Stewie had a great rookie season, but the best still belongs to Candace with the ROY/MVP honors and the most points in a rookie debut ever. ;) I come in peace, all in fun, but look at how eerily similar their numbers are. YIKES! And yes, Stewie should have swept the rookie race.

Most Impressive rookies...
Candace - 18.5 ppg, 9.5 rebs, 3.4 assists, 1.2 steals, 2.2 blocks
Stewart - 18.3 ppg, 9.3 rebs, 3.4 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.8 blocks
Tamika Catchings (though she did have a year to learn the system)

18.6 PPG, 8.6 rebounds, 3.7 Assists, 2.9 steals, 1.3 blocks. Plus her defense was top notch likely first team as a rookie. She was the reason Sue didn't win. And if you are into advanced statistics, 30.87 PER. She was the most "valuable" player that year IMO, though Swoopes had great numbers and Houston had a great record. Best player on best teams usually are top candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom