UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again)

Reaction Score
Given what Geno has said about Jana...hard to keep her out of the starting lineup.
JANA will not be kept out of the line-up( baring the dreaded In---y bug) Uconn is blessed with two top notch starting fives, proficient in 1 through 5 in both. This team will truly be blessed and visions of multiple NC. trophies possible in the future. JANA has been trained or coached by her Father, the coach of EGYPT'S National team and from what I have seen, he has done a remarkable job. GO JANA!!!!! GO SOPHPOMORES!!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Nice post.

I'm response to a different thread, where a poster said UConn should be ranked 15th in pre season due injury history, can't count on incoming freshmen, and not sure if injured players will come back, I posted that just rolling back last year's team is already good.

I view Ash and KK as a pair. They are both complete players. If we didn't have Paige and Azzi, and the incoming pair of Allie and Morgan, we'd be raving about 3 more years of a unique outstanding guard duo.

If we rolled out Kk at 1, Ash at 2, Q at 3, Paige at 4 and Ice at 5, that's not our optimal team, but it could be a very good one. Paige would still be out of position at power forward, but everyone else would be in their best spot. Q and Ice were definitely not as solid as the guard pair, but with a full season of 30 minutes a game would improve dramatically.
IMO it is a very slim chance Ash doesn't start. Her shot you'd think will only get better. There is no way imo UCONN should be starting Azzi. Since the summer of her soph year she has played such little basketball. Therefore you don't want to tax her knee. Additionally, you don't want to be messing with some games she can't play because her knee is bothering her. Continuity should be very important. It's something you can't rely on from Azzi, Caroline (or Ayanna). So-- they shouldn't be starting at least at the beginning.

In regard to your starting 5 playing along with the poster that felt UCONN should be ranked 15th., we should agree that the poster that told you this is probably very inexperienced, or has to some degree a negative view of UCONN. I say this because - let’s face it-- who knows more about #1 recruits than UCONN? Over the last 20 years UCONN has had the vast majority of #1's. and since when has any not been at least "pretty good?" The person you were replying with either doesn't understand #1 recruits or just wants to minimize UCONN in their own personal way.

So, for that stating 5 you mention, g ahead and put Sarah at PF and move Paige to SF and this lineup is among the best - we're ranked about 4th, correct?

Reaction Score
It appears to me that. Raegan Beers would be a ‘no brainer’ fit at center, giving Jana a comfortable way to blend in. She is a freshman breaking in off a severe injury. My primary question is whether she will is a Geno kind of kid. We have a beautifullly blended group and the staff probably is doing much vetting.
If they get Beers and Chen from Carla, the Husky’s could be a #1 at the start.
Chemistry Chemistry’’. What do you all think?

Reaction Score
This is a very interesting thread. Assuming all players are healthy and able to play in November... I could easily see the starting five having four set players and one position that might be open.
Again if everyone was healthy and able to play at the start. Azzi, Paige, Sarah, and Jana would be the four set in my opinion. I would have think that KK would get a nod over the other guards to lead the group. Ash did a remarkable job as a freshman... and she, Aubrey, and Ice will be among the first to come off the bench.

But then again... what do I know... Geno is the one who will figure all this out...

Reaction Score
Outside of Paige, Ashlynn is the only other sure starter.. certainly just my opinion.. outside of all the stats listed.. her durability, attitude, and stamina matches Paige.. she has shown.. she won’t beat you with her play..
+1. At least at the start of the season, I would be that Paige, Ash and KK are starters. Even if Caroline is cleared to play, it makes more sense to bring her off the bench and manage her minutes.

The two front court starters are going to be interesting. If Beers signs then she's a starter for sure, but she timeshare with Jana might be close to 50/50. The power forward spot is likely a committee approach with Strong, Ice and Ayanna.

Azzi and Aubrey (spelled correctly so that I don't get flogged) will not be ready to start the season, but will immediately soak up minutes once they are ready. Azzi could push Ash into a "super sub" 6th man role similar to Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure, I have no idea who will be 100% healthy or how well the new additions to the team will perform prior to the season opener. But, Ash made a strong case to stay in the starting lineup with her performance last season. Consider:

1. Shade scored 419 points in 38 games, 10th highest ever for a UConn freshman. 3rd highest on the team last season.
2. Geno started Ashlynn for the last 33 games of the season and played her 1,194 total minutes. (31.4 per game)
3. She doesn't foul. Only 52 fouls in 1,200 minutes.
4. Shot 48.1% overall, better than KK, Q, Ice, and Nika.
5. Shade grabbed 133 rebounds, better than Ice's 127 or KK's 121. (minutes were different)
6. Fewest turnovers of any player with 500 minutes on the court. She had only 39.
7. Ash hit 64 threes, 2nd only to Paige (84). Her 35.6% accuracy was behind only Paige and Nika.
8. Shoots free throws at 91.3%. (Just needs to get more attempts.)
9. Fitness level is off the charts and she will return a better player after 1,200 minutes of experience.
10. Most importantly, IMO Azzi will not be 100% in November. Geno may start Ash and sub in Azzi at the shooting guard spot.

Two starters graduated. That leaves room for Geno & staff to move Paige out of the PF role and start 2 returning players (from injury) or new players (freshman or transfers). Paige, KK and Ash gives Geno three starters from last season to build upon...

Thoughts?
Go Huskies..!!
It depends on player health, if Azzi is fully healthy, no way either Ash or KK starts ahead of her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
People have noted a couple of weaknesses, but they can be addressed. If we didn't have her this year would have been very different. If she doesn't start we will have to have a freshman imitate her. She can put up 20 a night and she defends and moves like the Energizer Bunny. She starts.

JBK

Reaction Score
In November I'm thinking the two starting spots go to Ice and Caroline. That's the easiest option and gives you an experienced starting five.
Unfortunately, Caroline is not experienced.
I hope she can come off the bench next year and just play again. Ash never stops moving and plays really good defense.

JBK

Reaction Score
IMO it is a very slim chance Ash doesn't start. Her shot you'd think will only get better. There is no way imo UCONN should be starting Azzi. Since the summer of her soph year she has played such little basketball. Therefore you don't want to tax her knee. Additionally, you don't want to be messing with some games she can't play because her knee is bothering her. Continuity should be very important. It's something you can't rely on from Azzi, Caroline (or Ayanna). So-- they shouldn't be starting at least at the beginning.

In regard to your starting 5 playing along with the poster that felt UCONN should be ranked 15th., we should agree that the poster that told you this is probably very inexperienced, or has to some degree a negative view of UCONN. I say this because - let’s face it-- who knows more about #1 recruits than UCONN? Over the last 20 years UCONN has had the vast majority of #1's. and since when has any not been at least "pretty good?" The person you were replying with either doesn't understand #1 recruits or just wants to minimize UCONN in their own personal way.

So, for that stating 5 you mention, g ahead and put Sarah at PF and move Paige to SF and this lineup is among the best - we're ranked about 4th, correct?
Agree with your thoughts on Caroline and just pray she can play basketball again. Azzi without injury could hold her own with Caitlin Clark and is a generational player.
If healthy - she starts and plays and also think Ash can start. I may have KK rotate for ash and sub for Paige - who I hope plays point.

Reaction Score
It appears to me that. Raegan Beers would be a ‘no brainer’ fit at center, giving Jana a comfortable way to blend in. She is a freshman breaking in off a severe injury. My primary question is whether she will is a Geno kind of kid. We have a beautifullly blended group and the staff probably is doing much vetting.
Hate to say it but I don’t see any chance that we will be ranked #1 at the beginning of the season. That will have to wait until South Carolina loses. However, I’m fairly confident we will be top five! Even if we were to get both of the players you mentioned SC will still start out at #1 and rightfully so. They just went wire to wire for the title and landed the #2 player as well. We will be lurking somewhere very close though!;)

Reaction Score
While Ashlynn's stats are impressive as DavidinNaples points out I'm not completely sold on Ashlynn. Shei is a very good player but may be too short and too conventional to be a consistent starter on a Uconn national championship team. I think she will be an excellent come off the bench player and maybe a great spot up shooter. But, for example, the Iowa game was a problem. If her shot is not falling, she seems not to have the ability (maybe size matters here) to create her own shot if she is closely guarded. If she is not on or hot she is almost a liability. Also, bigger guards can post her up under the boards. Martin did a job on her at the end of the Iowa game. I think Iowa took advantage of Ashlynn because of her lack of size and lack of speed. That may be a problem! Against lesser talent, she is awesome. Don't know if she can go against the bigger, more talented, more athletic D1 opponents? IMO she will be great off the bench or second team.........

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but I don’t see any chance that we will be ranked #1 at the beginning of the season. That will have to wait until South Carolina loses. However, I’m fairly confident we will be top five! Even if we were to get both of the players you mentioned SC will still start out at #1 and rightfully so. They just went wire to wire for the title and landed the #2 player as well. We will be lurking somewhere very close though!;)
Yup, I agree with you. They are king of the hill until someone knocks them off the hill. But it doesn't really matter. Winning the last game of the year is what matters.

Reaction Score
This year Geno brought in Ashlynn, KK, Q and Ice ( from freshman injury) and how did that work out. I have been high on Ashlynn ALL year and stated she will start for FOUR years. There has been NO-ONE previous to come to Uconn in better shape and ready to play from day one. Ashlynn is born to play Uconn BB and is a future AA, and will earn a NC. ring. GO ASHLYNN!!! GO SOPHPOMORES!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!.
Ash is one of my favorites, wait a second, they are all one of my favorites. Ash came in in extraordinary shape, but so have others. Probably the best was some kid named Svet. So "NO-ONE" is not quite correct in my opinion.

FWIW, I've been to Noblesville, a very nice suburb of Indianapolis. I feel like I have a little bit of a connection with Ash.

Reaction Score
In November I'm thinking the two starting spots go to Ice and Caroline. That's the easiest option and gives you an experienced starting five.
A lot depends on the health status of Caroline. I do hope that she is medically cleared and can go without any type of restrictions. I am a huge Ice fan and hoping that she just flips the script and realize that she can play at the college level. I love the way she grabs rebounds! Her hands are like magnets. I love the 2-man game she had, especially when Paige had the ball, with whoever had the ball. On those screen and rolls/fades/pops....she could have that Lauren Jackson type game. A lot of times, the guards missed her on those looks. But we will see what develops as the summer moves along.

Reaction Score
What I love about Ashlynn is she, is a quick study. I think in the first few games of her starting, folks were critical of her defense. What did she do? She improved. She is going to be an even better force to deal with over the next three years. I can't wait to see what skills she adds to her game this season and over the next few years.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
David - exceptional post!!!

I see the starters as Paige (no brainer), KK (she's earned it), Ash (she's earned it), Ice and Jana right now.

Not counting on Beers being a Husky. Big question if Caroline will play again. Azzi, we have seen flashes of domination, but too often injured. Aubrey will probably not be available until January at the earliest. Q, if she improves on the off season will be minutes.

The freshamn class - I have no idea. Watching film clips is one thing, but moving up to D1 is another story. Sarah Strong maybe the most likely to get major minutes early. I leave than to Geno and the staff.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Caroline is not experienced.
I hope she can come off the bench next year and just play again. Ash never stops moving and plays really good defense.
She's played in 54 games or half of all UConn games over the last three years. The only players on this team with more experience are Paige and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure, I have no idea who will be 100% healthy or how well the new additions to the team will perform prior to the season opener. But, Ash made a strong case to stay in the starting lineup with her performance last season. Consider:

1. Shade scored 419 points in 38 games, 10th highest ever for a UConn freshman. 3rd highest on the team last season.
2. Geno started Ashlynn for the last 33 games of the season and played her 1,194 total minutes. (31.4 per game)
3. She doesn't foul. Only 52 fouls in 1,200 minutes.
4. Shot 48.1% overall, better than KK, Q, Ice, and Nika.
5. Shade grabbed 133 rebounds, better than Ice's 127 or KK's 121. (minutes were different)
6. Fewest turnovers of any player with 500 minutes on the court. She had only 39.
7. Ash hit 64 threes, 2nd only to Paige (84). Her 35.6% accuracy was behind only Paige and Nika.
8. Shoots free throws at 91.3%. (Just needs to get more attempts.)
9. Fitness level is off the charts and she will return a better player after 1,200 minutes of experience.
10. Most importantly, IMO Azzi will not be 100% in November. Geno may start Ash and sub in Azzi at the shooting guard spot.

Two starters graduated. That leaves room for Geno & staff to move Paige out of the PF role and start 2 returning players (from injury) or new players (freshman or transfers). Paige, KK and Ash gives Geno three starters from last season to build upon...

Thoughts?
Go Huskies..!!
Swiss Army knife. Incredibly rare when she makes a poor decision or has a lapse on the court. Gritty. Will take a lot to get her off the floor.

Reaction Score
Live by the portal, die by the portal. UConn doesn't need any players from the portal which means if they go into the portal for players someone they recruited will sit. UConn has a great thing going and the portal is one sure way to destroy it. Of all people I think Geno knows this and because of that I think they will be very cautious. And why would they want another guard?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom