Uconn SEC rumors???????? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn SEC rumors????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UCONN is NOT going to the SEC. Don't know if the press matters or not.
Of course UConn is NOT going to the SEC (but we would if asked). And this is NOT even a rumor. It's just a hypothetical situation posed by a NYT writer. But the fact that ESPN posted a reference to the article and people are talking about UConn is a good thing. Stir the pot. Stay in the conversation. We got next but we need to stay on top of people's minds.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I fel that UConn fits in the SEC as well as they do in the Big 12 or Pac 12. Travel would be a killer. However, away games for the Olympic sports, soccer, and baseball are a plane ride way in the A12 as it is. The goal should definitely the Big 10, but they would have to listen to the SEC if they came calling.

Travel, sadly, would actually be better in the SEC than in the America 12. I posted it somewhere, but like 400 miles better per game on average. Don't forget our new conference mates are in Houston, Dallas, NOLA, Tampa, Memphis, Orlando, etc...

Reaction Score
Just open a Cracker Barrel, a Stuckeys and a Fireworks stand. Then, open a Duckhead outlet and erect a statue of Robert E. Lee. Done deal, sumbitch.

Don'f forget the Piggly Wiggly for tailgating supplies...

Pigglywiggly.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
erect a statue of Robert E. Lee. Done deal, sumbitch.

If CT was to erect a statue of a traitor, I would hope it would be of Benedict Arnold.

Reaction Score
I fel that UConn fits in the SEC as well as they do in the Big 12 or Pac 12.

Which is to say, not at all.

Not that you wouldn't take an invite, but none of those are in fact any kind of fit at all. Of couse, neither is the A-12, so you'd take a non-fit with better football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Which is to say, not at all.

Not that you wouldn't take an invite, but none of those are in fact any kind of fit at all. Of couse, neither is the A-12, so you'd take a non-fit with better football.

That is exactly my point. The best current fit for UConn is the ACC, but they don't want UConn for some stupid, antiquated thinking by conservative University presidents that who are afraid of change and new competition. The ACC is also in the same position the Big East was in 2011, on the verge of getting raided. I don't want any part of the ACC for those reasons. The Big 10 should be the target, followed by the ACC (but only as a safety net). Pie in the sky? Abosolutely. But why discuss it otherwise.

Reaction Score
To be clear--I don't think he opted for Louisville. Commissioners don't have as much power as we think, sometimes. I think he assumed they would add UConn when Maryland left, just as he thought they were going to take Syracuse and UConn rather than Pitt. It's just that some of his member schools had other thoughts and concerns.

As for the rumors as a whole--they're obviously not real rumors. But the ACC intimated that they were taking Louisville over UConn and, to a lesser extent, Cincy, because the latter two schools had nowhere else to go, while the former had the B12. Anything in a major publication that suggests--even erroneously--that we could go anywhere else but the ACC has to scare them. They know they can be raided again, and despite what they'd have you believe, they know that once you get past UConn and Cincy, there are no other desirable east coast schools (sorry USF).

If we're taken off the table by someone and the ACC loses more than one school, they have to start looking at Temple, USF, and UCF--or take a school like UMass* because their academics aren't horrendous, or a school like Memphis because, despite their academics at least they have a live basketball program. Do they take SMU because there are decent academics there despite a program that got the death penalty? I mean, think about it, it's gruel on the east coast after UConn, and to a lesser extent, Cincy...

*I know they don't take UMass--but for all their talk about academics, after UConn, what is there? Although, I guess, once you take Louisville, academics go out the window...
I agree with this... Louisville was a defensive move because they might not have been there for the taking in the future. Uconn is presumed to have little options.
I am a little nervous if the ACC loses FSU or Miami... It's likely we get bumped by USF.

Reaction Score
I agree with this... Louisville was a defensive move because they might not have been there for the taking in the future. Uconn is presumed to have little options.
I am a little nervous if the ACC loses FSU or Miami... It's likely we get bumped by USF.

My belief is that Swofford proposed UConn thinking it was a no-brainer and the Presidents turned him down. And probably each President who voted for LV had a somewhat different reason.

Reaction Score

Louisville pacified FSU and Clemson. If the ACC loses one or more then that power block could become less influential, or it could swing the other way.

USF Sports seems to be a bit of dead ender, so I wouldn't sweat it. Cincy seems like a greater threat.

Reaction Score
Just open a Cracker Barrel, a Stuckeys and a Fireworks stand. Then, open a Duckhead outlet and erect a statue of Robert E. Lee. Done deal, sumbitch.
We already have Cracker Barrel's and firework tents in CT

Reaction Score

What about Stuckey's? We need more places that sell Peaches, Pecans, and . We need more jumbo sized gas station/travel plazas where you walk in, and the first thing you see is two dozen trucker caps festooned with pictures of Largemouth Bass/Whitetail Bucks and Confederate Flags. CULTURAL FIT.

Reaction Score

We have a Stucky's in CT too... just over the state line coming in from Rhode Island on 95 in North Stonington.

Reaction Score
That is exactly my point. The best current fit for UConn is the ACC, but they don't want UConn for some stupid, antiquated thinking by conservative University presidents that who are afraid of change and new competition. The ACC is also in the same position the Big East was in 2011, on the verge of getting raided. I don't want any part of the ACC for those reasons. The Big 10 should be the target, followed by the ACC (but only as a safety net). Pie in the sky? Abosolutely. But why discuss it otherwise.
to be fair, we are somewhat biased...

Reaction Score
Southern New England, Eastern seaboard, and we are looking for a conference. We just met the three SEC letter requirements, its a done deal!

EDIT: Wait, this is actually kind of a real rumor, not just us fooling around?

Reaction Score
To get that deal done, you absolutely MUST have Waffle Houses on every major highway exit off of I-84 & I-91!;)

Yes, but you have to throw in a Huddle House or two for good measure.

Reaction Score
Every time I see these threads I cringe. The ACC "football" schools wanted nothing to do with us, but the real football schools in the SEC do? Get real.

Reaction Score
Every time I see these threads I cringe. The ACC "football" schools wanted nothing to do with us, but the real football schools in the SEC do? Get real.
Have you been paying attention to the Big 10's recent expansion moves?

Reaction Score
What about Stuckey's? We need more places that sell Peaches, Pecans, and . We need more jumbo sized gas station/travel plazas where you walk in, and the first thing you see is two dozen trucker caps festooned with pictures of Largemouth Bass/Whitetail Bucks and Confederate Flags. CULTURAL FIT.

Having a Cabela's next to the Rent should help :D

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything to the SEC rumors, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Every move the ACC has made has been a shortsighted one. The B1G and SEC, on the other hand, are thinking about which moves will benefit their conferences the most in the long run (see Rutgers to the B1G potentially delivering some of the NYC market).

I'm not saying anything about UConn being a good move for the SEC because, again, I think there's no chance. But don't let the ACC idiots' opinions sway you.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything to the SEC rumors, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Every move the ACC has made has been a shortsighted one. The B1G and SEC, on the other hand, are thinking about which moves will benefit their conferences the most in the long run (see Rutgers to the B1G potentially delivering some of the NYC market).

I'm not saying anything about UConn being a good move for the SEC because, again, I think there's no change. But don't let the ACC idiots' opinion sway you.

I just asked an alum of a prominent SEC institution what he felt on the matter. I got back a blank stare and he expectorated into a spit cup.

There may be something to this rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32