UConn respect appears to be very high | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn respect appears to be very high

Reaction Score
No he enjoys like waving to the home team when we’re clobbering them. Keep in mind that in 2023 he was one of the most active bench guys doing celebrations and stuff like that
He will get animated like against NW after a block, like get that stuff out of here. Or as the announcers said, this is my city. Nothing out of the ordinary to show some emotion. The kid is 100% class.

Reaction Score
Clingan is about the most unique and humble kid there is. The 7'2 star who stayed with his local high school team all 4 years and stayed with his small independent AAU team the entire time. It's pretty much unheard of these days.

I can see Cam rubbing some the wrong way because he doesn't look like he should be destroying everyone on the court and yet he destroys everyone on the court while letting everyone know about it. I surprisingly heard from several non UConn fans he is their favorite player in the country.
I met him, he’s a great kid and humble. In competition I’m quite sure he can throw some talk out there and we’ve seen him celebrate. He’s competitive which is good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I understand that losing the entire starting lineup makes a 3 peat even less likely than getting the back to back. But I would love to see it happen. Plus the women win as well. A 3 peat and the third time both the men and women win in the same year would be a double trifecta. That would cement the respect.

If that happens not only would Storrs be the basketball capitol of the world it would bring more capital to UConn AND UConn will be able to rename itself THE UConn!

Reaction Score
I understand that losing the entire starting lineup makes a 3 peat even less likely than getting the back to back. But I would love to see it happen. Plus the women win as well. A 3 peat and the third time both the men and women win in the same year would be a double trifecta. That would cement the respect.

If that happens not only would Storrs be the basketball capitol of the world it would bring more capital to UConn AND UConn will be able to rename itself THE UConn!
I know it will be the talk all season but it’s crazy hard to do this. Even after Danny gets the whole team assembled it’s going to be unknown for awhile how everything comes together. I pray that our fans have patience. Is that asking too much?

Reaction Score
I get the hate for Spencer, but what did Clingan ever do to make fans of other teams think he's a jerk? Clog the lane and make it impossible for other teams to score?
Clingan does a lot of trash talking but it’s not as in your face like Cam does.

Here’s one of the many examples, and it’s both awesome and hilarious

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know it will be the talk all season but it’s crazy hard to do this. Even after Danny gets the whole team assembled it’s going to be unknown for awhile how everything comes together. I pray that our fans have patience. Is that asking too much?
I’m grounded in reality. So yes I’m aware of the unlikelihood. I’m aware that getting one NC over the entire history of a school’s involvement of a sport is unlikely. The odds of UConn’s achievements since 1995 are ridiculous. But one can dream can’t they?

So my rationale outlook for next year is different than my irrational hope.

Reaction Score
I was in Joplin MO visiting the grandkids recently proudly wearing my UConn championship shirt. In a place that is not exactly a hotbed for college CB, most comments were in the "Congrats" range. In second place was "what the hell are you doing out here?".

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We who have followed this forever have never seen offense so beautiful, and don’t we all remember how ugly it could be at times with the windshield washers?
Was it just the personnel over the last 2 seasons that made it possible? We’re going to see because quite a bit of this team is new or had not that much playing experience.
This doesn't worry me much, if at all. Hurley is pretty much hand picking guys to fill what he sees as a weak spots or weak backup spots for the top guys. And he's not courting anyone who doesn't have the mindset to learn the intricacies of the system he has in place. He hasn't really gone after many.
Personally, I'd love to see him grab a 7' plus guy with skills. But then I remind myself that Emeka was 6 foot 10 (IFRC, he was actually 6 foot 9 in the NBA draft measurements.) and he did alright(!) by us.

Reaction Score
Reddick and Greyson Allen must blush at this.
I am shocked the spelling police have not pulled you over for misspelling grayson. The boneyard is a mean place

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’ve had Duke fans make comments about Clingan or Spencer being jerks to opposing players or saying they taunt. I always respond you loved Laettner back to the older ones. Holy Pot Meet Kettle.
And for the younger ones Grayson Allen and the tripping fetish.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
That's how I always felt about Coach K. Personally disliked him, but respected the hell out of him. Maybe Hurley will get to coach Team USA at the Olympics some day.

"You screwed us"

Reaction Score
I've talked to many people who are fans of other schools, including Blue Bloods, and respect for our program seems to be quite high. They recognize, as Liam pointed out, that we've "made it work" using a variety of ingredients, but few 5-Star recruits. They respect this, and agree with us that Hurley ranks at the top of his profession, even though they may not like him personally.

Is there hatred for UConn? Maybe, but mostly it's respect, a bit of envy, and maybe a little concern that our program could be on the way to being a juggernaut.
Of course there is, just like UConn fans hate Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Carolina. The hatred is there, but there’s also respect now on both sides, something that wasn’t there 15 or 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
I was in Joplin MO visiting the grandkids recently proudly wearing my UConn championship shirt. In a place that is not exactly a hotbed for college CB, most comments were in the "Congrats" range. In second place was "what the hell are you doing out here?".
Ahh, Joplin, MO. I know it well. The largest truck stop in America. Every cheap hotel/motel chain and fast food joint in America can be found there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Women’s team performance next season, or any season, has no effect on national “respect” for the men’s program.

Reaction Score
I've talked to many people who are fans of other schools, including Blue Bloods, and respect for our program seems to be quite high. They recognize, as Liam pointed out, that we've "made it work" using a variety of ingredients, but few 5-Star recruits. They respect this, and agree with us that Hurley ranks at the top of his profession, even though they may not like him personally.

Is there hatred for UConn? Maybe, but mostly it's respect, a bit of envy, and maybe a little concern that our program could be on the way to being a juggernaut.
Baseball, Hockey and Football Programs would be nice to include as well garnering national respect. Maybe someday.

Reaction Score
And for the younger ones Grayson Allen and the tripping fetish.

Most recently that torch was passed to Filipowski who mastered the trip not only during the game but after the game with an opponents fan!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was in Aruba just prior to the start of the Big East Tournament last month, and when checking into the hotel I heard a loud UConn scream, I turned around and it it was a local hotel worker giving me a high five when he saw my shirt! He said he was a fan since Kemba.

And yes there were a decent # of UConn fans around too.

My Happy Island. So much to love about Aruba, from the beaches to the restaurants to the short 4.5 hours direct flights to the weather to being south of the hurricane zone

We stay at a Northeast Resort too :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Women’s team performance next season, or any season, has no effect on national “respect” for the men’s program.

I'll grant you victory in an argument that I did not see @ctchamps making.

UConn's basketball teams finished with #1 and #3 rankings.

If the logic offered in justifying the AP awarding of Kelvin Sampson as MBB Coach of the Year were applied to WBB voting, Geno would have presented a better case than Kelvin.

Danny winning the NBWA coaching award trued up with Dawn Staley's. This board isn't organized around passionate consideration of both teams, but "Where does UConn stand?" remains an animated conversation.

Just as MBB is aiming for a three-peat, WBB is aiming for a 12th national championship, which would exceed John Wooden's 11 at UCLA, and I do not believe would ever be exceeded. Geno Auriemma has already surpassed K in total victories, and with Tara VanderVeer's retirement he is likely in November to become the all-time winningest college basketball coach. I do not imagine that will ever be exceeded.

Two different sports? Yes
The same two sports? Yes

The women won't move the needle regarding the men for men who are inattentive, indifferent, or hostile to any linked consideration. That alone neither validates nor invalidates either point of view regarding UConn basketball universally.

In my opinion, "both/and" for the win.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Most recently that torch was passed to Filipowski who mastered the trip not only during the game but after the game with an opponents fan!
As I recall it, we were very much interested in Filipowski, and the feeling was mutual. And then Duke showed interest, and it was game over.

UConn's New England prep star interest pivoted to Alex. And major efforts succeeded in not having his transfer to IMG break the connection.

Correspondingly, there were high hopes that Donovan's AAU competition provided reliable indication that he wouldn't be too far behind in his development because he stayed local and played a lower level of competition within CIAC basketball at Bristol Central.

For those who like simple equations, 2>0.
(Times 2)

Kyle's questionable sportsmanship moves probably reflect his frustrations more than his personality, at least to the extent that we would have been thrilled to have recruited him successfully, whereas Grayson Allen seems pretty tough to defend.

As a final thought, it might not be too much of a stretch to consider that the recruiting victory with Liam McNeeley might represent the successful flowering from lessons learned during the recruitment of Cooper Flagg. In that sense, the, "It was much closer than you think" narrative may have indeed been a better view of second place than in David Mamet's "Glengarry Glen Ross"

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I pray that our fans have patience. Is that asking too much?
tv land GIF by YoungerTV

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom