UConn ranked #58 in USNWR | The Boneyard

UConn ranked #58 in USNWR

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don’t love being 18 spots behind Rutgers. Wtf happened
Rutgers is a great school whether we like it or not. It is going to be tough to break into the top 40 where it is populated with Ivy, public Ivy, and other well-known private schools.

We jumped eight spots from 66 to 58 so there was an improvement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Their new formula seems to have really changed this year's rankings quite a lot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut made the conscious decision to stop playing to the US news and world report criteria. That drops you in the rankings. The fact that we have jumped up makes me wonder if we have reverse that decision. I believe State support is one of the criteria, so that a university would jump up during a building/ expansion phase.

@upstater knows all the ins and outs of this well. I defer to him if I got any of that wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut made the conscious decision to stop playing to the US news and world report criteria. That drops you in the rankings. The fact that we have jumped up makes me wonder if we have reverse that decision. I believe State support is one of the criteria, so that a university would jump up during a building/ expansion phase.

@upstater knows all the ins and outs of this well. I defer to him if I got any of that wrong.
They changed the criteria, in part because so many schools stopped playing the games.

Reaction Score
Don’t follow this stuff but any survey that ranks UF significantly ahead of RPI in any category but weather and partying must be seriously flawed
The University of Florida is a highly competitive University in a large state. RPI, like many like many longstanding, northeast institutions are falling behind universities like UF or the numerous California universities in academic publication and grant based funding.

Reaction Score

Rutgers is surprisingly good academically. It's in the top-5 schools for PhDs on the planet in my wife's field. She got paid 45k a year to go to flippin' Yale and was rejected by Rutgers outright.

For whatever reason we seem to get compared with UMass and UMaryland a lot.

I'd expect the Florida schools to drop in the coming years. Talent is leaving their universities in droves.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Rutgers is surprisingly good academically. It's in the top-5 schools for PhDs on the planet in my wife's field. She got paid 45k a year to go to flippin' Yale and was rejected by Rutgers outright.

For whatever reason we seem to get compared with UMass and UMaryland a lot.

I'd expect the Florida schools to drop in the coming years. Talent is leaving their universities in droves.

Curious as to why you would you say Rutgers is surprisingly good academically? Jersey is typically considered to have one of the best public school systems in the country.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us eventually be in that 35-45 tier with Wisconsin, Illinois, and OSU. I'm surprised we're finally ahead of Villanova. They used to be in that BC/BU tier of northeast private schools. Why are they slipping?

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us eventually be in that 35-45 tier with Wisconsin, Illinois, and OSU. I'm surprised we're finally ahead of Villanova. They used to be in that BC/BU tier of northeast private schools. Why are they slipping?
It might be related to their reporting data issues this summer. IMO, 'Nova should be bucketed with Wake Forest and North Eastern's of the country, behind BC & BU.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The rankings are a total farce.

If you can go to Harvard, Stanford, Princeton etc. more power to you. Any school from 15 thru 250 is going to be the same thing.

Reaction Score
Don’t follow this stuff but any survey that ranks UF significantly ahead of RPI in any category but weather and partying must be seriously flawed
These guys change their formulas frequently. They used to be weighted toward student demographics, admissions difficulty and peer ratings. Now, in addition to the beauty pageant that is peer rankings, they are favoring "outcomes." If they used graduate salaries as the primary metric, it would tremendously benefit a school like RPI as mid-career average salary rankings generally put the school well inside the top 25. Engineers make good money. Instead USNWR is heavily weighted toward graduation rates as the measure of outcomes, which benefits schools that offer a wide variety of majors and a highly active social scene. Kids can generally find something they like and, quite frankly, for many they can find something relatively easy. Engineering and the physical sciences are hard (yes, you will study on weekends and no, the weekend doesn't start on Wednesday or Thursday night) and require a high level of passion or commitment, so many kids change majors. At Florida, that would probably mean transferring to another department that's easier or more in line with the student's interests. At RPI and other hardcore STEM schools that generally means transferring to another school. Combine that with the difference in social scene and it's not hard to see why primarily looking at graduation rates benefits a place like Florida. They really aren't comparable schools and the chosen metrics favor one over the other.

Reaction Score
Curious as to why you would you say Rutgers is surprisingly good academically? Jersey is typically considered to have one of the best public school systems in the country.

Most folks think of Rutgers as a dumpy commuter school where I'm from. It being #3 in the English speaking world in ANY field was a shock to me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Most folks think of Rutgers as a dumpy commuter school where I'm from. It being #3 in the English speaking world in ANY field was a shock to me.

Interesting. Pretty sure more students live on campus at Rutgers main campus than undergrads at UConn Storrs.

Rutgers is a horrible name for a state U. Probably gives off those vibes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Awesome! I’m hoping this will help us get an invite
We could be a top 20 school, and in the AAU with a top 10 football program and not get an “invite”. But BY is going to BY amirite @ZooCougar?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The US News rankings are not going to get us an invite to anything.

I suspect they’re not worth much of anything, save marketing, but one school that seems to be making strides is USF. Now in the top 100 somewhere and newly AAU.

Also building a new football stadium on campus.

If you want to know where our next realignment nightmare is going to come from, Tampa is a good guess.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And way ahead of rhe orange.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The US News rankings are not going to get us an invite to anything.

I suspect they’re not worth much of anything, save marketing, but one school that seems to be making strides is USF. Now in the top 100 somewhere and newly AAU.

Also building a new football stadium on campus.

If you want to know where our next realignment nightmare is going to come from, Tampa is a good guess.

It's sliding in as the #3 public behind UF And FSU and ahead of UCF.

Continuing a trend from the WSJ rankings a few weeks ago, FIU is making large gains in a these rankings. FIU amd FAU are dwfi itely siphoning off Florida kids who used to go to the U.

Reaction Score

Tied for 26th among public colleges with Stony Brook.

Tied for 3rd among public schools in northeast behind Rutgers and Maryland.

Tied for 26th among public colleges with Stony Brook.

Tied for 3rd among public schools in northeast behind Rutgers and Maryland.
Obviously not for hoops. I wonder what they use treasure thst. I would like to see rankings based on grad salaries 2. 5 and 10 years out.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget, we were like #19 or so a few years ago. We started dropping when we stopped playing the game. Not sure what the small bounce back is related to.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Don’t forget, we were like #19 or so a few years ago. We started dropping when we stopped playing the game. Not sure what the small bounce back is related to.
True, but our highest overall finish was 57th previously. More public schools have moved into the 40s and 50s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom