Uconn player with most undeserved bad reputation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn player with most undeserved bad reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about Jamal Coombs-McDaniel? By no means am I suggesting that he should be remembered as a great player, but he did play a key bench role on a team that won a national championship. There's no doubt he was a bit of a malcontent and far from a Calhoun favorite (his post-UConn days do him no favors in terms of perception), but hey, for all the pouting he might have done behind the scenes he still showed up every day and made some big plays that people might not remember. This thread has gone pretty predictably in that people are either offering great players who didn't reach the pinnacle of team success or divisive players, but to me Coombs is the perfect answer to a question like this. Criticized and neglected but still one of the only kids on the planet who can claim he won a national championship at UConn. Sometimes, when I re-watch games from the 2011 season, I'm completely taken aback because I had forgotten he was even on the team. In a way, that's too bad; hopefully he'll decide to re-join the UConn family and we'll embrace him as somebody who was a part of something special here.

Reaction Score
The next season Boeheim was on PTI and they asked him about the PG position. He said that you didn't need a great PG to win, Connecticut proved that last year.

Talie was better than JB gave him credit for and me too. I was just teasing intzclester above to razz him although I do have my doubts about him being the "driver"always will. They won with the guy who's to doubt what he accomplished along with the fact he was a 4 year Husky lot's of kudos for being one of the toughest for sure.

Reaction Score
AO and Roscoe will alawys be dead to me. They left the program in a very dire state, and if it weren't for Shabazz sticking it out, could have meant doooom.

Roscoe is my least favorite UConn player of all time. Saw him walking the 'celeron path' quite a few times and he was always being an idiot in many different ways. Also have a few other stories that will not go on a public message board, but later reaffirmed my opinion of him.

Reaction Score
I know it was awhile ago but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ricky. He was Taliek before Taliek existed. Ricky was frequently derided as "Rickety" on this board. That all changed when Ricky had the final word. But his defense wasn't recognized/acclaimed by the national media until JC made it a talking point during the 98-99 campaign.

I feel like we were on it here - starting with the 2-15 that Mateen Cleaves shot. Then KEA jumping on the scorer's table in December doesn't happen without Ricky locking down Vonteego Cummings (right after locking down Monty Mack in a too close win over UMass).

I hated Elijah Allen at the time, but maybe the 43 he dropped on us created a monster.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
1. Taliek Brown
2. Jerome Dyson
3. Marcus Johnson
4. Donnell Beverly
5. Rodney Purvis

Reaction Score
I'm gonna do it. I'm sorry. Amida Brimah.

Amida is class of 2017, along with myself. I've attended virtually every home game since the start of the 2013-2014 season (what a freshman year). Freshman year Amida literally struggled to walk and chew gum. He was so raw and weak. His hands were weak. He was always off balance, offensively and defensively. He struggled mightily with foul trouble.

Over the past 2 years I've seen tremendous growth in Amida. Does it show statistically? Well, yes, to be frank if you look at the analytical statistics and the basic ppg, rpg and what not. But the biggest spike in his development is in his basketball IQ. He makes less dumb mistakes. He has improved tremendously on staying out of foul trouble. Yes, it is still an issue at times, but he has gotten better. His hands, while still developing, have improved. Despite limited attempts, his FT % has improved from 57% to 65% all the way up to 81% this year. Not too shabby for a 7 footer. And obviously, his defensive presence has improved as well as he helps anchor our top 20 defense.

Most importantly, and probably the reason Brimah will be my favorite Husky of all time when said and done is the kids passion for UConn and the game of basketball itself. Often times we as fans get caught up in the moment and excessively criticize these players who owe us legitimately nothing. Brimah is always out there with a smile on his face and working his tail off. I'm damn proud to have Amida rep "UConn" across his chest.

Sometimes, it's more than just scoring and rebounding. His intangibles, energy, and passion are unparalleled and I really wish Husky nation could all get behind this guy and root for him.

Oh, not to mention the and-one he converted to save the season in 2014 en route to our 4th national championship.

Reaction Score
1. Taliek Brown
2. Jerome Dyson
3. Marcus Johnson
4. Donnell Beverly
5. Rodney Purvis

#1 and #2 I can understand, but who around here has any beef with Marcus Johnson or Donnell Beverly?

Also, I think the board has come around to appreciate Purvis's attitude and the way he reps the program. He can be a frustrating player, but he by no means has a bad reputation.

I'll add a vote for Rudy Gay.

Reaction Score
I always thought Dyson was hit pretty hard around here. If he had been healthy of course we may have #5 in '09.

I will never forget him losing a tooth vs DePaul early in his career, and just going back in no worse for the wear. He was so tough.

He had the whole package athletically, outside shot was a bit streaky for a 2G.

He was on that team that lost early in NIT in his Sr. Year that I think made some think his career wasn't as good as it was. Of course, that disappointment was followed by Kemba taking the young pups all the way in 2011, so it was a rough way to cap a strong Husky career.

Was always a fan of Rome!
Me too,big fan

Reaction Score
I'm gonna do it. I'm sorry. Amida Brimah.

Amida is class of 2017, along with myself. I've attended virtually every home game since the start of the 2013-2014 season (what a freshman year). Freshman year Amida literally struggled to walk and chew gum. He was so raw and weak. His hands were weak. He was always off balance, offensively and defensively. He struggled mightily with foul trouble.

Over the past 2 years I've seen tremendous growth in Amida. Does it show statistically? Well, yes, to be frank if you look at the analytical statistics and the basic ppg, rpg and what not. But the biggest spike in his development is in his basketball IQ. He makes less dumb mistakes. He has improved tremendously on staying out of foul trouble. Yes, it is still an issue at times, but he has gotten better. His hands, while still developing, have improved. Despite limited attempts, his FT % has improved from 57% to 65% all the way up to 81% this year. Not too shabby for a 7 footer. And obviously, his defensive presence has improved as well as he helps anchor our top 20 defense.

Most importantly, and probably the reason Brimah will be my favorite Husky of all time when said and done is the kids passion for UConn and the game of basketball itself. Often times we as fans get caught up in the moment and excessively criticize these players who owe us legitimately nothing. Brimah is always out there with a smile on his face and working his tail off. I'm damn proud to have Amida rep "UConn" across his chest.

Sometimes, it's more than just scoring and rebounding. His intangibles, energy, and passion are unparalleled and I really wish Husky nation could all get behind this guy and root for him.

Oh, not to mention the and-one he converted to save the season in 2014 en route to our 4th national championship.

Can o'worms opened. I need to know where that Kool Aid stand is you visit because that's really good if you have seen "tremendous" growth. I mean I get you guys love the kid because he's passionate and tries hard, that's all good I agree with that. But let's not try to make him into someone he has not been on the basketball court as far as impact.

Here's tremendous growth:

13-14 4.3/3.1/2.5
14-15 9.4/4.6/3.5 The trend seemed to be good so one would expect a whole new guy 15-16 right - maybe 11/7/4?

15-16 6.7/4.6/2.6 There's your tremendous growth.

Bottom line he is getting what he deserves. Can't put him in with Taliek, Ricky, Rudy in no way.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can o'worms opened. I need to know where that Kool Aid stand is you visit because that's really good if you have seen "tremendous" growth. I mean I get you guys love the kid because he's passionate and tries hard, that's all good I agree with that. But let's not try to make him into someone he has not been on the basketball court as far as impact.

Here's tremendous growth:

13-14 4.3/3.1/2.5
14-15 9.4/4.6/3.5 The trend seemed to be good so one would expect a whole new guy 15-16 right - maybe 11/7/4?

15-16 6.7/4.6/2.6 There's your tremendous growth.

Bottom line he is getting what he deserves. Can't put him in with Taliek, Ricky, Rudy in no way.

You need to juxtapose this with the fact that Brimah is perhaps the lowest-ranked recruit (top 300? top 350?) who isn't a grad transfer who's ever been asked to play multiple minutes. Hell, Tyler Olander had 3 or 4 other P5 offers. Brimah had just us and La Salle.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I always thought Dyson was hit pretty hard around here. If he had been healthy of course we may have #5 in '09.

I will never forget him losing a tooth vs DePaul early in his career, and just going back in no worse for the wear. He was so tough.

He had the whole package athletically, outside shot was a bit streaky for a 2G.

He was on that team that lost early in NIT in his Sr. Year that I think made some think his career wasn't as good as it was. Of course, that disappointment was followed by Kemba taking the young pups all the way in 2011, so it was a rough way to cap a strong Husky career.

Was always a fan of Rome!

I've always thought the most unfair label attributed to Dyson was that he never played on a team that won an NCAA tournament game. Technically that's correct, but he was a member of a team that went to the Final Four. It's not his fault he couldn't play in any of the games due to injury. As far as I'm concerned, he played on a team that won four NCAA tournament games, which wouldn't have necessarily made it to the tournament without him. What, if he had played in the NCAA tournament games would we have lost any of them because of him? If anything, we might have beaten Michigan State WITH him in that game. It's ridiculous to pin that label on him, regardless of what anybody may think about his off-the-court issues. The guy was a warrior in the Kevin Freeman-esque sense.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I don't know how many posters remember Jimmy Foster, who played for UConn in the early 1970s. He eventually led us to the NIT in 1973-4 (we beat. St. John's in the first game but blew a huge lead and lost to BCU in the second on the famous Berwanger last second shot). There was a time that year, that Foster, who was a highly regarded transfer from whom much was expected, was booed mercilessly (even at the Field House) when he played poorly in the opinion of the fans.

I remember Jimmy very well. He scored 27 points in that St. Patrick's Day NIT game vs. St. John's at MSG. The Redmen were heavily favored in that game. We won it 82-70.

And it wasn't Jimmy's fault we blew the big lead vs. BS College. It was Dee Rowe's fault for slowing the game down. We were kicking their asses and should have finished them off when we had the chance. He played it for us to run out the clock and it backfired. We lost all our momentum. I was at both of those games.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Roscoe is my least favorite UConn player of all time. Saw him walking the 'celeron path' quite a few times and he was always being an idiot in many different ways. Also have a few other stories that will not go on a public message board, but later reaffirmed my opinion of him.

Plus he embarrassed us all with that prematurely jacked shot in the game at Austin.....not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Reaction Score
You need to juxtapose this with the fact that Brimah is perhaps the lowest-ranked recruit (top 300? top 350?) who isn't a grad transfer who's ever been asked to play multiple minutes. Hell, Tyler Olander had 3 or 4 other P5 offers. Brimah had just us and La Salle.

No you don't. Even the top 300 get better elsewhere. He has NOT at a great school. No excuses sorry the size, athleticism and all is there and nothing. Really don't give a crap about other offers 3 years later thats BS.

Reaction Score
Brimah definitely improved from sophomore to junior year. Maybe not as much as we would have hoped, but the injury likely contributed to that. Hopefully next year he can put it all together.

Reaction Score
Has to be Jerome Dyson, can't tell you how many times I called out the guy or the posts on here, until one day we were playing a conference game (can't remember the opponent at the moment) he just emerged as a leader and turned out to be pretty good. He made me eat crow up until he played games in the NBA, and got that high scoring game, that I honestly thought was never going to happen.

Heck even Donnell Beverly, gets a bad rap for his shooting and passing, but he still was a member of various UConn teams, that featured Kemba, AJ, and even AO.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
#1 and #2 I can understand, but who around here has any beef with Marcus Johnson or Donnell Beverly?

Also, I think the board has come around to appreciate Purvis's attitude and the way he reps the program. He can be a frustrating player, but he by no means has a bad reputation.

I'll add a vote for Rudy Gay.

There's not too much of it for Marcus Johnson and Donnell Beverly these days, but during their playing days they were slammed pretty heavily (much more so Donnell Beverly). DBev is my among my top all-time favorite Husky role players. Without his contributions to team chemistry, we may not have hoisted a banner in 2011.

Reaction Score
No you don't. Even the top 300 get better elsewhere. He has NOT at a great school. No excuses sorry the size, athleticism and all is there and nothing. Really don't give a crap about other offers 3 years later thats BS.

Ok my bad alcohol induced - golf outing - so apologies for the harsh words. But no apologies for the thoughts, they remain the same, need to see a lot more 16-17.

Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas was a capable center who played in the late Perno years. Yet, I can remember so called fans shouting "stone hands, stone hands, stone hands" after he would make turnovers, both in the civic center and the field house. Never understood that kind of venom expressed towards our team as a kid, and don't understand it now (at the Ohio State game this year there was similar sentiment expressed towards Omar when he entered early in the game, which only stopped after his third made 3 pointer).
Ran into Corny Thompson at a dry cleaners just after we won the NIT. Good guy. I asked him why he didn't shoot much early in games and he said they tried to get Chuck points early or he would sulk and disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom