UConn-Penn State game preview | The Boneyard

UConn-Penn State game preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I wrote this late last night so I apologize for any typos and misstatements. I hate the Friday-Sunday games!!!

I do want to add the quote that Cat posted from Geno and I would like to point this out to any players considering UConn and their parents.

"One of things I was trying to explain to my players after we beat Stanford on Monday was that I felt we were a great team," said Auriemma. "Well, tonight, I wanted them to come out and prove that we are a great program. Those things are not necessarily the same. … We had the chance to prove that we don't rely on certain individuals. That's the strength, the culture we have created."

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Doggy thanks for staying up late to write this we all look forward to it every game. You do a Great job. I like your prediction UConn by 20. I think UConn caught everybody by surprise at MD yesterday. How good is UConn? Its silly how good they are. Most teams depend on their stars UConn doesn't. Penn St will be depending on Maggie and UConn will make it very difficult for her to score. Im sure Icebear will be at the game and I know Philster is going to be there so we can look forward to their posts after the game. I think many fans are relaxed after yesterday fairly easy win. Don't be. We still have to play hard and smart because we are down 2 players. Injuries and foul trouble are still an issue until we get MTuck and KML back and I hope we get at least one back by the Duke game. We need bodies. This is a special program and it is beginning to become apparent to me that becoming a part of it is truly a privilege. We are witnessing something special and it continues to get better.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy, Tony

I wouldn't be surprised if Geno starts out with the hated zone for the same reason as the Maryland game
and that keeps Penn State in the game for a while.

Alternately, he may decide that pressuring their limited guard corps may be the key and the game is a blow-out from minute one.

We'll just have to see.

If one was to look at any possible concern, it would be a mixture of over-confidence, fatigue, and/or passivity.

Do I think that's likely? No.

i figure it's Steff's turn to dominate and Chong to have a much better game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Saniya will be, understandably, up and down during the season. The only thing I expect from her is to try her best - the rest will be a rollercoaster.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Doggy, you're the pick of the litter.....I again enjoyed your analysis. Thanks. Up until now I didn't know that PSU played such a tall lineup and had so many freshmen. Good in the long run for them, but could be bad for this game. That Inexperience could be costly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy, Tony

I wouldn't be surprised if Geno starts out with the hated zone for the same reason as the Maryland game
and that keeps Penn State in the game for a while.

Alternately, he may decide that pressuring their limited guard corps may be the key and the game is a blow-out from minute one.

We'll just have to see.

If one was to look at any possible concern, it would be a mixture of over-confidence, fatigue, and/or passivity.

Do I think that's likely? No.

i figure it's Steff's turn to dominate and Chong to have a much better game.
You don't zone a three point shooter. Lucas would eat that up. Look for mostly man to man as usual. The switching man to man against Maryland was as Geno said, the best he's seen in a while. It was devastating.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy, you're the pick of the litter.....I again enjoyed your analysis. Thanks. Up until now I didn't know that PSU played such a tall lineup and had so many freshmen. Good in the long run for them, but could be bad for this game. That Inexperience could be costly.
The main thing I try to do is inform. Glad I could help.

Reaction Score
You don't zone a three point shooter. Lucas would eat that up. Look for mostly man to man as usual. The switching man to man against Maryland was as Geno said, the best he's seen in a while. It was devastating.
Depends on which zone, I'd be thinking box and one or maybe triangle and two given their strengths. Depends on circumstances as the game progresses.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
DD - a bit of a diss leaving Pulido and Lawlor off the team.

Reaction Score
Depends on which zone, I'd be thinking box and one or maybe triangle and two given their strengths. Depends on circumstances as the game progresses.
Don't think I've ever seen UConn use those types of defenses but I guess it's possible. I agree with doggydaddy about making Lucas work hard to get her shots off.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD - a bit of a diss leaving Pulido and Lawlor off the team.

I don't think so. More contrary posting? You think they will play Sunday? Only if Uconn is up 30 with 2 minutes left.

Reaction Score

I dont believe UCONN will play these type of defenses unless something extreme is happening. I doubt they've ever practiced it in 10 + years. As what CD once said, to paraphrase, "teams have to adjust to us, not us to them." Our offense should steamroll.

Reaction Score
PSU has not been tested and it will show early and often on Sunday...............Buffalo Wild Wings will have the game on if you do not have AT+T or The DISH..........UCONN by 30+

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This game is only on the Big 10 TV Network???

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't think so. More contrary posting? You think they will play Sunday? Only if Uconn is up 30 with 2 minutes left.

Doesn't matter what I think. They are either part of the team or they are not. If they are part of the team then they deserve to be mentioned along with the other players.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what I think. They are either part of the team or they are not. If they are part of the team then they deserve to be mentioned along with the other players.
In a list of players on the roster? Sure.

In a game analysis against a top 25? I don't agree.

Feel free to mention them in your next game analysis.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
PSU Could be beat by 40+ or by 15 again. They are a complete unknown this season. There really isn't enough information yet to know anything about them.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
PSU Could be beat by 40+ or by 15 again. They are a complete unknown this season. There really is't enough information yet to know anything about them.
Yeah, I kinda said that. You can't even figure out the cut down rotation for a tough game like this. I don't think their coach even knows.

It could get really ugly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, I kinda said that. You can't even figure out the cut down rotation for a tough game like this. I don't think their coach even knows.

It could get really ugly.
Very true. I was just giving some local awareness of how unknown this team is here, as well. All information about the team locally in simply inconclusive. Many thought the preseason ranking was surprisingly high.

Reaction Score
As always, a great report, Doggy. I think you could be a tad conservative with the final margin, but as many have pointed out, PSU is really unknown at this point. I'm just feeling good about getting the game on Dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom