UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our chances of getting Macy are low, she follows ND's staff. But I would love to land her.
Our chance of Brynn seems high IF UCONN actually made an offer (which according to some, Geno did)
Our chance of Somfai is practically confirmed. 3/5 of her top choices changed staff, and they would have to give her a new offer. She follows our team IG, players' IG, and the UConn general account on IG. I'd say we land her.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'd love for Macy to choose us but if not, I'd rather have her sign with Louisville instead. It scares me though because she looks like a ND kind of player. Not even sure if there's an offer out to McGaughey. My gut tells me Brynn is headed to Iowa. Kinda reminds me of another talented player whose dream school was also UConn and after not receiving any offer went on to have a record-breaking career with the Hawks. Can't remember her name...

As far as Somfai goes, no such thing as a lock. She talked about her dad's love for Stanford at length on one of the podcasts I listened to and how he was super hyped to go with his daughter when/if she visits the Farm. Not sure if the new coach will change his enthusiasm. Now, I'd be super excited if we can sign any one (or two if there's room) of the three but...if coach can land only one I really hope it's Lara.
CC said she wanted to be recruited by UConn, however, never said she had interest to play at UConn. Geno was recruiting Paige, the #1 in the 2020 class, he went all in on PB early and often, and it would have sent mixed messages to also be recruiting a player with a similar skillset.

Reaction Score
I would love to get Macy. I don’t know if she’s visited other schools after UConn. So, if we were her last visit (I think she was on campus around NYE) hopefully it pays off.

Reaction Score
Reportedly she's visited ND multiple times and follows their staff and players. However, she also follows Coach Valley and a couple of our players. It's up to chance.

Reaction Score
Would love to know how Geno views the big 2025 prospects and how they could be used. Apparently all three of Lara, Bryn, and Leah are high on Uconn which makes me think getting one of them is a near certainty. We might only be interested in one, and surely wouldn't consider 3, but could Leah and Lara work? I don't know.

I see Lara as mostly a 4 but big enough she could play a little at the 5, whereas Leah has good ball handling and an outside shot that makes me think she could play some 3, and be more of a 3/4 swing type player. She is probably a little slow for a 3 but very strong, and with 3 skills.

If someone doesn't come back that could, then we would have two spots assuming we don't add more than one year in the portal this year. In that case a combo of Leah and Laura might be possible if they wouldn't overlap too much, but i suspect we are looking for one of the three not two.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Macy, McGaughey, and Somfai. Which, if any, do we get? Do we have space for 2 or 3 of them? How do they compare with Ice and Ayanna?

Macy has narrowed her list to 4, including UConn, and will announce this afternoon. I wouldn't call Leah especially athletic, but her shooting percentages are crazy good. N.D. has had too much success in the portal of late, so I hope Leah doesn't go in that direction. My wild guess is Louisville, though UConn is a real possibility.

McGaughey has said that UConn is her dream school. We are still on her list. It was unclear to many of us as to whether she actually had an offer. Nan's list says that she does, so I'll go with that. If Macy chooses UConn, Brynn goes elsewhere.

Somfai's social media strongly suggests UConn, plus she plays with Kelis Fisher. Though it's not certain, I think we get Lara.

We already have Gandy and Kelis coming in. How much more room is there? We know that Kaitlyn will leave and Aubrey most likely will, assuming she plays at all. How will Caroline fare? What will Paige and Azzi do? It's an interesting situation.
I believe that by the time the three of them are in college, Ice and Ayanna will be on their way to being stars.

Reaction Score
I believe that by the time the three of them are in college, Ice and Ayanna will be on their way to being stars.
Ice maybe. Ayanna? I dunno about that one. She hasn't played in nearly 2 years, and wasn't super good when she was out there. Good at getting to the glass, but no outside shot.

Reaction Score
Would love to know how Geno views the big 2025 prospects and how they could be used. Apparently all three of Lara, Bryn, and Leah are high on Uconn which makes me think getting one of them is a near certainty. We might only be interested in one, and surely wouldn't consider 3, but could Leah and Lara work? I don't know.

I see Lara as mostly a 4 but big enough she could play a little at the 5, whereas Leah has good ball handling and an outside shot that makes me think she could play some 3, and be more of a 3/4 swing type player. She is probably a little slow for a 3 but very strong, and with 3 skills.

If someone doesn't come back that could, then we would have two spots assuming we don't add more than one year in the portal this year. In that case a combo of Leah and Laura might be possible if they wouldn't overlap too much, but i suspect we are looking for one of the three not two.
Lara has got to be a UCONN commit based on her 3/5 of her top 5 not having a new offer for her with the staff change. Brynn, if she has an offer, is also an incredibly high chance with us being her dream school. Leah is 90% ND I'm convinced, but who knows. All I can say is Lara for sure is UCONN based on what I can see.

Reaction Score
Macy, McGaughey, and Somfai. Which, if any, do we get? Do we have space for 2 or 3 of them? How do they compare with Ice and Ayanna?

Macy has narrowed her list to 4, including UConn, and will announce this afternoon. I wouldn't call Leah especially athletic, but her shooting percentages are crazy good. N.D. has had too much success in the portal of late, so I hope Leah doesn't go in that direction. My wild guess is Louisville, though UConn is a real possibility.

McGaughey has said that UConn is her dream school. We are still on her list. It was unclear to many of us as to whether she actually had an offer. Nan's list says that she does, so I'll go with that. If Macy chooses UConn, Brynn goes elsewhere.

Somfai's social media strongly suggests UConn, plus she plays with Kelis Fisher. Though it's not certain, I think we get Lara.

We already have Gandy and Kelis coming in. How much more room is there? We know that Kaitlyn will leave and Aubrey most likely will, assuming she plays at all. How will Caroline fare? What will Paige and Azzi do? It's an interesting situation.
I expect Paige, Aubrey and Azzi to move on to the WNBA after next season..........no way of knowing what Caroline will do until she's free to play and at 100%.........

Reaction Score

1) Obviously I don't know Auriemma's preferences but my priority would be Somfai/McGaughy and then Macy. Somfai and McGaughy's games are very, very similar in every way. Both 6-3 and prototype 4/3s. Big enough to play inside and plenty skilled enough to play on the perimeter. You can't go wrong with either. See #3.
2) I believe your math is correct. With Chen, Bueckers and Griffin leaving and not filling the last roster spot this year, that would open 4 slots. Gandy, Fisher and two more.
3) I have a feeling that UConn will get 1 of the 3 also. With HS coaches and personal trainers being so well informed now, the top 50 or so recruits are very aware of the depth charts of the schools a kid is involved with. I have to think Somfai and McGaughy are aware of each other's games and of UConn's interest in each and might prefer playing at different places. But it would be great to be wrong and get both.

Reaction Score
1) Obviously I don't know Auriemma's preferences but my priority would be Somfai/McGaughy and then Macy. Somfai and McGaughy's games are very, very similar in every way. Both 6-3 and prototype 4/3s. Big enough to play inside and plenty skilled enough to play on the perimeter. You can't go wrong with either. See #3.
2) I believe your math is correct. With Chen, Bueckers and Griffin leaving and not filling the last roster spot this year, that would open 4 slots. Gandy, Fisher and two more.
3) I have a feeling that UConn will get 1 of the 3 also. With HS coaches and personal trainers being so well informed now, the top 50 or so recruits are very aware of the depth charts of the schools a kid is involved with. I have to think Somfai and McGaughy are aware of each other's games and of UConn's interest in each and might prefer playing at different places. But it would be great to be wrong and get both.
Agree with point 1. Even though Somfai is ranked lower, I would rather have her because of her versatility. Somfai is actually 6'4. 1/3 is practically guaranteed, Brynn is a stretch until we see a visit from her, and Macy seems like she's ND bound.

Reaction Score
Agree with point 1. Even though Somfai is ranked lower, I would rather have her because of her versatility. Somfai is actually 6'4. 1/3 is practically guaranteed, Brynn is a stretch until we see a visit from her, and Macy seems like she's ND bound.
On ASGR Somfai is ranked #3 overall and ahead of the other two. That ranking also had Fisher higher than ESPN and Gandy popped up at 26. Since Somfai and Gandi are relatively new to this country I think there ratings are starting to catch up to their abilities.

Reaction Score
On ASGR Somfai is ranked #3 overall and ahead of the other two. That ranking also had Fisher higher than ESPN and Gandy popped up at 26. Since Somfai and Gandi are relatively new to this country I think there ratings are starting to catch up to their abilities.
Yeah, on ESPN she's a 4 star at #33 which feels way too low haha. Gandy I don't even think is on there when she should be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be entirely surprised If Macy knew ahead of time that Somfai was pretty much committed to UConn..........that's my purely speculative positive spin on her decision......

Somfai committed, told Macy, but hasn't announced? Don't buy that one.

Reaction Score
It’s difficult to say which of the three is the best player. For a long time I ranked McGaughy as the best, both skill wise and in terms of being a UConn girl but Macy has put up some astounding numbers this year! She seems to be a dominant scorer and rebounder. I have to say I find her a little less “perfect” for UConn but can’t really say why. Probably shaded by McGaughy’s obvious love for UConn. I don’t really know much about Somfai but everyone seems to be very high on her. I don’t really think we can go wrong with any of them!
I do hope those who are pushing for Macy to ND are wrong though. That team is becoming a real problem. If they get Macy to pair with Koval, plus Hidalgo for two more years, and Ivey keeps bringing in top level recruits, they are likely to be as good or better than Muffet’s era!
I’d like to see her go to Vandy and play for Shea or Louisville with Walz.

Reaction Score
it's pure conjecture but I'm thinking that possibly UConn mentioned that they have other forwards with serious interest.........we'll never know unless none of the three end up in Storrs.....

Reaction Score
It’s difficult to say which of the three is the best player. For a long time I ranked McGaughy as the best, both skill wise and in terms of being a UConn girl but Macy has put up some astounding numbers this year! She seems to be a dominant scorer and rebounder. I have to say I find her a little less “perfect” for UConn but can’t really say why. Probably shaded by McGaughy’s obvious love for UConn. I don’t really know much about Somfai but everyone seems to be very high on her. I don’t really think we can go wrong with any of them!
I do hope those who are pushing for Macy to ND are wrong though. That team is becoming a real problem. If they get Macy to pair with Koval, plus Hidalgo for two more years, and Ivey keeps bringing in top level recruits, they are likely to be as good or better than Muffet’s era!
My analysis about Somfai's recruitment:
1. She follows the team account on IG plus plaeyrs
2. She follows the UCONN account for all things UCONN.
3. She has us in a Top 5 where 3/5 have new coaches, who haven't offered her from what we know. So she only has 2 possible choices as of now, us and Duke.
4. She has a photo on IG of her as a kid with a UCONN jersey.
So it definitely seems like she likes us. Not to mention her HS teammate Kelis Fisher is committed here as well.

Reaction Score
I don't either. Macy was never coming to UConn regardless. There were several midwest area options with more favorable long term depth charts for her.

Reaction Score
See post #288 above. She's already gone to ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom