UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

She could be a nice pick-up for Uconn

I like her style. She's not a BIG big, but she's quick and has good instincts.

Coming from Vic's program, I'd expect her to be a real defender. But I'm not sure she actually is. She averaged just under 20 minutes in a loaded front court. I wonder why she's leaving. Is it because she didn't like how demanding Vic's defensive schemes are, or is it because she wanted more minutes? Either one of these would suggest she wouldn't like UConn as a destination.

Reaction Score
UConn only has one true point guard and that is KK...If she were to get hurt? They would be in trouble against Ohio St., SC, ND or any of the power houses next year...That is what I feel Geno is thinking?
I just don’t get this “ one true point guard” stuff. Last time I looked we have probably the best point guard in the entire country on our team! Sure, KK is a PG but she’s certainly not our only or best one!

Reaction Score
uconnever- - What does Nika Muhl have to do to earn your respect?
With the records she's broken and the love and respect shown by her teammates and coaches she's earned her place among UConn's great players!
You’ve gotta be kidding me! Are we still having the Nika thing? You do know she’s in he W now? Surely even the most fervid Nika worshiper would concede that Paige is, and has always been since she arrived at UConn, the best point guard on the roster? Nika was a treasure and did a great job but she has never been the best point guard on this team. That’s not a knock on her either! it just so happened that she was on the same team as Paige Bueckers!

Reaction Score
Never said that, nor do I think it. I’m merely reflecting on something Geno has said a few times over the years, that he would often favor a younger player over the senior (pre-Covid exception) because he has to think longer term about the program. Even if Chen is better than KK, Geno still needs to bring along his “franchise” pg more than he needs to give minutes to a grad transfer. And I suspect Chen was a better scorer than KK last season, though it’s probably apples and oranges. But even if that’s a given, it may not be enough to dislodge KK. This is what I was thinking. It’s not about a guaranteed spot for KK. It’s about prioritizing the program over a single season player. Chen needs to accept this before Geno will make her an offer.

The threat to KK’s spot won’t come from Chen, as I see it. But it may come from Morgan. She’s a capable pg who can push pace just like KK. And she’s in the mold of Evina, a big quick ball handler who can be a formidable defender. It’s worth remembering that Evina often played pg even when Nika was available, or even in the game.
I agree that Morgan is a capable (and welcome) addition to the pg cadre but I don’t really agree that she’s any threat to KK. They are simply too different. I see them more as complementary, sort of a “change of pace” duo that Geno can mix and match according to particular match-ups.

Reaction Score

She could be a nice pick-up for Uconn

At this point, as long as we get at least one big from the portal I’ll be happy. I wouldn’t be upset with Amina Muhammad either. I’ve always liked what I see from her. I especially like that she would only be a junior, so we could have 2 years to develop her more. The more time that goes by, the less I think we’ll get Raegan Beers or Iriafen so I think we need to jump on any opportunity for a big

Reaction Score
Let’s review
Paige Bueckers, what is the national player of the year as a point guard?
In her injury play sophomore year she played is the point guard as well
But why disrupt the scheme if we don't have to. Paige is on a path to develop as an off ball facilitating G/F for her pro career so let's let her do that. We all owe her that. If we have the opportunity to obtain an experienced very good PG who was coached by a UConn family member then we should do it for spot #14 and hold spot #15 for a big. We have 2 spots.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
But why disrupt the scheme if we don't have to. Paige is on a path to develop as an off ball facilitating G/F for her pro career so let's let her do that. We all owe her that.
Do we really know Paige wants to play off ball as a pro? Geno moved her off ball when team was decimated, because Nika '23 and KK '24 weren't really suited to do that. (Nika did a nice job playing off ball in a similar situation to Paige, as a senior)

There was just some kid from Iowa, and one recently from Oregon, (and a new one from USC) who showed you can do quite a bit with the ball in your hands and even get a little publicity for it.

Reaction Score
The beauty of having Paige on the roster is that she’s so incredibly skilled which makes her able to be really versatile. You can play her at the PG spot and she’ll excel. You can put her on the wing and she’ll excel. And in spite of what I would’ve thought, you could player her at the 4, and she excels. This quality really saved our season. If she wasn’t willing or able to play the 4, we never would’ve had the successful 4 guard lineup we had. Ice would’ve had to play major minutes in place of either KK or Shade.

Her best position may be one thing, but when Geno builds the roster/game plan, he builds the best team. Paige has shown she can be great from anywhere, if someone is an available transfer and can enhance one facet of the game, Paige can be moved to enhance another.

Now with that being said, I do hope we use her to her full potential next year. I thought defensively banging in the post took some away from her offensive game. On paper we have more post options to move her back to the perimeter defensively. But at the end of the day I care more about the team success, than someone like Paige averaging a few extra points or assists per game. Any transfer Geno feels will help accomplish this is welcome in my book.

Reaction Score
UConn only has one true point guard and that is KK...If she were to get hurt? They would be in trouble against Ohio St., SC, ND or any of the power houses next year...That is what I feel Geno is thinking?
Paige Bueckers is a point guard...........the fact that she is also a great shooting guard or small forward doesn't take away from the fact that she's a superb distributor of the ball.......now Geno may want her in another position but that doesn't mean she wouldn't do a great job if needed.......

Reaction Score
I like her style. She's not a BIG big, but she's quick and has good instincts.

Coming from Vic's program, I'd expect her to be a real defender. But I'm not sure she actually is. She averaged just under 20 minutes in a loaded front court. I wonder why she's leaving. Is it because she didn't like how demanding Vic's defensive schemes are, or is it because she wanted more minutes? Either one of these would suggest she wouldn't like UConn as a destination.
I wonder if she knows that another big may be on her way to Texas......?

Reaction Score
I wonder if she knows that another big may be on her way to Texas......?
Could be. Or maybe she's hedging her bets. If she waits til after May 1 to enter the portal and then Texas picks up another big, she would have to wait a year for eligibility. Or she could stay and potentially ride the bench.

Reaction Score
But why disrupt the scheme if we don't have to. Paige is on a path to develop as an off ball facilitating G/F for her pro career so let's let her do that. We all owe her that. If we have the opportunity to obtain an experienced very good PG who was coached by a UConn family member then we should do it for spot #14 and hold spot #15 for a big. We have 2 spots.
The foolishness of your post suggesting that Paige Beckers needs to develop her guard and forward skills for a pro career is beyond the pale
She is and always will be the best point guard in college basketball....and that’s where she will be in the wnba. Period Full stop

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have difficulty with any suggestion that the best UConn back court combination when (and if) everyone on the roster is healthy could be any pair other than Paige and Azzi (PB and the J). If some other arrangement has to be made at the start of the season while Azzi completes her recovery, then that arrangement should be strictly temporary.

If Paige and Azzi are accepted as starters, then the only way that KK, Kaitlin Chen, or anyone else could be in the starting lineup is if UConn goes with a 3-guard lineup. At the beginning of the year, When Azzi and Aubrey may not be 100%, that is a reasonable option, but not afterwards. There are plenty of potential 3's on the roster (Caroline, Morgan, and Aubrey) who would offer more size and rebounding than a third guard, without any sacrifice in offensive production. Even Sarah could play the 3 and be a better option than a 3rd guard.

The depth chart for the 1 and 2 positions includes Paige, Azzi, KK, Ashlynn, and Allie already. That is a lot of injury insurance. Is it really fair to Kaitlin or anyone else to bring her in for yet more injury insurance? Or, if she turns out to be better than KK, Ashlynn, or Allie, is it fair to reduce their minutes to the vanishing point and make them into just injury insurance?

I agree that Paige's long-term position in the WNBA and other pro leagues is as a point guard. The reason Geno has played her off the ball is that UConn has been starved for other perimeter scoring threats. But (sans injuries) that will not be the case next season, so Paige should go back to her natural position, and UConn can take maximum advantage of her court vision.

Reaction Score
I'll keep my responses civil without shade unlike others.

In my opinion, DT is also a point guard and probably the best PG to never really play the position. I would argue that is Paige's path when you look at her size, scoring ability, facilitating skills, and just all around bball skill.

I personally would like her to mentally keep moving in that direction to develop her scorer's mentality and being off the ball helps that. She can do so much for a team without having the burdens of being the on paper PG.

And as a teacher, there is always an opportunity to grow and develop. Paige is amazing but perfection is a journey not a destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom