UCONN Non-Conference Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Non-Conference Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I did not say fans would be disappointed if UConn didn't win every game by 15+. I said that IF FANS EXPECT UCONN TO WIN EVERY GAME BY 15+ POINTS (EXCEPT BAYLOR AND PERHAPS DUKE), the fans would be disappointed. That's a HUGE difference and I cannot believe that I am getting so much flack over it.
Simply because you are preaching to a group of people who clearly know and understand UConn basketball and its tradition far more than you.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Look. Winning every single game by 15 points or more IS difficult. That was MY point. If I am nitpicking because I am pointing out that (for whatever reason) they were unable to accomplish that feat in the past, how does negate my argument? Yes, it's very, very hard.

And Icebear, one or more posters said they fully expected UConn to win each game by 15 points or more. I do not see how my statement reveals my ignorance of UConn's accomplishments or tradition. Your post appears condenscending.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I did not say fans would be disappointed if UConn didn't win every game by 15+. I said that IF FANS EXPECT UCONN TO WIN EVERY GAME BY 15+ POINTS (EXCEPT BAYLOR AND PERHAPS DUKE), the fans would be disappointed. That's a HUGE difference and I cannot believe that I am getting so much flack over it.
Patience, visiting WCBB fan. You have shown that you can contribute here, at least to me, and we are not so stupid as to think fans of other teams can't add to the discussion. Well, at least most of us anyway. So I hope you can overlook the tendency by some here to be dismissive of "outsider's" opinions.

I would add that saying "follow the thread" can be taken as an insult, so I would not be so quick to respond as you did. Just a thought to try to help you enjoy your stay.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Look. Winning every single game by 15 points or more IS difficult. That was MY point. If I am nitpicking because I am pointing out that (for whatever reason) they were unable to accomplish that feat in the past, how does negate my argument? Yes, it's very, very hard.

And Icebear, one or more posters said they fully expected UConn to win each game by 15 points or more. I do not see how my statement reveals my ignorance of UConn's accomplishments or tradition. Your post appears condenscending.
It was meant to sound condescending since I was trying to echo your tone. I was not the only one who had that feeling given the responses of other posters. When you come into a place it is usually helpful to get the lay of the land a bit before deciding to tell people what their team can or cannot do.

I agree the winning every game by 15 is extremely unlikely, however, it is very possible for the team to win every game by 10 points outside of Baylor. I responded to your post about winning by 10 points not those speaking of 15 points. It is a fan board, fans will always be excited about their team and CT fans are used to far more success than most and Geno knows how to manage unrealistic expectations far better than most because as Geno has said again and again UConn never plays to a score or an opponent they play to play the game a particular way. What Geno steadfastly calls the right way. Invariably opponents note the 40 minutes never take a play off effort of UConn on BOTH ends of the court. If teams average 45 PPG against UConn and UConn averages 75+ PPG throughout the schedule there will be relatively few games that threaten to go under 10 points margin of victory. Manage those well and it becomes very, very possible.

That is why UConn has had so many seasons that have come so close to what seems impossible. Look at how many top 10 teams have suffered 25, even 30 point losses against UConn and tell me it is unreasonable to believe in the possibility of running a season by 10 PPG.

No one believed back to back undefeated seasons and 90 in a row is a practical choice either but guess what? It happened. Undefeated has happened regularly at UConn, long streaks are common, never question what is possible simply because it is not probable.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

If that was your point, you should have just said that. And I don't think anyone would disagree that it's not easy. And I didn't think it was each game or every single game. I believe Baylor and Duke were singled out as teams that UConn would not beat by 15+.

That being said, we have seen Geno's teams to things that are difficult and that no other team has done before. And with everyone but Hayes coming back and adding the best recruiting class in years that includes someone as impressive as Stewart, some here think it is possible. I know, one said it would happen and that is who you had a problem with.

I appreciate you posting here, although I haven't agreed with you much. Keep on posting!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I have a question, (hope no one minds my "choking" off this thread for a moment..) is UConn playing Holy Family University of Philadelphia or Holy CROSS in Mass. (like usual) in the non-conference schedule? I was wondering, since we have played HC for years, if it was a typo, or a real schedule change.
Inquiring minds want to know....Thanks!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree that UConn seldom lowers its play to the level of their competition, but you are clearly overstating your case here. Since the 2000-2001 season (12 seasons), UConn has only beaten all its opponents (in the regular season) by more than 10 once (2009-2010), and they've never even come close to beating them all by 15. In the 2008-9 season, there were 9 games decided by 15 points or less (despite the fact that UConn's smallest margin of victory was 10 points (twice: Notre Dame and Rutgers). So UConn is 1 for 12 and came very close another time, so I wouldn't say that UConn has been very successful at navigatig that path.
In 2001-02, only one game was won by less than 10 points, a 9 point win over VA Tech. And Tech needed a Phabulous Phantom Phoul on Diana Taurasi to make that happen.

Reaction Score
I have a question, (hope no one minds my "choking" off this thread for a moment..) is UConn playing Holy Family University of Philadelphia or Holy CROSS in Mass. (like usual) in the non-conference schedule? I was wondering, since we have played HC for years, if it was a typo, or a real schedule change.
Inquiring minds want to know....Thanks!!

It's an exhibition game, and it's not against Holy Cross.

Holy Cross elected not to play UConn this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
in the 2008-2009 season what was the average of uconn beating everyone else wasn't it 23 or by 33 points??? This uconn team i think will match that margin
I believe that the 2001-02 team holds the record for average margin of victory at 34+ or so. Both the 2008-09 and 2009-10 teams were close to that, so 33 sounds right. 23 is way too low.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I cant wait to post my "Score Predictions" threads... ;)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It's an exhibition game, and it's not against Holy Cross.

Holy Cross elected not to play UConn this year.

Thanks, VG! Clarification much appreciated!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looks like nitpicking to me.

The 80-68 game was against Stanford not Duke. UConn was up 22 with 4 minutes left and it was an 18 point lead with 2 minutes left. UConn eased up on defense.

Against St. John's, UConn was up 23 with 6:43 left. 17 with 4:22 left. And 17 with 25 seconds left.

Against ND, It was closer than any other game other than the final. But 15 point win fits in to me. I might have misread, but I thought the criteria was 15+.

It was argued this past season that Destiny Williams was not a double-digit scorer for Baylor when she was averaging 9.9 points per game. Luckily, she finished the year at 10.1 to put her at a legitimate double-digit scorer, so your point is well taken as Williams was clearly a player capable of double-digit scoring each time out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was argued this past season that Destiny Williams was not a double-digit scorer for Baylor when she was averaging 9.9 points per game. Luckily, she finished the year at 10.1 to put her at a legitimate double-digit scorer, so your point is well taken as Williams was clearly a player capable of double-digit scoring each time out.

Can you put me back on ignore?

Reaction Score
What happened with Marist? I'm from Poughkeepsie.... Kind of curious now.
Great school, great team, great coach. The problem is you can sit in the back row at mid-court and look around and see if anybody you know is there. A home-and-home would be an impossibility.

Reaction Score
it really looks like there just won't be all that many games that will be interesting to watch. baylor,duke , stanford, ??

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looks like Baylor has UCONN, Stanford, Tennessee and Kentucky confirmed so far for non-conference. Tennessee is probably not going to be much of a challenge. Hopefully Stanford and Kentucky are better games. We all know that UCONN is going to be a barn burner.

Reaction Score
I still think this team next year beats Baylor by at least 10 next year at uconn .. and Duke by 20 .. lol .. (these are MY OPINIONS)

Reaction Score
it looks like we will end Stanford's home winning streak .. sometime right before 2012 is over with ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom