UConn Needs KML | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Needs KML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, I meant pre-injury, this year, the year before, all the games she played prior to the ones where she was injured and/or sick. :)

Reaction Score
I would like to nominate this post for the Understatement of the Week post. ;)
I'm not going to agree with either of your remarks because I think there's a real possibility that UConn could beat Notre Dame without KML. I however do have a major preference for her being in the lineup because it obviously makes UConn that much harder to defend but I don't think that if she was out of the lineup it would be all over but the shouting. You have to remember how UConn performed earlier in the season without her and Tuck against top ten teams. I realize ND is probably a step above those teams we beat in that span of time but I'm surely not going to assume we couldn't beat them. I'm hopeful that neither she nor any other Huskie has any health issues that would prevent them from being 100% for the entire tournament because I want UConn to have all the manpower (womanpower) they can have. My point is I wouldn't assume that we couldn't or wouldn't beat Notre Dame with her out of the lineup. Would you suggest that were that to happen that Geno just forfeited the game????? I don't think so!

Reaction Score
KLM GOT GAME. When she's in the game we have a better chance to score. She does everything to perfection. Uconn definitely needs her to go all the way.
Untrue! She is a big asset but I don't think it's proven that UConn couldn't win it all with her out of the lineup. Didn't the Huskies beat three teams in an 8 day span that were top 15 without either her or Morgan???? Again, no one wants to find out because she's a big plus for this team even if she's still well short of the KML of last season when she was superb. I can assure you that she knows she isn't the same player now but I'm hopeful that the next couple of weeks will shake off more of the rust and lack of game shape that is plaguing her now. She missed a couple of shots in the paint that were bricks and anything but the kind of shot you'd expect from someone of her shooting ability. That said a lot to me that she still has a way to go but I'm firmly behind her as are all of Huskie nation.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn could beat Notre Dame without Kaleena. If Brianna was playing like she was at the beginning of the year, if Saniya was playing like she was at the beginning of the year and if Kiah was consistent, then yes they could beat Notre Dame. However, the bench players are not playing well enough to beat ND. Every other team, yes.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn could beat Notre Dame without Kaleena. If Brianna was playing like she was at the beginning of the year, if Saniya was playing like she was at the beginning of the year and if Kiah was consistent, then yes they could beat Notre Dame. However, the bench players are not playing well enough to beat ND. Every other team, yes.
I gotta disagree with that one.

If course they can beat ND without KML. They beat several good teams without her. And you have no idea how the bench will perform with her out. They came through before, so why think they wouldn't do it again?

ND will be playing with 1 freshman starting at PG and another the first forward off the bench. Under the bright lights of the final four and even brighter in the championship game, I'm not sure you can count on them for much.

In the ACC title game, Allen, the freshman point didn't even take a shot.

KML will be there, so it's moot, but I would still bet on UConn without her.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So in the last two games of the AAC tournament, KML averaged 16.0 points, just a little off her 17.8 ppg last year, and the only Husky with more points was Stewie. Granted there's no way she should be letting a lanky punk sophomore put up more points than her, but KML still seems to be doing a respectable job. Maybe she does need to fine tune her VO2 Max level a little, but three games in a row do wear you down a bit. And I'm positively amazed at how she's running the floor considering what some posters were saying about her potential contributions in the tourney a month ago.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to agree with either of your remarks
So does that mean you are not going to 2nd the nomination? :rolleyes: And no, I wouldn't suggest Geno forfeit the game. Get real. I still believe we are a much better team with KML in the line up. Much better. Could we win without her? Let's not worry about that because she is ready to go.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So in the last two games of the AAC tournament, KML averaged 16.0 points, just a little off her 17.8 ppg last year, and the only Husky with more points was Stewie. Granted there's no way she should be letting a lanky punk sophomore put up more points than her, but KML still seems to be doing a respectable job. Maybe she does need to fine tune her VO2 Max level a little, but three games in a row do wear you down a bit. And I'm positively amazed at how she's running the floor considering what some posters were saying about her potential contributions in the tourney a month ago.

Sounds like she was a little mad after Shoni knocked her down (no foul called). She then drained a 3. I hope she's good and mad throughout the NCAAs.

In the second half Monday night, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis tried to post up Louisville guard Shoni Schimmel, but a forearm by Schimmel knocked the UConn junior to the floor. An unhappy Mosqueda-Lewis got up, came off a screen to take a pass from Stewart and found nothing but net from behind the arc.
Her smile running back said it all.

“I was mad,” Mosqueda-Lewis. “But when Stewie got the ball she said to dribble out I knew we were going to get a 3 because Louisville usually goes behind screens. It felt good to make that one.”

Mosqueda-Lewis, who averaged 14.7 points, was an all-tournament team pick.

“It means a lot especially coming back from everything that’s happened this season,” Mosqueda-Lewis said. “It’s nice to be recognized.”

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think it's foolish to ignore what Geno said about KML's fitness a while back. In fact, the simply fact that he's said he's "playing her in to shape" suggests that she's not in game shape. That's not a knock on KML. That's simply a by product of the irritating season she's had to endure. KML is a pretty good player in whatever shape she currently is in ... but doesn't anyone doubt that over the summer she could pull a Dolson and really knock the socks off over everyone to the nth degree?

That being said - my simplest response to this thread is, "Lordy, what might KML do when she actually DOES get in to shape!"

:)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
[

Three games in three days at the pace UConn was trying to play would induce fatigue in anyone -- even an NHL team probably couldn't play at that pace for that long. It won't be necessary in the NCAA tournament -- the games are spaced out in a more forgiving way. I would expect that in tournament games, the first-half pace of the last two nights can be sustained for at least 30 minutes, and by then the game should be in hand unless the opponent is Notre Dame.[/quote]

But Joe; what kind of shape do you think Jewell and the guys would be in after trying to run with the Huskies for 30 minutes?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
1) We will not NEED KML to get to the final four.
2) By the time we DO get to the final four, KML will not only be in much better game trim, but will also have the adrenalin factor going for her, and will respond just as Bria and Stef did last year. You can put that in the bank. The kid is a gamer.

Reaction Score
Actually, sorry, I don't believe you.

No sorry necessary. Without KLM in the NC game against ND this is going to happen.
Stewie double team by ND the effect will cause a 5/30 shooting from Stewie and a long night for all Uconn fans including me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No sorry necessary. Without KLM in the NC game against ND this is going to happen.
Stewie double team by ND the effect will cause a 5/30 shooting from Stewie and a long night for all Uconn fans including me.
Well, if she has 15 rebounds, 7 assist and 5 blocks, Uconn will still win.

And she won't be taking 30 shots.

ND typically doesn't double team anyone. They might flash a defender to disrupt her.

It would be closer, but Uconn could beat ND without KML.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sometimes it just seems that in a state of high anxiety nervousness, Husky fans are looking for Reasons to be Fretful, Part 3.

We do have KML going nicely, a match-up with ND down the road is as assured as last year's NC meeting with Baylor, and UConn is still the least penalized team in the US. The road to perfection is paved with a lot of imprefections, but the pictures of trophy-raising Huskies have not a single blemish.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame double teams Stewie she will get a triple double, 10 points, 15 rebounds, 15 assists, 5 blocks, 3 steals, and make life miserable on the defensive end all night for Notre Dame. If they double Stewie someone is open , and Stewie will find them, UConn would shoot layups all night long.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course KML is going to be in better game shape next week and even better game shape in 3 weeks. I'd be a lot more worried if her shot had disappeared, which it clearly has not.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
This thread is beyond the dead horse stage. We are discussing whether a player, who is playing and recently played 34 minutes in a game, is required to beat an unscheduled opponent. Shall we discuss whether CD is required to beat ND?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sometimes it just seems that in a state of high anxiety nervousness, Husky fans are looking for Reasons to be Fretful, Part 3.

That's suppose to be my assignment
but I have nothing to add to the illuminating commentary
with regard this topic.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Many Boneyarders constantly look for reasons to be scared/afraid of opponents? It is clear that UCONN WBB players do not share this timid/fearful thinking.

It is called the "UConnBart Syndrome", isn't it?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Right on Hongster- if KML can give us what she gave us in the AAC Tmt in F F- we are 100 times better. Without Tuck- when one of those starting 5 aren't playing, we are much much more vulnerable to a defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom