UConn - Maryland Preview | The Boneyard

UConn - Maryland Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great post Doggy. The major difference between the 2 offenses is UConn plays team ball so anybody can score through the flow of the offense and MD doesn't. If UConn can stay out of foul trouble and they are a smart team and well disciplined they could win this by 18+. I like UConn by double digets too. Our defense will win out.

Reaction Score
DD: Just back from yet another 80th bday dinner plus a HUGE apple pie waiting inside the storm door upon our return. (Not getting on the scale as it is only designed for humans-)
Your post leaves me feeling like a supplicant, though I'm not precisely certain what is implied by that statemetnt Once again a thoughtful and provocative analysis. Thanks frm this corner.

Reaction Score
Should be interesting how Geno approaches the matchups as the two players best suited to guarding Thomas are both out. Maryland's big lineup makes starting Kiah possible, but not sure Geno believes Breanna is ready for that kind of defensive assignment. Chong is probably the best fit to move into the starting lineup over the next few weeks, but that would mean Bria Hartley has to guard Thomas which would expose the only truly experienced guard to foul trouble. So maybe Banks gets the start with the sole assignment of focusing on defending Thomas.

Reaction Score
I really hate this new foul rule which may hurt UCONN in this game with both KML and Morgan not playing. Win or lose doesn't matter at this time of the year. Teams better get UCONN now because come March if healthy no one is beating UCONN in the tournament.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maryland does not shoot the trey well. Keep them on the perimeter and we will be fine. We beat MD by 16 with KML playing only 7 minutes and we beat them by 26 in the Regionals with everybody playing. Without KML and Morgan I like us by double digits.

Reaction Score
Thanks for that, DD! I'm with you and TonyC, the win will 10+.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fouls are the big concern with the refs being the major problem as i see it - I have been checking box scores and most of the games so far have very balanced numbers of fouls being called - so you get a foul fest like that first TN game and both teams end up with 30, or the Stanford game and they end up at 20 each, or the Hartford game and they end up at 12 each - the nasty habit of 'balancing' the foul calls. So if Stanford plays a physical game and starts getting called on lots of fouls, the refs will probably start balancing with calls on Uconn at which point we are in big trouble. We need Bria, Stef, and Stewart on the floor not on the bench.
Really nice write-up by the way DD - as usual.

Reaction Score
Great job doggydaddy ! My one question right now is why was Morgan playing all summer, when her knee was sore since last season's end ? At least that was reported this morning. Now, this is how I think things might shake out.
Starting lineup :
Stewart, Dolson, Hartley, MoJeff, and Chong.
I know the concensus is for Kiah to step in for KML , but I see Geno going to three guard lineup , with Kiah rotating in for both Stewie and Stef. The question is will the still recovering Brianna step into the starting lineup, or will coaching staff decide to go with the offensively gifted Saniya, and have Brianna rotate in for the guards off the bench. Either way, as we know this is probably going to be an ever changing situation based on game situation. This will be an excitin and quick lineup , with Kiah and Brianna getting tons of minutes, w/ new stars emerging. LET'S GO DOGS !!!

HGN

Reaction Score
Doggy , that was a good analysis and post....This should be a good game. Maryland is playing at home and looking for status and revenge. KML and Tuck will be missed offensively and defensively. UConn can win if its stays out of foul trouble and Stokes have the kind of game she had against Stanford.

Reaction Score
There won't be just one player defending Thomas, just like last season. She will be doubled all over the place. Stewart, Stokes and Dolson offer very imposing doubles when they close down on a player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great job doggydaddy ! My one question right now is why was Morgan playing all summer, when her knee was sore since last season's end ? At least that was reported this morning. Now, this is how I think things might shake out.
Starting lineup :
Stewart, Dolson, Hartley, MoJeff, and Chong.
I know the concensus is for Kiah to step in for KML , but I see Geno going to three guard lineup , with Kiah rotating in for both Stewie and Stef. The question is will the still recovering Brianna step into the starting lineup, or will coaching staff decide to go with the offensively gifted Saniya, and have Brianna rotate in for the guards off the bench. Either way, as we know this is probably going to be an ever changing situation based on game situation. This will be an excitin and quick lineup , with Kiah and Brianna getting tons of minutes, w/ new stars emerging. LET'S GO DOGS !!!
The reports I have seen suggest the knee was fine and Morgan was feeling great until around the second week of fall practice when it started to swell up after practices. You don't do surgery unless there is pain/swelling/weakness and none of that existed until this fall.

Reaction Score
There won't be just one player defending Thomas, just like last season. She will be doubled all over the place. Stewart, Stokes and Dolson offer very imposing doubles when they close down on a player.

I get the point, but last year there was just one player actually matched up with Thomas both times they played. It would be disrespectful to Kelly Faris to not acknowledge that she made an impact individually.

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended, but defense is a team concept and UConn has always played tremendous team defense.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Given the sudden lack of depth we may see a lot of zone defense this weekend.

Reaction Score
The reports I have seen suggest the knee was fine and Morgan was feeling great until around the second week of fall practice when it started to swell up after practices. You don't do surgery unless there is pain/swelling/weakness and none of that existed until this fall.
The first article I read this morning in the Hartford Courant by John Altivilla stated " Tuck had been experiencing swelling in her knee, which had been bothering her since last season". In Rich Elliot's article it is worded a little differently. I hadn't seen Rich's article until later in the morning.

Reaction Score
Thanks for that, DD! I'm with you and TonyC, the win will 10+.
I've said right along for months now that MD is the only team that has a chance against us this year. Now they really have a chance. But. I agree we will win this one. I don't care if it's by 1 point.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I get the point, but last year there was just one player actually matched up with Thomas both times they played. It would be disrespectful to Kelly Faris to not acknowledge that she made an impact individually.

It's true that Kelly had principal responsibility for Alyssa during last year's meetings.
Her success is even more impressive considering the size differential
But some of the success was the result of the defensive philosophy that Geno taught.
I rather thought that Morgan might draw the assignment.
Now, it is not clear which player or combination will draw the assignment.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see her stymied again.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

+1

Reaction Score
I've said right along for months now that MD is the only team that has a chance against us this year. Now they really have a chance. But. I agree we will win this one. I don't care if it's by 1 point.
It's not just Maryland. Let's just assume for a minute both Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis are out until January, which is a very real possibility. Most of the season's tough games are between now and then, many of them on the road. There's the Maryland and Penn State games this weekend. There's Ohio State. Then Duke - on the road without Mosqueda-Lewis or Tuck or Kelly Faris to bail them out like last year. A few days after Duke comes Cal. You'd like to think both players are back to at least practicing by the time conference play or the Baylor game rolls around, but with injuries you never really know. It's true Coach Auriemma has dealt with a short bench before, but right now you can only really count on Dolson and Hartley. You never know what you're going to get from Stewart. Jefferson still frequently plays like an out of control freshman, and the fifth spot goes to a still mentally hesitant Banks or Chong who has exactly two games of collegiate experience. It's definitely going to be a challenge. I disagree with the notion that the team will be better off playing through the adversity the injuries have brought upon the team. That's just silly coach-speak. No team gets better by having the best player in the country sitting idle. That's like saying the Detroit Tigers would have been better off playing through the adversity of not having Miguel Cabrera. Or the Red Sox without David Ortiz. Or Baylor last year without Griner.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Right on.
S.S.O.F.
A win by any amount and no more injuries would be an outstanding outcome!
We are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

Reaction Score
I think they mean better in the long term, not the short term. They'll obviously be hurt while KML and Tuck are out. But the experience gained by the replacements (Chong, Banks, Stokes) could be big if they take advantage of it in the long run.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
MD beat Loyola 89-53. Last night Hartford beat Loyola 59-53, so by the principle of transitivity, MD is 30 points better than Hartford :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"You never know what you're going to get from Stewart"

ONE game and that is what you get? She did get 8 points and 4 rebounds in half of her usual time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom