UConn is the Favorite | The Boneyard

UConn is the Favorite

Reaction Score
Win or lose tonight, this has been the most amazing year for UConn's women's basketball.
Yes, National Championships are how we usually measure our success, but the heart and effort this team has shown in the face of unfathomable hardships is truly inspiring.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Defense will prevail. I am really excited about tonite. Paige and UConn on display. UConns suffocating defense will be a monster, because its in their blood. The focus and energy will be at an all time high. Fans will realize tonite UConn with 5 injuries on the bench is still really good because Geno is really good.

Reaction Score
Defense will prevail. I am really excited about tonite. Paige and UConn on display. UConns suffocating defense will be a monster, because it’s in their blood. The focus and energy will be at an all time high. Fans will realize tonite UConn with 5 injuries on the bench is still really good because Geno is really good.
Love the optimism as usual! Hope you’re right!

Reaction Score
Win or lose tonight, this team has drascially overachieved given the injuries and has given the fans much to be proud of and cheer about.

I think the Huskies could easily win. They are experienced in big games and USC is back on the big stage since well before these ladies were born. Watkins is a force but the experience of PB, AE, and Nika is tough to match up with.

Reaction Score
I saw a graphic online about winning/ getting to the final four for today's game that showed LSU/Iowa/UCONN/USC at 50%/50%/75%/25%. Of course it may be exaggerated to make it nice round numbers... but still!

Reaction Score
Win or lose tonight, this has been the most amazing year for UConn's women's basketball.
Yes, National Championships are how we usually measure our success, but the heart and effort this team has shown in the face of unfathomable hardships is truly inspiring.

You are so right, This short handed team has shown a tremendous amount of fight and determination !! Everyone is so proud of you girls. Even dough we are critical of you. There isn't a team in the country that could do what this team is doing, missing so many great players and still winning these games !!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Win or lose tonight, this team has drascially overachieved given the injuries and has given the fans much to be proud of and cheer about.

I think the Huskies could easily win. They are experienced in big games and USC is back on the big stage since well before these ladies were born. Watkins is a force but the experience of PB, AE, and Nika is tough to match up with.
One of my favorite teams. Getting this far is something else. Most other programs would probably be in tatters. Having Bueckers doesn’t hurt.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
We have one player to contain and limit (not stop, unrealsitic and will lead to fouls). That will depend to a great extent upon how the referees call the game.

It will also depend upon the attitude that Nika comes in with. She was very measured against Syracuse until she lost her composure for about thirty seconds. She was fabulous against Duke, no fouls, thought she played a very solid and underrated game.

There was one play in the first half of the Duke game where a ball was up for grabs and it looked like she purposely avoided risking a foul by not jumping into the fray after it. Need to have that risk/reward focus tonight.

She has to be willing to lose a few battles if we are going to win the war. She needs to be out there for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
I'd let JuJu get her 30 or 40, but lock down the others. JuJu like Clark gets a bit of the star treatment when it comes to officiating, so there might not be an effective defense that can be played on her. If Nika is on JuJu, Nika might foul out by half time.

Reaction Score
It is bad karma to start talking about UConn being a favorite. The team is understaffed and against Duke, ran out of steam and almost lost the game. If Nika picks up another three fouls in 8.7 seconds or whatever it was, it will be a very tough night.

Having said that, several previous posters are right. Given the many obstacles this team has faced this year, they've done very well. I think it was reasonable to think they might overachieve and get this far. Anything more would be wonderful but, let's face it, will be gravy.

Reaction Score
I would be glad to play any basketball game, with 'hungry Paige' on our side. Is that enough ? We shall soon find out? Her Actions speak louder than any Words!

Reaction Score
We have one player to contain and limit (not stop, unrealsitic and will lead to fouls). That will depend to a great extent upon how the referees call the game.

It will also depend upon the attitude that Nika comes in with. She was very measured against Syracuse until she lost her composure for about thirty seconds. She was fabulous against Duke, no fouls, thought she played a very solid and underrated game.

There was one play in the first half of the Duke game where a ball was up for grabs and it looked like she purposely avoided risking a foul by not jumping into the fray after it. Need to have that risk/reward focus tonight.

She has to be willing to lose a few battles if we are going to win the war. She needs to be out there for 40 minutes.
Well said - Nikka needs to be smart and win the war!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't know. They have had all season to learn to play without them and the people left are all very high prospects including a number 1 that was the player of the year her only healthy season. They have the players to win it all but I don't think Geno really coached to win it all, I think he coached to win as many games during the season as possible. In the Big East they could have beaten any team starting Paige, Nika and AE with any other two on the roster.

I think his plan worked and they really got a good draw in the tournament and should make it to the final game. Beating South Carolina will not be possible without a bunch of help from them but all other teams are below UConn in talent.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Interesting that a banged up 3 seed is a betting favorite over a generally more veteran 1 seed with the non vet being the best freshman in the country. .

Reaction Score
Sports books try to keep the betting as close to 50/50 as they can. The line favoring UConn doesn’t really mean that much.

Reaction Score
Defense will prevail. I am really excited about tonite. Paige and UConn on display. UConns suffocating defense will be a monster, because its in their blood. The focus and energy will be at an all time high. Fans will realize tonite UConn with 5 injuries on the bench is still really good because Geno is really good.
6 injured on the bench…

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe it when I saw that UConn was the favorite. I already resigned to the fact that I would not get overly upset if we did lose. They are the #1 seeded team, and we are #3, and with our short bench and some players that foul at the worst time it can be very scary. Aaliyah and Nika have to remain on the floor and be able to play tough defense. The game will be on the officials and how they call it. If its tight then we are in trouble.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sports books try to keep the betting as close to 50/50 as they can. The line favoring UConn doesn’t really mean that much.
Right. Jut that UConn having even a slught edge is interesting

Reaction Score
They have to get back to sharing the basketball, and get away from watching and waiting for Paige to do something great (which she usually does!) When they are open: shoot! Having been there before is what gives us the edge.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe it when I saw that UConn was the favorite. I already resigned to the fact that I would not get overly upset if we did lose. They are the #1 seeded team, and we are #3, and with our short bench and some players that foul at the worst time it can be very scary. Aaliyah and Nika have to remain on the floor and be able to play tough defense. The game will be on the officials and how they call it. If it’s tight then we are in trouble.
Tight officiating is a double sided coin.
Yeah, we’ll have to mind our manners, but the mugging, mauling and molesting of Aaliyah which seems to be in style these days will have consequences.
Hopefully

Reaction Score
I find the fact that we are favorites to be quite amusing. There’s no way we should be favored over the #1 seed! However, the bookmakers/oddsmakers have a seriously healthy respect for Geno and his teams :p and do not want to get burned! Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom