UConn in the WNBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn in the WNBA

Reaction Score
We, as fans , should say NO to prioritizing rule. It's a shame. Or make the WNBA an all american citizens championship. For me this rule goes the league go down

Reaction Score
I feel awful for Christyn. She worked so hard after her injury and excitedly posted an “I’m back!” On social media. I hope she comes back strong for next season. Maybe an overseas team will pick her up? Or the expansion of two WNBA teams over next two years.

Reaction Score
For the latest on WNBA roster make-up, there's an excellent write-up in HerHoopsStats Newsletter of 5/14 by Richard Cohen that gets into the specifics of caps, waivers, minimums and more for every team. Lot of juggling for sure to get within the cap. Think managing an WNBA team is a slam dunk? Think again.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance that the new GS Valkyries team can draft PB or Aubrey next year? Do they even have a shot of first pick?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good for the Big East but, lol, most of them are Huskies.

AC0D597D-3A2D-4CA3-AE1E-3EFD1F6396BB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Thanks! Gabby is playing very well and is clearly one of the best players in France. She apparently has a stronger allegiance to her mother’s home country than she does to the W. I expect to see her back in 2025.

Regarding Christyn, it’s hard to say. If she’s back to 100%, I think she is good enough to make a roster. We’ll see.
I agree that Gabby’s playing very well in France, but maybe the “stronger allegiance to her mother’s home country” stems from the desire to participate in the Olympics. I realize that like Gabby, many athletes gain citizenship in other countries because they may be, or have been overlooked by the Olympic Selection Committee. In any event, I commend these athletes‘ dedication to their craft, and wish them success in their careers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that Gabby’s playing very well in France, but maybe the “stronger allegiance to her mother’s home country” stems from the desire to participate in the Olympics. I realize that like Gabby, many athletes gain citizenship in other countries because they may be, or have been overlooked by the Olympic Selection Committee. In any event, I commend these athletes‘ dedication to their craft, and wish them success in their careers.

Gabby wasn’t likely to make the U.S. Olympic team, but she’s a key player for France. Unlike some others, her ties to France are very close and real, as her mother was born there. I think she doesn’t care for the W’s Prioritization rule, so she chose France as her priority. I don’t get to see her in the W as much, but I understand her decision. She wanted to be an Olympian in the high jump; instead she is a silver medalist in basketball. I can see Gabby earning a couple more medals. In the videos I see from Europe, she is nearly unstoppable.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure what Gabby's status will be in the WNBA and/or overseas.
I dont recall if I posted this elsewhere. This is from a press release last week from Gabby's French League team LDLC ASVEL Feminim
I translated it, from French and added the link below. Must be some upheavel as 6 players wont be back, along with the coach. The other players not back are in the article.

As for the players, Gabby Williams , Marine Johannès and Endy Miyem are at the end of their contract and will no longer wear the Lyon jersey next season

Reaction Score
Good for the Big East but, lol, most of them are Huskies.

View attachment 100730
Trivia: Four of those Huskies never played in the Big East. UConn was in the AAC for 7 seasons from 2013-14 to 2019-20, during those seasons these 4 current WNBA players completed their entire collegiate career:
  • Kia Nurse (2014-2018)
  • Naphessa Collier (2015-2019)
  • Katie Lou Samuelson (2015-2019)
  • Crystal Dangerfield (2016-2020)

Reaction Score
Trivia: Four of those Huskies never played in the Big East. UConn was in the AAC for 7 seasons from 2013-14 to 2019-20, during those seasons these 4 current WNBA players completed their entire collegiate career:
  • Kia Nurse (2014-2018)
  • Naphessa Collier (2015-2019)
  • Katie Lou Samuelson (2015-2019)
  • Crystal Dangerfield (2016-2020)
Yeah that's like trying to claim the 2014-16 titles as Big East titles.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Gabby's status will be in the WNBA and/or overseas.
I dont recall if I posted this elsewhere. This is from a press release last week from Gabby's French League team LDLC ASVEL Feminim
I translated it, from French and added the link below. Must be some upheavel as 6 players wont be back, along with the coach. The other players not back are in the article.

As for the players, Gabby Williams, Marine Johannès and Endy Miyem are at the end of their contract and will no longer wear the Lyon jersey next season

Wow, Tony Parker (Ex San Antonio Spurs point guard) is the owner of the franchise. I was under the impression that the players really liked him, and vice versa. Stephanie Dolson went over there and played for that franchise this past winter and indicated how much she thought of him.

It might be a situation that Gabby, Marine, and Endy are planning to come back to the WNBA next season and due to the prioritizing rule, they have to make a choice. I saw a video interview with Marine Johannes, where she explained that the reason she would not be playing with the N.Y. Liberty this season is due to her commitment to the French Team, and the Paris Olympics. That said, it was a commitment to France, not necessarily a commitment to EuroLeague or LDLC ASVEL.

Reaction Score
I know I’m getting hammered for this but, Stewie is not exactly lighting it up. I realize this is only her first reg season game but she didn’t look good in preseason either. Can she still be the dominant player we’ve come to expect? Another thing I don’t get is KLS only getting two shots in the Fever’s opener. Surely she’s one of their better shooters on that team? I realize they were playing a top three team but Indiana did not look good today. Boston scored 6 points and only took six shots while, not surprisingly, Clark had ten turnovers. Aaliyah actually looked pretty good in her game. I think she's going to do well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom