UConn in Great Position | The Boneyard

UConn in Great Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The past few weeks were scary. KML and then a surprise MTuck both out with 3 big games looming. UConn took care of business. The best thing to come out of this was confidence. The team as a whole and individually gained confidence. Leaders stood up and took charge of their team. We beat 3 very good ranked teams. For fans it took the skepticism out of our minds until we face Duke. The questions are looming again. Can we beat Duke at Duke without KML and MTuck? Will it be difficult? In the past it wasn't but Duke is number 2 this season and the matchup is portrayed at big. Still UConn has their towers of power underneath. Will that put Duke AA center Williams in foul trouble and if it does what happens to Duke? The UConn guards are penetrating guards will Duke pack it in? Duke is a pretty good outside shooting team and will Haley Peters be back and will she be healthy? A lot of unanswered questions.

Understand. UConn is a machine. Unlike many other teams UConn executes plays on both sides of the ball. They are very disciplined and in terrific physical shape. I expect Haley Peters back and not to be 100%. As far as KML I expect her back and not 100%. MTuck imo without any knowledge I think will take some time. She has been injury ridden since high school. With that said I hope she is back inspite of what Im thinking. Shes a leader and trooper.

I believe we will beat Duke either way. We are to strong defensively. Ballhandleing for Duke could be a problem when their guards have to give up the ball. UConn has good ballhandlers at ever position. UConn has a lot of athletic height. The ole saying when the goin gets tuff the tuff get goin. Well that's what discipline and hard work bring out under pressure situations, evidenced by our 3 wins in a row against top teams. Im not worried about the game. It will be a battle until UConn goes on its run starting with its defense, then the offense will kick in.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice Tony. The big issue for Uconn has been the fouls and whether they can stay out of trouble especially with the bigs. The answer so far with a few hiccups has been YES. But anytime the team as now constituted with the two sidelined players plays a good team, they have to stay out of foul trouble because they just don't have a bench. I fear the 40 whistle game more than any particular team.

Reaction Score
I think the question marks came when we assumed the team was status quo from last season. Fair enough as it was just the second game of the season when the injuries occurred. However, it's obvious this team is much improved over the one that won the National Championship in April even with three departing seniors. First, and foremost, Moriah Jefferson looks like a completely different player having made the freshman to sophomore jump. Can't think of a better player to step up and replace Kelly Faris's defensive intensity. Second, Banks is back and has proven she is durable and a contributor on both ends. We saw some of the mental aspect of her injury early on when she appeared to hesitate, but she is playing fearlessly right now as best I can tell, and it's great to see her confidence grow game by game. The emergence of Kiah Stokes is a welcome sight. She's a shot blocking machine and it's fun to watch opponents travel into a wall of Stokes and Dolson. We haven't seen much offense away from the basket, but she is definitely more aggressive this season. I like her staying down low as it has resulted in a number of easy three point plays. Chong has made some solid contributions early on while having to learn on the job thanks to an unexpected increase in playing time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The 3 point shooting of Banks has been a welcome surprise. Maybe I should have known it, but I didn't recall it being so potent a weapon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 3 point shooting of Banks has been a welcome surprise. Maybe I should have know it, but I didn't recall it being so potent a weapon.
Actually that was last year's surprise. Remember how hot she started last year from 3-point range? She did cool off and then she got hurt, but she definitely was a 3-pt threat last year. I think that was part of her freshman to sophomore jump.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually that was last year's surprise. Remember how hot she started last year from 3-point range? She did cool off and then she got hurt, but she definitely was a 3-pt threat last year. I think that was part of her freshman to sophomore jump.
She was shooting 35% last year (3pt) from 13% as a Frosh. And jumped from 3.6 to 7.3 ppg.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For me the big thing is that we've handles Elizabeth for a couple of seasons and more than likely will do so again.
If she is ineffective and neutralized again, that removes a substantial percentage of their offense.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
For me the big thing is that we've handles Elizabeth for a couple of seasons and more than likely will do so again.
If she is ineffective and neutralized again, that removes a substantial percentage of their offense.
Elizabeth Williams played hurt much of last season, whereas she is reportedly healthy this season. That could make a big difference. It seems the Duke game is UConn's best chance to trip up before the NCAA's. If Tuck and KML cannot play, then I predict that Coach P. may have to get pretty creative to blow this game and lose by her traditional amount. The talent and depth of Duke is a great combination against an injury-depleted UConn team. Duke should force UConn to play tough defense and commit fouls. Of course that should have been the strategy of every opponent after the Stanford game, yet the Huskies lead the NCAA in fewest fouls per game (LINK), so I imagine it's easier said than done.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
IMO, I believe that our biggest problems against Duke are (in no particular order)
Rust (12 days off from previous game)
Fatigue
Fouls
Cameron (their house)

Many will negate some if not all of these with reasonable data (and some hubris), however I believe that all are worth a mention or two. Duke has not held up well against UConn's press, but this is another year and another game. Just sayin....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The key to beating Duke is the play of Stewie. She can't play like she did against OSU. If KML is able to play, then the team is less reliant on Stewie having a great game.

Reaction Score
UCONN will shut done 2 players, Williams and Liston.....The team feeds off them....Gray is 70% at best..........Lets see how Duke does on Thursday against Purdue and Sunday against OK in OK........Then, they are off for exams and 8 days until UCONN comes to town.......UCONN loves to play at CIS and it feeds of the DUKE crowd.......Duke players are talking about how UCONN is their biggest game.....Wait until ND shows up and crushes them at CIS.........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN will shut done 2 players, Williams and Liston.....The team feeds off them....Gray is 70% at best..........Lets see how Duke does on Thursday against Purdue and Sunday against OK in OK........Then, they are off for exams and 8 days until UCONN comes to town.......UCONN loves to play at CIS and it feeds of the DUKE crowd.......Duke players are talking about how UCONN is their biggest game.....Wait until ND shows up and crushes them at CIS.........

How many games have you watched Gray play this season ??? I've seen her play 8 times.... including the Blue/White scrimmage, and an exhibition game in person.. as well as 6 regular season games online/tv. Gray is averaging 12 pts, 9 assists, over 5 rebounds, and 3 steals a game, while also shooting 48% from the floor. (not bad for a guard). If she is at 70%..... then she is a sure-fire, no doubt, first team all american if she ever gets to 100% this season. Again.... how many games have you seen Gray play this year for you to assess her to be at best 70% ? I'll wait for your response.

As far as ND crushing Duke in Durham........ if that happens..... I'll convert to Catholicism the next day :rolleyes: Lets just say, Im assuring you that's not gonna happen... barring major injury issues.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alright Triad - the serious smack down!:D
I think the two Duke/ND games should be very interesting as will the Uconn game. Always hard to really tell about teams until they face really tough competition.

Reaction Score
While Uconn will be coming off a 12 day layoff when they play Duke, the Dukies will be
coming off a 9 day layoff, so perhaps both teams will be rusty.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alright Triad - the serious smack down!:D
I think the two Duke/ND games should be very interesting as will the Uconn game. Always hard to really tell about teams until they face really tough competition.

While I love all of the Duke players... I'll especially defend Gray and Jones... my two favorite Blue Devils :cool:

Seems like only UCONN and Duke scheduled challenging non conference slates this season. Next 5 games for Duke. Home vs Purdue... at Oklahoma.... Home vs UCONN, Home vs an undefeated Albany team... and at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Williams is not playing anywhere near the her anticipated preseason AA best post player in America. It is Ms. Williams who must concern herself with Ms. Dolson not the other way around.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that Stewart is a Clark Kent, and when the chips are down, she steps into that phone booth and emerges to save the day. Remembering back to her USA days when she just took over the game, and who expected her tournament performance last year. Those were not accidental folks - Big Game Breanna!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UCONN by 20 no matter the situation with KML and Morgan. Williams suppressed again by our front wall.

Reaction Score
UCONN by 20 no matter the situation with KML and Morgan. Williams suppressed again by our front wall.
Seems like a fair prediction. Both teams have improved from last year. As far as this game being played at Duke, I don't think it really matters if the game was played on Mars. UConn seems to be immune from melting down on the road or in so-called hostile environments. Maybe Duke gets lucky this time, but I'm skeptical of it being a close game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom