UConn gets APR score of 947 - 2-year score surpasses NCAA benchmark | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn gets APR score of 947 - 2-year score surpasses NCAA benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Caw: don't you also need to have a certain grade point average to get a full retention point? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Wolf hurt us in the past bc he got *ty grades. That might be the real reason his scholarship got pulled.

Reaction Score
The irritating part about that score is Oriakhi, Smith, and Bradley all transferred in part because of the NCAA's APR penalties. You have to love the NCAA inadvertantly (or maybe not so inadverantly?) lowering our scores because of the mass exodus they caused with their retroactive APR publicity stint/pitiful revenge ploy. So even if we were to assume the APR is a credible assessment of academic progress, the NCAA's disciplinary actions for low scores inherently hamstring schools looking to improve upon their scores for future years. Seems sensible, huh?​

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Do you think they would have pulled Wolf's scholly if it could have made us ineligible for the NCAA tourney down the road? I don't think so. Everyone else is playing the game and so are we.

Reaction Score
Caw: don't you also need to have a certain grade point average to get a full retention point? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Wolf hurt us in the past bc he got *ty grades. That might be the real reason his scholarship got pulled.

No, you don't. Any player who returns is returning in good standing even if they have a 1.0. You go on academic probation with a very low GPA, but you're still a student. And in the eyes of the NCAA's APR, you count as 2 points each semester, 1 point for coming back, 1 point for completing a semester.

Reaction Score
Do you think they would have pulled Wolf's scholly if it could have made us ineligible for the NCAA tourney down the road? I don't think so. Everyone else is playing the game and so are we.

Wasn't he honored for academic achievement or something of that nature recently?

Reaction Score
947 is definitely a disappointment, and we can't afford a repeat of it going forward.

Was it tied to the APR hit and kids leaving because of the sanctions? We'll never know. Nothing you can do about it. Was it Roscoe Smith, Michael Bradley? We'll never know. Did Jeremy Lamb finish up his classes? Who knows. The whole thing is ludicrous.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Here we have on this board a group of people with as vested an interest as you can possibly have in the APR, and mostly what we see is confusion on what counts, what matters and what the scores mean.

Try to imagine a dumber system. You can't.

Reaction Score
Was it tied to the APR hit and kids leaving because of the sanctions? We'll never know. Nothing you can do about it. Was it Roscoe Smith, Michael Bradley? We'll never know. Did Jeremy Lamb finish up his classes? Who knows. The whole thing is ludicrous.

Given his end-of-clock performances, Roscoe doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the box. It wouldn't surprise me if his GPA were below the threshold to keep his point after transferring.

At the time, I was worried about Bradley transferring to a juco (despite the fact that he's a smart kid). I thought it might hurt out APR, though nobody else around here said much of anything about it.

I'm not sure if guys like Lamb leaving early for the NBA has a possibility of hurting us. It's never hurt Kentucky, obviously, though it's also the case that they're much better at staying on top of those things than JC ever was.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
We play next year!

WE WIN NEXT YEAR!

Simple As That!

Reaction Score
Given his end-of-clock performances, Roscoe doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the box. It wouldn't surprise me if his GPA were below the threshold to keep his point after transferring.

At the time, I was worried about Bradley transferring to a juco (despite the fact that he's a smart kid). I thought it might hurt out APR, though nobody else around here said much of anything about it.

I'm not sure if guys like Lamb leaving early for the NBA has a possibility of hurting us. It's never hurt Kentucky, obviously, though it's also the case that they're much better at staying on top of those things than JC ever was.

JC did not have the power to offer bogus courses to his players.

Reaction Score
Here we have on this board a group of people with as vested an interest as you can possibly have in the APR, and mostly what we see is confusion on what counts, what matters and what the scores mean.

Try to imagine a dumber system. You can't.

The criteria are there and they're plain for everyone to see, but because of privacy laws, we can't know how the system is scored. However, the AD certainly does know. That's the concern. Bilas said this 2 years ago. The schools would take the NCAA criteria and game them to the detriment of education. Any assessment that doesn't include graduation or even advancing in your major is anti-academic.

Reaction Score
Best I can figure UConn lost two points, 36/38 = .9473.

Had a scholarship roster of 10:

1. [ ]Alex Oriakhi (transfer*)
    [ ]Roscoe Smith (transfer)
    [ ]Michael Bradley (transfer)
    [ ]Jeremy Lamb (NBA)
    [ ]Shabazz Napier (retained)
    [ ]Niels Giffey (retained)
    [ ]Enosch Wolf (retained)
    [ ]Tyler Olander (retained)
    [ ]Ryan Boatright (retained)
    [ ]DeAndre Daniels (retained)
Based on that the total would be 40 points. Three transfers, two with the required GPA score to remove a point from the base. One didn't and is responsible for at least one of the two points. It's also possible Oriakhi's retention point was calculated differently than normal and all three transfers were OK. If that is the case than the lost points would come from the non-transfers.

This past year UConn had 11 scholarship players:

1. [ ]RJ Evans (graduated)
    [ ]Shabazz Napier (retained)
    [ ]Niels Giffey (retained)
    [ ]Enosch Wolf (???)
    [ ]Tyler Olander (retained)
    [ ]Ryan Boatright (retained)
    [ ]DeAndre Daniels (retained)
    [ ]Omar Calhoun (retained)
    [ ]Philip Nolan (retained)
    [ ]Leon Tolksdorf (retained)
    [ ]Brendan Allen (one year scholarship)
So the base looks to be 44 points. Considering Evans graduated and the rest came back aside from Wolf. The two year base will be somewhere between 82 (38+44), or 81 (38+43) depending on Wolf. To reach a two year score of 940, UConn can only lose four total points (78/82 = 951) or (77/81 = 951).

If my calculations are correct UConn has already lost two points from 2011-2012. So UConn can only afford to lose 2 points from 2012-2013. If Wolf isn't retained and UConn loses the retention point for it, than UConn only has one point leeway. If Wolf is either retained or there is an exception for his situation than UConn has two points leeway.
missed Andre Drummond in first list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer