UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions!

Reaction Score
One big change I noticed on offense is they were getting into their sets really fast allowing them a couple extra seconds to get off one more pass resulting in a better shot. The defense also played really fast in this tournament and they were tough tough tough. The play in this tournament showed they can play with a different lineup and still be very effective on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
It hardly seems possible that the regular season and BE play are behind us and only the Big Dance remains. Yet another season of relentless injuries, one after another, leaving us down to seven healthy bodies by the end of the BE tournament. With makeshift lineups, freshmen starters, and lots of on-the-job training we produced a very respectable season. Against the best we won some and lost some. Everyone else we beat. I don't know how far we'll get in the NCAAs but we are s tough out.

As far as last night's game, I expected we'd win the BE championship, although not against Georgetown. Even dealing with virtually no bench the healthy few played some of the best basketball of the whole season. Just amazing really.

My biggest takeaway from the game is the phenomenal and surprising progress Ice has made. Sure, circumstances put her into the starting role for the last two games, playing 40 minutes im each and forbidden to foul out. I just don't believe the Ice we saw in December, January and even February could have pulled it off. Somehow she progressed from a tentative player with fumble fingers to a poised, aggressive, steady force on the court in the blink of the eye. To me at least her development spurt was unexpected but so welcome. Our chances for a deep NCAA run are higher and more importantly our prospects for next year get s big boost. Happy for Ice, happy for the team and us fans too

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night. It was such a pleasure to watch these girls play with such passion and joy! There were really having fun out there.

And who had Ice on the all tournament team on their bingo card?!

Reaction Score
  • Another “routinely spectacular” game by THE HUMAN ERASER :rolleyes: with 27 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals & 5 BLOCKS!!! :eek:
Excellent reference to the great Marvin Webster. Who had more post-season blocks, Paige or Brink?

• The Georgetown coach is a class act. In fact most of the Big East WCB head coaches are outstanding individuals. You like to see good people get the rewards they deserve.
  • If you haven't seen the post game presser, it's a must see. Bring tissues.
  • Nika Muhl = all time favorite Huskie for all the intangibles that do not always show up on a scoresheet and for being an example of how great you can be if you set your mind to it. Two time BE DPOY, and UConn's all-time assist leader. Led the team in 3 point FG%. But she still shouldn't be starting. ;):D
  • Finally. The Ice Brady that UConn thought it had recruited. Took a while to see it, but lets hope this version sticks around.
  • Paige doing Paige things. It's not bragging if you can back it up. Reminded me of the year Magic Johnson was forced into playing center for the Lakers.
  • With Nika gone, next year Paige is going to be a single parent to the 5 Super Sophs and 3 new freshmen. Having a big graduate transfer would be a great calming influence.
  • Not sure this team has the depth or the size to get past the Elite Eight unless karma finally kicks in to even things out. But if any team deserves things to break their way, it's this one.

Reaction Score
As I'm in the middle of my 76 year and dealing with major health issues the last 11 years I have found I'm more an emotional person than years ago! I spent a lot of the last 2 games in tears, so proud of being a UConn WBB fan in awe of our players!
As I've mentioned previously, I coached HS Wrestling for 32 years, and had much success (inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame for CT in 2005) and big disappointments (runner up many times in State Tournaments) but I can realize what emotions go into being a successful Coach!
I can imagine the pride the UConn WBB coaching staff, from Geno & CD right on down are feeling today!
Any Coach, in any sport, would sell their soul for a team that win or lose gives everything they have in the pursuit of victory, individually or for the team! I've been blessed with 32 years of coaching some great Wrestlers who were even better human beings, from wonderful families, who would rise to the occasion time after time!
In those 32 years My staff and I had 367 young men and only 5 of that number I could honestly say were problems!
So the pride and satisfaction that Geno, CD, Jamelle, Tonya, Morgan, and Ben are feeling is beyond belief!
And the amazing thing is they do it year after year!
If UConn can maintain the effort they've shown over the last 2 games into the NCAA Tournament there is nothing they can accomplish!

Reaction Score
As I'm in the middle of my 76 year and dealing with major health issues the last 11 years I have found I'm more an emotional person than years ago! I spent a lot of the last 2 games in tears, so proud of being a UConn WBB fan in awe of our players!
As I've mentioned previously, I coached HS Wrestling for 32 years, and had much success (inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame for CT in 2005) and big disappointments (runner up many times in State Tournaments) but I can realize what emotions go into being a successful Coach!
I can imagine the pride the UConn WBB coaching staff, from Geno & CD right on down are feeling today!
Any Coach, in any sport, would sell their soul for a team that win or lose gives everything they have in the pursuit of victory, individually or for the team! I've been blessed with 32 years of coaching some great Wrestlers who were even better human beings, from wonderful families, who would rise to the occasion time after time!
In those 32 years My staff and I had 367 young men and only 5 of that number I could honestly say were problems!
So the pride and satisfaction that Geno, CD, Jamelle, Tonya, Morgan, and Ben are feeling is beyond belief!
And the amazing thing is they do it year after year!
If UConn can maintain the effort they've shown over the last 2 games into the NCAA Tournament there is nothing they can accomplish!
you're not the only one who had something in their eyes!

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Wow
*I just love this team! it is by far not one of the more talented teams in UConn's history, but their spirit, love for one another and fight are remarkable!
*Paige: had to do so much more in this tournament with AE out and delivered time and time again at an All-World level! As Geno said in the press conference (which i highly recommend watching but be aware that it will be extremely hard not to tear), there are only 2 players in UConn that had to carry so much weight on their shoulders and carry the team and those are D and Paige. Paige Blockers :) 5 blocs in the final after 4 blocks in the semifinal...are you kidding me...
*Ice: i doubt we win this tournament with the Nov-Feb. Ice. Her performance in the last 2 games was owe inspiring. She was the center we all hoped for and with AE we suddenly have an actual frontline!
*Nike: a real good game by her and the one who "should have not start", is soon to become the all-time assist leader in UConn. It's amazing how much she grew and developed in those 4 years at UConn. A player with a heart bigger than her body.
*Ash: was great on defense. Missed some easy shots so i was very happy to see that it didn't discourage her and she made some shots afterwards.
*KK: a demon on defense. wish she would be a more consistent shooter but she is invaluable for this team. And she brings so much joy to the team. An Amazing teammate!
*Q: had a very good game. Showed that she deserves to get minutes in big game. I especially love her rebounding. She seems to have a great feel for rebounds and i think with some more strength training could be a beast on the boards.
*Geno and coaching staff: an amazing job of shuffling players and playing with the hand you are dealt. The growth of basically all the players is clear and that is why if you are a top recruit, you should come to UConn. THIs coaching staff will make you the best version of yourself.
*On to the NCAA's. how far UConn will go will probably depend on the draw and luck
*One thing is sure: regardless how far this team will get in the NCAA, this is one of my very Favorite UConn teams!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Had an Army buddy over yesterday who I hadn't seen since retiring from the Army. He was in Vegas for a convention. It was his first time watching the Huskies play and was very impressed. At the end of the awards ceremony he wanted to know why FS1 didn't show the cutting of the nets. He was kind of shocked when I said that UConn only cut the nets down after winning the National Championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Georgetown kids played tough, but not dirty. They have a lot to be proud of—I really appreciated Paige and Azzi seeking out that poor kid who blew out her knee vs. Creighton. 2 programs with a lot of class.
Yes, I loved that they took the time to speak to the injured Brianna Scott. WCBB tends to be more than wins and loses. It involves friendships and a sisterhood! Get well Brianna! Get well Azzi! Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, what a game!! What a team! We are blessed to have such wonderful coaches and players. I am proud of each and every one of them. Great game!! Go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
Not much more that I can add that's not already been said. It's been a pleasure to see this team with so many injured players that genuinely love each other and no drama whatsoever, which is refreshing to see these days. It's also wonderful to see how much Geno loves coaching this team and how gratifying for him to see Ice do something that she didn't think she could do. Proud papa indeed.

• Playing both games without any rest, I don't think I can count more than a couple of times where Ice was out of position. What a miraculous transformation. I couldn't believe my own eyes how great she played, especially on defense. So happy for her.
  • When you think Paige can't wow you any more, she has shown us this year that she can rebound with the best of them, play in the post with the best of them, block shots with the best of them and perimeter defend just as well as anyone on the team. From her freshman year to now, I have never seen someone that has improved in so many areas defensively as Paige; perhaps Stokes her senior year, but she was 6'3" and potential was there. I marvel at Paige every time I see her. And on top of all that as a player, she is even a better human being. Just wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom