UConn freshman Stephon Castle expected to soon declare for NBA Draft: 'What a lottery pick looks like' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn freshman Stephon Castle expected to soon declare for NBA Draft: 'What a lottery pick looks like'

Reaction Score
He has a real shot at going #1 overall

For real? I don't really follow the mock draft stuff and I do believe Steph will be a solid/good NBA player, but #1? I thought it was a pretty foregone conclusion that the 7 foot French kid was #1.

Reaction Score
For real? I don't really follow the mock draft stuff and I do believe Steph will be a solid/good NBA player, but #1? I thought it was a pretty foregone conclusion that the 7 foot French kid was #1.
Yes, for real. That Sarr guy isn't a Wemby level lock to go #1 overall. There was a mock draft the other day after the championship game that had Steph #1 and Clingan #3. Forget which publication it was though

Reaction Score
Hate to se him go for personal reasons but this kid worked his ass off and deserves this!
I don't recall who said this many years ago, but it went something like this: "I've heard this from an NBA GM concerning potential 1st or 2nd round players deciding to return for another year, the more I see some of these college players the less I tend to like them."

His point was that if a potential first or second round draft pick in the current draft returns to college but doesn't show enough Improvement, they risk dropping lower or completely out of the draft.

Castle is young, a likely lottery pick with perceived upside. If he were to return and not improve his three-point shooting, that could result in him dropping in the draft next year. Now granted, if he what you return and dramatically improves his three-point shooting and other aspects of his game, he could elevate his draft position next year, but that's taking a big chance, not to mention leaving a lot of money on the table.

As much as I would love to see him return, entering the NBA draft is the wiser choice.

Reaction Score
Yes, for real. That Sarr guy isn't a Wemby level lock to go #1 overall. There was a mock draft the other day after the championship game that had Steph #1 and Clingan #3. Forget which publication it was though

Hmmm... Ok, then. This is really a very weak draft (not a knock on Steph or DC).

Reaction Score
Steph is one I got wrong. And quite happy about it. Around about mid-January, after he had been back for six weeks or so from his injury, I saw the athletic potential, but didn‘t think he’d ever be a good college player. There were games when his jumper looked broke, his decision making wasn‘t great, and his defensive impact wasn’t evident yet. My thought was that he’d go on to be a good pro, but UConn wouldn't get the fruits of his development … they’d just have a raw freshman who didn’t know how to play yet, and that all of his potential would be realized at the next level, but we wouldn’t ever really see it here.

Kept those thoughts to myself (and family texts), fortunately. Otherwise, I’d have people bookmarking my tweets or posts telling me what an idiot I am. We ended up with a great college player, and I’ll never really think of him as a true one and done so much as a guy who just kept getting better after we recruited him, bought in to the team (and specifically the stopper role) completely, and accelerated his career path in the process.

He‘ll end up not being here long, but he’ll be a UConn guy forever.

Reaction Score
There was never any doubt, but by the end of the year it was clear that he was no longer being projected as a high pick only on potential. The production was there as well
Aside from Alex getting left off every award and team. How does castle not get national freshman of the year?

Reaction Score
Almost forgot he hasn’t officially declared yet.

Who will be the first boomer to say he needs to come back to work on his 3-point shooting?
There are tons already. It's insane.

Reaction Score
There are tons already. It's insane.
He'll be interesting to follow. Does he become a Philly-era Andre Iguodala? Or does he add more scoring and become a Jimmy Butler-type who plays off the ball or is he a PG?

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
NBADraftRoom has Castle going at 5 to the Hornets.

What kind of sick world?

Honestly, if him or Clingan gets told they are are going to Charlotte I honestly think they’d be better off coming back for another year.

There should be some type of waiver where if Charlotte says they will draft you (especially if a UConn player), you should be able to go back to college even if past the deadline.

FML if one of them goes there.

Reaction Score
My next favorite NBA team is whoever drafts Steph Castle.

Draft accordingly, NBA execs!

We really need Hornets, Wizards, Pistons, Blazers, Hawks to avoid getting our guys. These teams are straight trash.

Obviously Spurs would be ideal. Would love love love Castle or Clingan with Wemby.
Rockets (they own the Nets pick) have a bright future too
OKC (has rockets pick) would be most ideal but can't see either of our guys falling to 12-14
Not thrilled about Jazz but they have talent and cap space

Reaction Score
We really need Hornets, Wizards, Pistons, Blazers, Hawks to avoid getting our guys. These teams are straight trash.

Obviously Spurs would be ideal. Would love love love Castle or Clingan with Wemby.
OKC (has rockets pick) would be most ideal but can't see either of our guys falling to 12-14
Hey I would love to see him in Atlanta but I understand what you mean. The Hawks need to trade Trae Young and rebuild.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Hornets really have screwed me - they were my childhood team then drafted Emeka (kinda) Kemba Bazz (technically) and Bouk…not a one worked great.

I wish Bouk and Melo paired well then Clingan or Steph jumped in there ready to make a difference, but it wasn’t to be.

Jazz could be intriguing in a couple years. Spurs and Rockets have pieces.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Steph is one I got wrong. And quite happy about it. Around about mid-January, after he had been back for six weeks or so from his injury, I saw the athletic potential, but didn‘t think he’d ever be a good college player. There were games when his jumper looked broke, his decision making wasn‘t great, and his defensive impact wasn’t evident yet. My thought was that he’d go on to be a good pro, but UConn wouldn't get the fruits of his development … they’d just have a raw freshman who didn’t know how to play yet, and that all of his potential would be realized at the next level, but we wouldn’t ever really see it here.

Kept those thoughts to myself (and family texts), fortunately. Otherwise, I’d have people bookmarking my tweets or posts telling me what an idiot I am. We ended up with a great college player, and I’ll never really think of him as a true one and done so much as a guy who just kept getting better after we recruited him, bought in to the team (and specifically the stopper role) completely, and accelerated his career path in the process.

He‘ll end up not being here long, but he’ll be a UConn guy forever.

Big of you to say - I think there was some trepidation from a lot of people whether we'd ever get the full Steph Castle production. I worried about that a bit too.

Him turning it on and becoming a REALLY good player, not just a great athlete with potential, made him a lock lottery pick and made us back to back champs.

Reaction Score
No mixed feelings here. Great kid from a wonderful parents who was an absolute Husky from Day 1. He wasn’t at Storrs to create a position in the draft for himself, he was there for the same reason Cam Spencer was. To help be the best teammate and become a national champion.

There were mixed feelings early on as he had the injury and struggled to find his place on the team. Thoughts were “good thing is we’ll have him next year too” and while thinking that, the plus was if he became what we expected and heard about then we can do deep in the tourney.

Well he exceeded that, he was sooo good he helped this team win another NC, and he still only did what he needed to every game nothing more. Never tried to impress anyone he just played hard, he played tremendous D while rebounding, and getting to the basket like a man.

I can’t be more happy for a kid than Stephon he’s so well deserving. Thank you for your tremendous year as an Husky and a Husky forever. And thank you to his parents for allowing such a wonderful, grounded young man to bring his talents to Storrs. He’ll be great!!

Reaction Score
Hornets really have screwed me - they were my childhood team then drafted Emeka (kinda) Kemba Bazz (technically) and Bouk…not a one worked great.

I wish Bouk and Melo paired well then Clingan or Steph jumped in there ready to make a difference, but it wasn’t to be.

Jazz could be intriguing in a couple years. Spurs and Rockets have pieces.
Depends on your definition of worked out. Team success wise, they’ve been dreadful. Money wise, James Borrego turned Kemba into all NBA player and helped get him a max contract, so that definitely worked out. I get the hesitation tho. New ownrership, team structure, GM, & coach all incoming for the Hornets, we’ll see if they can get it going in the right direction. I actually think Steph alongside LaMelo & Brandon Miller makes a lot of sense. Hard to deny the spurs piece tho and getting to play with Wemby.

Reaction Score
I never met Mr. And Mrs. Castle, but it appears to me that this decision was not as obvious as we thought it was. We see basketball and money issues, whereas the Castle’s see their child. It’s not just about the 2 hours before and after games, but the remaining 22 hours of the day, particularly on the road. We simply don’t know this kid well enough to know how he would handle that. His parents do. I am not saying he is staying, only saying it wasn’t the done deal we thought it was.

It was obvious before he even stepped on campus. Get a grip, boomer

Reaction Score
If the Hornets or Pels draft either of these guys, I'm rioting. Plain and simple.

Who's with me?
I actually think Clingan would fit well with the Pels. JV is past it but can be a good guide into the league/help Clingan spread out his offense.

Too many guards/wings on both teams for Castle to develop though.

Reaction Score
Being a Hornets fan is a painful existence.

Really curious about our coaching search this offseason. We have a couple of real nice pieces in Melo and Miller, and should be in the running for a top three pick once again. Its frustrating to be sure.

Reaction Score
Depends on your definition of worked out. Team success wise, they’ve been dreadful. Money wise, James Borrego turned Kemba into all NBA player and helped get him a max contract, so that definitely worked out. I get the hesitation tho. New ownrership, team structure, GM, & coach all incoming for the Hornets, we’ll see if they can get it going in the right direction. I actually think Steph alongside LaMelo & Brandon Miller makes a lot of sense. Hard to deny the spurs piece tho and getting to play with Wemby.
*Steve Clifford

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Count me in as hoping Castle gets drafted by the Jazz or Spurs where there’s room for him to be a franchise guard.

Don’t want him going anywhere they have an established guy there already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom