UConn/Dook 2004 | The Boneyard

UConn/Dook 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just rewatched this game. These things jumped out at me:

1. Hard to believe we were a 2 seed.
2. Hard to believe St. Joes and Stanford were 1 seeds.
3. Hard to believe how dominant Josh Boone was (9pts, 14brds,
4. Hard to believe Josh probably peaked as a basketball player in this game.
5. Not hard to believe TBrown had 7! turnovers.
6. Hard to believe how poorly called this game was. Ticky tack fouls everywhere, and that was in a day and age where the bumping and pushing makes you think, "that's a foul!" about 50 times a game.

7. Shot 64% from the line. I'm really, really, really going to miss our 2014 free throw shooting - it was amazing, the story of the tourni, really, and it probably didn't get the attention and respect that it deserved.

Reaction Score

It was because of the early season losses. Number one in the preseason, number one when it mattered most.

They dominated that tourney like few teams have. When you recall the dismantling of Alabama the previous game......

Reaction Score

6. Hard to believe how poorly called this game was. Ticky tack fouls everywhere, and that was in a day and age where the bumping and pushing makes you think, "that's a foul!" about 50 times a game.

7. Shot 64% from the line. I'm really, really, really going to miss our 2014 free throw shooting - it was amazing, the story of the tourni, really, and it probably didn't get the attention and respect that it deserved.

Love watching this game from time to time. Usually start around the time we are facing our biggest deficit to see the comeback.

I think this year's team was given props for free throw shooting during the tournament though. Particularly in the championship game. It can be amazing the impact knocking down free throws can have on a game. On D, if you get beat or are facing a mismatch, you know in the back of your mind fouling is a great option, if say Kentucky, can't hit a free throw to save their lives. If they had been able to then the complexion of the game changes completely.

It was great listening to Izzo and Ollie go back and forth during the coach's round table at the Pentagon with Jay Bilas. Izzo basically cried over the fact that we wouldn't miss in the elite eight.

Reaction Score

It was a poorly officiated game, but both teams suffered from bad calls. It still cracks me up that Dook fans complain about the officiating in that game. Their team had an 8 point lead with 3 minutes to go. The refs didn't start calling phantoms technicals on Dook at that point to let UConn back in the game.

Reaction Score
Strummer said:
Just rewatched this game. These things jumped out at me: 1. Hard to believe we were a 2 seed. 2. Hard to believe St. Joes and Stanford were 1 seeds. 3. Hard to believe how dominant Josh Boone was (9pts, 14brds, 4. Hard to believe Josh probably peaked as a basketball player in this game. 5. Not hard to believe TBrown had 7! turnovers. 6. Hard to believe how poorly called this game was. Ticky tack fouls everywhere, and that was in a day and age where the bumping and pushing makes you think, "that's a foul!" about 50 times a game. 7. Shot 64% from the line. I'm really, really, really going to miss our 2014 free throw shooting - it was amazing, the story of the tourni, really, and it probably didn't get the attention and respect that it deserved.

It was kind of hard to believe Taliek had 7 turnovers. He had 4 or less in 37 of 39 games that season (5 vs Miami being the other exception, when he had 13 assists). He had his worst game of the year by far in that one, but much like KEA's stink bomb vs Gonzaga, we overcame it and all's forgiven.

Reaction Score
One of our greatest wins especially down 8 with 3m to go. Have to admit didn't think we could get it done. Watching those last few minutes gives me goose pimples (wanted to say something else, u know what I mean) . The look on the rat's face as well as the duke players is priceless as it all slipped away.

Reaction Score
It was kind of hard to believe Taliek had 7 turnovers. He had 4 or less in 37 of 39 games that season (5 vs Miami being the other exception, when he had 13 assists). He had his worst game of the year by far in that one, but much like KEA's stink bomb vs Gonzaga, we overcame it and all's forgiven.
There are some people who can just never pass up an opportunity to take shots at Taliek. Then again, we're taking about a guy who said one of the things that jumped out at him watching the UCONN/Duke game was that it was hard to believe Stanford and St. Joes were number 1 seeds. I guess those two teams scrimmaged at the halftime of our game and I missed it or something.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not a knock on Taliek, but "four or less" is an odd cutoff if you're trying to prove a point in his favor. Four turnovers in a game is a lot.

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
Not a knock on Taliek, but "four or less" is an odd cutoff if you're trying to prove a point in his favor. Four turnovers in a game is a lot.

Not really. Four in a specific game isn't an alarming number - expected to be in the normal bell curve of a point guard averaging 2.5 or so. Seven sure is. Five is pushing it, but a 13:5 ratio makes up for it.

The point wasn't that four is a great day, it was that seven was a massive outlier. But he only had 4 in a game five times, so if you want to use 3 or less as the cutoff, it was 32 out of 39 games.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Boone gets a bad rap sometimes.

He didn't turn out to be an Okafor and of course being on the 2006 team carries a stigma, but he was a pretty dam good player and would've started on the 2011 and 2014 title teams.

Now whatever happened to his free throw shooting in the NBA is a different story.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
MCBB is a guards game. To win a NC you need a a good point guard.
Some of the same people that make these statements also knock TB.
Counting TOs without counting assists is like counting incomplete passes w/o counting completions.

Reaction Score
Every time Rashard Anderson was at the free throw line he would mumble "don't worry about it" before he shot the ball.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Every time Rashard Anderson was at the free throw line he would mumble "don't worry about it" before he shot the ball.

I looked again and that was clear. Cool.

Reaction Score
Who's Rashard Anderson? I remember a Rashad Anderson but I don't think UConn has ever had a Rashard Anderson. Must have been before my time. :)

Reaction Score
By far my favorite 2:35 in sports or close to. Turn on 2nd 1/2 with 2:35 left, think we were down 6 maybe, and went on the great ending run. Thank gosh JJ was awful down the stretch.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think our 2004 team was one of the worst FT shooting teams to ever win it all.

It was agreed universally that free throw shooting would prevent us from winning the title until we won the title.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
By far my favorite 2:35 in sports or close to. Turn on 2nd 1/2 with 2:35 left, think we were down 6 maybe, and went on the great ending run. Thank gosh JJ was awful down the stretch.

Rashad hit that 3 before any of us could really panic. That shot was on par with Brimah's And-1. Without it, we are in BIG trouble.

I think we were down 75-68. Duke had just scored but Rashad got that shot up and in within 10 seconds.

Any Duke fan who's a fan of basketball should spend his time criticizing the Duke players for their awful clock management and shot selection, rather than the officials. Duke snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom