UConn-Creighton postgame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-Creighton postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With as many minutes as the starters had to play today, I'm concerned with how they'll manage 3 games in 3 days at the BE tournament. And we're likely to face Creighton again in game 3.
The next game is in 6 days, Sunday, then Wednesday, then Saturday. Then the team gets a full week off before playing at noon in their own back yard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Liya was mauled for much of the game, but she adjusted and persisted and wound up with another 20-point game. Unanimous All-Conference. She has become really, really good. She'll make some WNBA GM very, very happy. Possibly the best PF in the nation.

Paige had a slow start in terms of shooting, missing some shots that she normally makes. But then she scored on a deep 3, an inbound play, a tip-in, and a hesitation move. She has the fullest repertoire in the nation, beyond even Clark, Hidalgo, JuJu, and Fulwiley. Paige also recorded 3 blocks, including when she absolutely locked up Maly, plus a tip/steal on an inbound pass. She'll compete with Nika for BE DPOY.

Ash found her shooting stroke. I think she locked up BE FOY. She plays 40 minutes hard and has energy left over.

KK was a demon on defense, but should spend extra time practicing FTs.

Nika is expanding her offensive repertoire, I'm sure she made her parents proud.

Ice had a weak first half, but a solid second half. She has definitely improved.

The crowd was large and fairly loud. It pleases me to see XL full, as it used to be. Paige is worth the price of admission. I love the rest of the team as well.

Reaction Score
I get why some people are on KK a little. I think KK realized her shot was off a bit, but she still has to shoot when Paige finds her all by herself in the corner.

It's been talked about, but Shade's near double-double was very impressive when you throw in that she scored 15 on mid-volume shooting and she didn't have single turnover. And she played 40 minutes. Her conditioning is impressive. It's not like she takes plays off. She bounces around and just keeps on going like the energizer bunny.
KK is the magic sauce for this team. She runs at a high speed and is the disrupter on defense. I like her drives, just needs to cross over and use the hoop more to guard her shot against larger opponents. Must of our offense is developed on one side of the court or the other so the result is too much standing around by the passive players. This appears to be a coaching decision to prevent clogging the middle.

Our passive side players need to continue to shoot threes, they will fall enough to spread the court. KK is having a shooting slump, that will change when a couple of her great drives finish. Go KK! Same for Shade and Q, We need them all as they, when effective, allow greater operating space for Paige and Edwards. We won yesterday playing only one strong quarter. Another decent one and two even quarters against better teams and we will advance. All starters need to put up 8-10 shots a game, more if hot.

Reaction Score
KK is the magic sauce for this team. She runs at a high speed and is the disrupter on defense. I like her drives, just needs to cross over and use the hoop more to guard her shot against larger opponents. Must of our offense is developed on one side of the court or the other so the result is too much standing around by the passive players. This appears to be a coaching decision to prevent clogging the middle.

Our passive side players need to continue to shoot threes, they will fall enough to spread the court. KK is having a shooting slump, that will change when a couple of her great drives finish. Go KK! Same for Shade and Q, We need them all as they, when effective, allow greater operating space for Paige and Edwards. We won yesterday playing only one strong quarter. Another decent one and two even quarters against better teams and we will advance. All starters need to put up 8-10 shots a game, more if hot.
KK continues to drive to the basket numerous times with the same result, a missed layup and on the floor. using her speed and quickness is ok but the result on hard drives to the basket are the same. Missing free throws adds to the issue at hand. The ‘shooting slump’ is related to the unsuccessful drives to the basket. She’s a freshman asked to play extended minutes yet these missed layups are not helping. Protect the ball and kick the ball out.

Reaction Score
I watched Ash, only, for the third period...she never stopped for more than 3 seconds. She gets the John Havlicek award for stamina and skill. Really nice second half Huskies! They were challenged and pulled it out nicely.
Great image of perpetual motion to refer to! He was fun to watch. Ashlynn is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
KK continues to drive to the basket numerous times with the same result, a missed layup and on the floor. using her speed and quickness is ok but the result on hard drives to the basket are the same. Missing free throws adds to the issue at hand. The ‘shooting slump’ is related to the unsuccessful drives to the basket. She’s a freshman asked to play extended minutes yet these missed layups are not helping. Protect the ball and kick the ball out.
Players have to "looking for their shot," yes... but... I think KK would do better thinking "How can I manoever myself with my excellent 'handle' to set up other shooters?"

Reaction Score
With as many minutes as the starters had to play today, I'm concerned with how they'll manage 3 games in 3 days at the BE tournament. And we're likely to face Creighton again in game 3.
Hopefully, we'll have the games well in hand by the 4th quarter where we can use what little bench we have to rest the starters a bit. Having beaten Creighton twice by 44 and 20 points, I'm not particularly worried about them or anyone else in the Big East. Let's hope they too have to play their starters a lot of minutes 3 days in a row.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Our staff, I would hope is using analysis and other tools to note that KK's jump shot and free throw shooting has very little back spin and a less than optimal arc. That can be addressed in the gym with repetition and a broom stick. I mean, there are now 5 assistant coaches so someone has to be paying attention right?

Reaction Score
Our staff, I would hope is using analysis and other tools to note that KK's jump shot and free throw shooting has very little back spin and a less than optimal arc. That can be addressed in the gym with repetition and a broom stick. I mean, there are now 5 assistant coaches so someone has to be paying attention right?
By "a broom stick" you mean she needs to shoot over top of the broom stick to adjust her arch, correct?

Reaction Score
Are Nika and Paige PO'd at each other. They seemed to be arguing at the beginning of the presser.
I think it was a friendly convo between them. And even if they’re mad at each other, they are smart enough to keep that hidden, and not present that spat to the press/public.

Reaction Score
KK has the magic dribbles to get to the hoop, not many do but the best teams have such players. IMO she needs to continue to do that and needs to be coached up to make more than miss more. The drop pass to a big or pass to the corner is always an option. This is a strength or KK. She will learn and make better decisions by playing more as she has. She is a fierce competitor and will allow us to move back into the top five over time.

Reaction Score
Liya was mauled for much of the game, but she adjusted and persisted and wound up with another 20-point game. Unanimous All-Conference. She has become really, really good. She'll make some WNBA GM very, very happy. Possibly the best PF in the nation.

Paige had a slow start in terms of shooting, missing some shots that she normally makes. But then she scored on a deep 3, an inbound play, a tip-in, and a hesitation move. She has the fullest repertoire in the nation, beyond even Clark, Hidalgo, JuJu, and Fulwiley. Paige also recorded 3 blocks, including when she absolutely locked up Maly, plus a tip/steal on an inbound pass. She'll compete with Nika for BE DPOY.

Ash found her shooting stroke. I think she locked up BE FOY. She plays 40 minutes hard and has energy left over.

KK was a demon on defense, but should spend extra time practicing FTs.

Nika is expanding her offensive repertoire, I'm sure she made her parents proud.

Ice had a weak first half, but a solid second half. She has definitely improved.

The crowd was large and fairly loud. It pleases me to see XL full, as it used to be. Paige is worth the price of admission. I love the rest of the team as well.
Why did Geno play her 40 minutes when he said he wanted to rest his starters?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who, her? Aaliyah played 27 minutes, Paige played 39 because the team needed scoring and tough defense. No one on the bench can do what Paige does.

Ash played the full 40 and looked like she could play 40 more.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Why did Geno play her 40 minutes when he said he wanted to rest his starters?
Ash was doing training in Jr. High with her father who trains professional athletes. There are videos of her along side of men twice her age participating in the drills. She is probably the most physically conditioned player to ever play for UConn WBB.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Caitlin shoots from different places, but I see Paige take a greater variety of shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom