UConn Conference vs Catholic 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Conference vs Catholic 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In my opinion both of these conferences are weak, but I'm not sure why the C7 is so excited. Do they really think replacing UConn, Louisville, Cuse, and Pitt with Butler, Xavier and Dayton is an improvement? Eventually we will move on to a real a conference, but C7 schools are permanently mid-major. If you take a look at the top 50 teams in both conferences you won't see much of a difference. We also play a real OOC schedule unlike our scaredy cat friends in Rhode Island. Keep in mind that next year Memphis, UConn and Cinci should move up while C7 teams lose a lot of good players.

Big Priest:

Georgetown 6
Marquette 12
Butler 20
Nova 50

UConn Conference:

Memphis 16
Temple 36
UConn 46
Cincinnati 47
*Louisville (next year at least) 3

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
MSG, Footprint + Big Priest Quality > Cross Coastal Conference aka CCC aka C^3 aka XCC (my names). I kinda like the idea of "the cube" or "C-Cube" I think you gotta name the conference more for the short hand than the long hand. Nobody says atlantic coast conference.

I expect that the Big Priest will grow into the voids opened up by departing programs. They will benefit from recruiting declines in NYC at Pittsburgh, Syracuse and in my opinion UConn to a certain extent.

Reaction Score
The thing that confuses me about the C7 members is that they seem to evaluate the strength of their future conference by projecting out their members based upon their recent history. The problem with this analysis is that it neglects to consider the extent to which their members have benefited by being in a major conference, which has largely been one of the best in college basketball over the past decade. Moving forward, however, Syracuse, Pitt, Uconn and Louisville, the class of the conference, are gone. Moreover, the C7 joins the ranks of the have-nots. The lack of football will prevent the C7 from being promoted in the same manner, earning the same money, or having the same cache amongst recruits as the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10 and the ACC. As a result, the division between the big 5 conferences and the others is only going to grow. What they should expect/fear is that their programs will slowly wilt until the quality of basketball in the conference resembles the A-10 or WCC, as we currently know them.

Having said that, Uconn is in no better position in its current conference. At least, however, the existence of a D1 Football program, a tremendously successful Athletic Department and an improving academic profile gives us the hope for a reprieve.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The C-10 isn't at all worried.
NCAA
Georgetown
Butler
Creighton
Marquette
Nova

NIT
PC
SJU
Xavier

Out
Seton Hall
DePaul

Reaction Score
I believe St.Louis will be in... so that league will be impressive when all said & done.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
What they should expect/fear is that their programs will slowly wilt until the quality of basketball in the conference resembles the A-10 or WCC, as we currently know them.

Without Football they become Gonzaga and Butler. . That's their thinking

Reaction Score
Why is the new Big East making less money? They are actually nearly making triple their yearly haul! Quality programs coming in, I don't see it wilting. Will be good programs throughout for the most part.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need to stop these butt-hurt threads. It makes our program look even more pathetic than it already is. The C7 didn't do anything to hurt UConn, and they will be a very good league going forward.

Reaction Score
There is no way you lose the four best programs(UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville), and arguably 7 of the best 10(WVU, ND, Cincy), replace them with quality mid majors and STILL not take a major step back. There is no question that the league will be competitive but most of the C-7 benefited greatly from the depth of the Big East and the ability to play the "national heavyweights" mentioned above. Take Villanova for example. They had brutal non-conference losses that they were able to overcome with 5 or 6 top 50 wins.( 3 top 5s). That most likely won't happen in the C-7 and subsequently, if Nova has a resume in terms of non-conference/conference record next year, they would be left out.

Still, sadly, everything about the C-7, the traditional programs, the major markets, MSG, etc is still infinitely better than the Big Suck or America 12 or NBE, or whatever its called.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Still, sadly, everything about the C-7, the traditional programs, the major markets, MSG, etc is still infinitely better than the Big Suck or America 12 or NBE, or whatever its called.

That is what's relevant. It's a credible league with likely the 3rd best RPI profile in basketball after next year behind the ACC and BiG. Sure the Big-12 and MWC will have their years but its ahead of the SEC and PAC-12 and dwarfs what's left of the A-12, MVC, and Atlantis-12. Let's see if they pry Gonzaga and St Mary's loose or stick with some combination of St Louis, Dayton or Richmond to round out the 12..

Reaction Score
No one thinks the new BE is better than the old; but given the circumstances; the new conference is the best circumstance

Reaction Score
I believe St.Louis will be in... so that league will be impressive when all said & done.

St Louis wasn't really anyting until the last few years, Majerus is obviously gone, it remains to be seen how they'll do if Crews keeps the job.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For the C-7, they get the same money and no longer need to deal with FB. I get why they left. I just hope they die an ignorable death.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
In my opinion both of these conferences are weak, but I'm not sure why the C7 is so excited. Do they really think replacing UConn, Louisville, Cuse, and Pitt with Butler, Xavier and Dayton is an improvement? Eventually we will move on to a real a conference, but C7 schools are permanently mid-major. If you take a look at the top 50 teams in both conferences you won't see much of a difference. We also play a real OOC schedule unlike our scaredy cat friends in Rhode Island. Keep in mind that next year Memphis, UConn and Cinci should move up while C7 teams lose a lot of good players.

Big Priest:

Georgetown 6
Marquette 12
Butler 20
Nova 50

UConn Conference:

Memphis 16
Temple 36
UConn 46
Cincinnati 47

LMAO.

1. Keep going past 4 for both conferences. The C-7 keeps going down. The fkaNNNBE just falls off a cliff.

2. Even the #'s you use show that, at the top, the C-7 is better at the moment.

Reaction Score
It wasn't like they had a choice of replacing Syracuse, Pitt etc. or create the new conference. Clearly, the new Big East will not be a better conference, but given the circumstances it will provide stability. It may also give teams like Seton Hall and St. John's a chance to become more relevant. Overall, it seems like it will be a good conference with similar non-football schools and those schools should be pleased with that.

The new Big East won't even be close to being a mid-major. Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette will never be considered anything other than major.

Reaction Score
I saw both Georgetown- Syracuse, and Louisville- Syracuse the following night. I would easily rate fan interest for these two games as #1--Syracuse; #2 Louisville, and a distant #3 as G'town.
IMHO, unless St. John's is a super team (highly unlikely) the Garden will be a morgue for these teams in the future.

Reaction Score

Big Priest:

Georgetown 6
Marquette 12
Butler 20
Nova 50

UConn Conference:

Memphis 16
Temple 36
UConn 46
Cincinnati 47

this is all past tense, but I would like to know who the idiot was that had the idea to break up the best conference(IMHO) in the nation. this was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Georgetown wont play UCONN, Syracuse Pitt, or Louisville any more. Wow . How exciting. They should have a cakewalk through that pathetic conference. UCONN isn't much better, not having there main rivals to play, but a bunch of unknowns thrown int a mish mash conference. I can't believe how pizzzed I am at the stupidity of all this. Over and Out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you're looking for someone to blame look in the mirror

LMAO.

Providence, the Providence mentality, killed the conference.

Reaction Score
St Louis wasn't really anyting until the last few years, Majerus is obviously gone, it remains to be seen how they'll do if Crews keeps the job.

I've said this before as well. I don't think people have actually taken a look at St. Louis' record over the last decade or so. St. Louis was LOSING to the very teams the pumpers make fun of, since St. Louis was sub .500 in CUSA for lots of years. St. Louis was Tulane until very recently.

Reaction Score
I've said this before as well. I don't think people have actually taken a look at St. Louis' record over the last decade or so. St. Louis was LOSING to the very teams the pumpers make fun of, since St. Louis was sub .500 in CUSA for lots of years. St. Louis was Tulane until very recently.

Yea, and St Louis becoming good with the right oldschool coaching hire makes me at least hopefull that a school like SMU can have a quick turnaround for however long Larry Brown stays there. If we're not in this conference for long(wishful thinking), it would be for the best if one of these schools in the bottom can emerge from the slop and become a viable basketball program to help UConn's resume come tourney time.

D

DanDar

They are excited because they left the drama behind. They are in a conference of like-minded universities. I'd be excited if I were them too.

Reaction Score
Take a look at how many A12 teams made the NIT and CBI. Yeah, at the top the two leagues are even but the be has more depth.

Reaction Score
Why is the new Big East making less money? They are actually nearly making triple their yearly haul! Quality programs coming in, I don't see it wilting. Will be good programs throughout for the most part.
The projected viewership is not very good. Media is all about numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom