UConn Basketball Champions Center should be done very soon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Basketball Champions Center should be done very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't there an intramural sports/gym building going up as well? or at least replacing something (field house) ?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
A fundraising opportunity missed!

They're still trying to sell pavers at the Alumni House, and those have been available since the 90's.

Reaction Score
Isn't there an intramural sports/gym building going up as well? or at least replacing something (field house) ?
Yeah the BOT proved the bigger of the 2 plans presented to them for a new student rec center. Plan is to build it on the old X-Lot. There were also thoughts on putting the new ice hockey arena next to it so they could share utilities (water, sewer, power). Last I heard from a friend of mine up there who is in emergency services the ice hockey arena may go where the Field House is now.

Reaction Score
Construction of a new track facility for hammer throw and shot put went out to bid yesterday. A new softball facility is scheduled to be built on the old hammer/shot put/stadium facilities building site.
That's awesome....it just blows my mind on how many facility upgrades have been/are being/and will be done under Warde Manuel. The ONLY thing hathaway started...or tried top start was the basketball facility...the football facility was done under Perkins before he left. All Hathaway did was inherit that project. You want to see why we are where we are in CR...take one look at facility upgrades under that idiot! I can't wait until they do the soccer stadium too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They're still trying to sell pavers at the Alumni House, and those have been available since the 90's.

Must be available at a good price now!

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I was up about two weeks ago and was surprised at how fast it came together. Hoping to get up there soon too check out the Husky Museum because it closed before I got there. Also going to try to get a quick glimpse of the center before being kicked out. I assume they have a ring scanner for entrance at the door?

Reaction Score
Also going to try to get a quick glimpse of the center before being kicked out.
Been there, tried that yet certainly gave it the old college, Boneyard try. Hey, I got inside and reached for an entrance to the Inner Sanctum before Tim Tolokan, some guy who appeared to be more of a construction project manager, and some other guy politely, yet sternly directed me straight out the front door.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Yeah the BOT proved the bigger of the 2 plans presented to them for a new student rec center. Plan is to build it on the old X-Lot. There were also thoughts on putting the new ice hockey arena next to it so they could share utilities (water, sewer, power). Last I heard from a friend of mine up there who is in emergency services the ice hockey arena may go where the Field House is now.

I've heard there are some issues with the new rec center. Any chance you've heard the same and have any info?

Reaction Score
With the landscaping complete and the grass seed finally coming in, the new BB center looks great!! Great curb appeal.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
With the landscaping complete and the grass seed finally coming in, the new BB center looks great!! Great curb appeal.

You take any good pics?

Reaction Score
That's awesome....it just blows my mind on how many facility upgrades have been/are being/and will be done under Warde Manuel. The ONLY thing hathaway started...or tried top start was the basketball facility...the football facility was done under Perkins before he left. All Hathaway did was inherit that project. You want to see why we are where we are in CR...take one look at facility upgrades under that idiot! I can't wait until they do the soccer stadium too.

This isn't completely true - the Burton/Shenk opened in 2007, and Perkins left in the summer of 2003, before we ever played a game at The Rent. The only new facility that Perkins really was around for is The Rent, but he left two months before the Indiana game, and Hathaway was his guy on that project anyway.

But, it looks like Manuel's tenure will leave indelible stamps all over campus, and that's a good thing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is it true that the finishing touch is a plan to fire up the Patoni kiln to make ceiling tiles that will form the image of a giant Neapolitan apizza?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah well even if the kiln could be found and reassembled who among us could possibly man it? I'm afraid the secret of Patoni tile died with the master. You do realize that the pattern in the front enterance which is a tile pattern forming a basketball net is intended as a tribute to Patoni. His tiles are what make Gampel the architectural marvel that it is today.

Reaction Score
This isn't completely true - the Burton/Shenk opened in 2007, and Perkins left in the summer of 2003, before we ever played a game at The Rent. The only new facility that Perkins really was around for is The Rent, but he left two months before the Indiana game, and Hathaway was his guy on that project anyway.

But, it looks like Manuel's tenure will leave indelible stamps all over campus, and that's a good thing.
Perkins started that project...Hathaway only saw it completed. He did absolutely nothing to upgrade any facilities while he was AD.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Perkins started that project...Hathaway only saw it completed. He did absolutely nothing to upgrade any facilities while he was AD.

That's not accurate.

Jeff was actually a very effective administrator for much of his time at UConn - it just really got away from him.

He didn't delegate well and eventually seemed determined to get on the wrong side of every coach on campus - it worked and that was the end of him.

Reaction Score
That's not accurate.

Jeff was actually a very effective administrator for much of his time at UConn - it just really got away from him.

He didn't delegate well and eventually seemed determined to get on the wrong side of every coach on campus - it worked and that was the end of him.
I will respectfully disagree with you here Fishy...only because I had an inside view via a member of the football staff. He was HORRIBLE at dealing with donors, worse dealing with his staff...his reputation as " a great #2 who became a horrible #1" is well earned. He should have been fired after the Monaco Ford ticket fiasco!

Reaction Score

Perkins's contribution was getting about 2/3 of the cost of the facility paid for by the State (UConn 2000). That's it, really. By the time that ground broke, he was a Jayhawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom