UConn Baseball ~ Seton Hall Series | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball ~ Seton Hall Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's a little info on one of our future pitching prospects. Anthony Kay pitched a no hitter for his Stony brook HS vs another highly regarded D-1 pitcher, Matt Vogel who's South Carolina bound. This, in their season opener.

Reaction Score
When the best pitcher is pitching for the other team you want him to throw pitches to try and get his pitch count up and get him out of the game. UConn still insists at swinging at that first pitch and I know it is their philosophy but when he just threw 4 straight balls to Ferriter and Mazzilli comes up and swings at the first pitch and grounds into a DP it is frustrating. I say take atleast 1 pitch and possible let Ferriter steal 2nd.

Reaction Score
And Seton Hall is back up one with Bulter giving up a triple after replacing Marzi. Then UConn ties it up as Verdi advances to home on an error while stealing 3rd. 3-3 Top of the 8th.

Reaction Score
4-3 Seton Hall. They send the runner with 2 outs and hit the ball where the fielder would have been for a hit. Now why does it seem like we never get breaks like that.

Reaction Score
Two base running blunders in top of 11. Runner picked off stealing second and another picked off first.
I think something that's really hurting this team right now aside from our sloppy baserunning is also our inability to be able to throw out opponents baserunners. We did throw out 1 today but on the year we are giving away to many stolen bases. We also continue to seemingly to give up a lot of bunt singles.

Reaction Score
I think something that's really hurting this team right now aside from our sloppy baserunning is also our inability to be able to throw out opponents baserunners. We did throw out 1 today but on the year we are giving away to many stolen bases. We also continue to seemingly to give up a lot of bunt singles.

With the one caught stealing today in the first game, UConn catchers have now thrown out a grand total of three base stealers all season. That is the one glaring defensive weakness this team has.

Reaction Score
With the one caught stealing today in the first game, UConn catchers have now thrown out a grand total of three base stealers all season. That is the one glaring defensive weakness this team has.
One of those caught stealings was actually a pick off as I believe they count pick offs as a caught stealing. And what you know, Seton Hall leads off the second game with a bunt single. Do we not practise against the bunt?

Reaction Score
One of those caught stealings was actually a pick off as I believe they count pick offs as a caught stealing. And what you know, Seton Hall leads off the second game with a bunt single. Do we not practise against the bunt?

From what I can figure, pick offs are credited as caught stealing if the player breaks to second (or the next base) instead of going back to the base. If they dive back into the base and are called out, it does not. UConn runners seem to often continue onto the next base, so it often gets converted into a caught stealing.

Reaction Score
Top of the 3rd had 1st and 2nd with 1 out and Ferriter who is a .300+ career hitter flies out as he is in a terrible slump right now and Mazzilli as he is custom to doing swings at the first pitch and lines out. He is struggling so far on the day as well 0-6. I know people on here will disagree with me but I hate the philosophy of swinging at the first pitch like our team often does especially in college baseball where pitchers tend to be wild. I think we need to take more pitches and work the count.

Reaction Score
Anyone seen our offense today. MIA. Seton Hall 1-0 bottom of the 6th.

Reaction Score
Potential rally in the top of the 8th, 1st and 2nd 2 outs after the pitcher walks Daniello and Melley grounds out on a first pitch swing. I bet if you look at our stats this year on guys that have swung on first pitches and made contact, I would almost guarantee that our batting average is not good. If you scouted us you would know we do it and would almost tell your pitcher not to go right down the middle on the first pitch but work the edges. I wonder how many are making contact on questionable pitches.

Reaction Score
Final Seton Hall 3-0. We managed a total of 3 hits. I will make a bold prediction and say this team scores atleast 8 runs next game. The only games this team seems to have their offense clicking is when Cross pitches and when he pitches is probably the one time where you can get away with not scoring but 1 or 2 runs because he has been so dominant. We are certainly not getting the Senior leadership right now from Mazzilli and Ferriter.

Reaction Score
We are certainly not getting the Senior leadership right now from Mazzilli and Ferriter.

Not sure I understand this... leadership in production or or you saying something else?

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball (@UConnBaseball)
3/28/13, 8:34 PM
Recap: Huskies swept in twinbill by Seton Hall...Siena collects four of UConn's 11 hits.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/032813aaa.html

Game Notes:
- UConn snapped a streak of six straight extra-inning victories in game one; last losing in extras to Seton Hall in the BIG EAST Championship in 2011.
- The Huskies were shutout for the first time this season in game two; last being shutout in the 2012 BIG EAST Championship by USF.
- LJ Mazzilli went 0-for-5 in game on to snap a career-best 15-game hitting streak.
- The top three hitters in the UConn order combined to go 2-for-24 in the doubleheader, both hits by Tom Verdi (2-for-9).
- The bullpen allowed an extra-inning run for the first time this season and snapped a streak of 20 straight innings without allowing a run.
- Vinny Siena tied for the team-lead in multi-hit games with his third three-hit game of the season.
- Seton Hall leads the all-time series with Connecticut, 45-32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom