UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Nico Darras hit .350 for Mystic in the NE collegiate league. He has 3HR's including one in the playoffs.

PG Croschecker lists 5 recruits incoming for UConn in 2014. Four of the recruits listed are Rajkowski of N.Caanan, Reisdorf of Winsted Yahn of Housatonic, and Gorgas.
They don't list Riley(MA), Darras, Lamberti, or Rivera . This means there is one more 2014 recruit. I don't subscribe there. Anyone know who that mystery 5th listed 2014 recruit is?

I could be wrong, but isn't Nico Darras transferring in and playing for UConn this coming season? I know collegiate baseball transferring rules can be a bit tricky, but it seems that not every player has to sit out a year after transferring.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but isn't Nico Darras transferring in and playing for UConn this coming season? I know collegiate baseball transferring rules can be a bit tricky, but it seems that not every player has to sit out a year after transferring.

Checked w/ Chris Jones of WHUS Radio about Darras and he's 90% sure he has to sit a year in residence but will check when back on campus next week.

Reaction Score
  • Here's another commit for 2014. His name is William Montgomerie a 6' 3" RHP from the Salisbury School. This, according to PG Cross checker, who just released the 2014 commits. Anyone know anything about this kid?

Reaction Score
And another pitcher for 2014 is C.J. Dandereau a 6'0" RHP from LaSalle Acad. in R.I. I
believe that's 10 for next year. This includes the Fullerton State transfer.

Reaction Score
And another pitcher for 2014 is C.J. Dandereau a 6'0" RHP from LaSalle Acad. in R.I. I
believe that's 10 for next year. This includes the Fullerton State transfer.

Can't wait to see a school released roster.

Reaction Score
Here's a scary note on future huskie baseball recruits.. Scout lists Marvin Georgas as the #72 HS prospect in the nation. #5 in the Northeast. This usually means top 5 rounds.
Ronnie Rossomando is considered #2 in the northeast, for 2015, which translates to top 3 rounds.
Penders is a hell of a recruiter, but, he has his work cut out for himself.
My guess is these kids will follow Milone's progress, good or bad, before making a decision.

Reaction Score
A Summer to remember for Gorgas - http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9130 - Gonna be a miracle to get MG on campus.

"Performing at such a high level in an international setting, as well as in the elite national spotlight, the once well-kept secret from Connecticut may be faced with the fortunate situation of deciding between beginning his journey to Major League Baseball in June or suiting up for the UConn Huskies.

“Right now, I’m trying to focus on school and graduate first and whatever happens, happens,” Gorgas said when asked which path he would likely choose if presented the option. “If somebody sees something good in me and they want to take me I’d be happy to go (professional).”

KendallRogersPG
4:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn commit @JBrownPG: Fun watching progression of 2014 RHP Marvin Gorgas since spring. Better velo, command, & better SL #PGTourney

JBrownPG
In his first innging Gorgas touched a 94, sitting 90/91 mph with a 84/86 2 seam and a tight 78/80 SL w hard, late break #PGTourney

JBrownPG
After a long layoff between his 2nd &3rd, Gorgas comes back stronger, sitting 91/92 and painting outer half. Legit 2-seam at 85 #PGTourney

Reaction Score
I heard through the grapevine that Callahan Brown a 6'3" highly regarded pitcher from Jupiter Fla.(2012 grad) transferred to UConn from Miss. St. Not sure if he got into any game action there.
He'll probably have to sit this season out and have 3 years of eligibility.
Anyone know anything about him?

Reaction Score
I heard through the grapevine that Callahan Brown a 6'3" highly regarded pitcher from Jupiter Fla.(2012 grad) transferred to UConn from Miss. St. Not sure if he got into any game action there.
He'll probably have to sit this season out and have 3 years of eligibility.
Anyone know anything about him?

Didn't see any stats for him @ MSU. Looks like he was born in RI, played @ Smithfield HS and then moved to FLA. PG has his FB @ 89. Doesn't seem that there is tons of info out there on him - but his twitter lists him as "UConn Baseball RHP" :)

Reaction Score
2014 recruit Nick Lamberti (East Haven High School), IF/OF commits to UConn.

http://nhrbaseball.blogspot.com/2013/07/good-eye-east-havens-nick-lamberti.html

>>East Haven outfielder Nick Lamberti committed to the University of Connecticut. The outfielder had another strong season, posting a .589 batting average and .740 on-base percentage with 21 stolen bases and 20 runs. Lamberti, who will be a senior in the fall, said the scholarship offer is still being discussed and that he is going to use his senior year to decide what he will major in.

He was also getting looks from St. John's, Hartford and Southern Connecticut State University, but osaid he is pleased with his choice and happy to get this weight off his shoulders before his senior year.

"I'm really happy, now I can just go into every game and play like no one's watching me," he said. "I've already committed, I don't have to worry about anything."

The outfielder said defending Big East champion UConn's future is bright and he wants to be a part of it. He joins a long list of the state's best high school players to stay home and play for UConn. All-State players like Amity pitcher Sam Nepiarsky, Foran catcher Joe Zanghi and Fitch shortstop Aaron Hill have all decided to play for the Huskies.

"I think they've got a shot to go to the World Series in Omaha," Lamberti said. "They're in a new conference, new teams, a lot of travel. This is Division I baseball and its one of the best schools in the northwest (sic)."

Lamberti & Georgas made PG Cross checker all star team in a Fla. based tourney. PG has Lamberti listed as a UMass commit. Has he changed his mind?

Reaction Score
Lamberti & Georgas made PG Cross checker all star team in a Fla. based tourney. PG has Lamberti listed as a UMass commit. Has he changed his mind?

I had not seen anything or heard anything around the ball fields about him changing his mind over the summer/fall ball. PG has typos all over the place.

Reaction Score
According to this mornings Meriden newspaper, Joe Rivera a RHP from Southington comitted yesterday. He's been clocked @ 91MPH and was the most valuable pitcher in the CT vs MA junior all star game. His HS coach says MLB scouts are looking at him. He pitches tonite for Southington's American legion team vs Avon. Usually the Courant
reports these scores.

CTHSSports
12:22pm via Web
Southington pitcher/outfielder Joe Rivera to sign letter of intent with UConn Wednesday at Southington athletic office 5:30 p.m

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had not seen anything or heard anything around the ball fields about him changing his mind over the summer/fall ball. PG has typos all over the place.
Channel 8 reported, last night, that Lamberti did indeed sign with UConn. Todays NH Register had a picture of Lamberti with his family with the UConn LOI.
PG Crosschecker does make mistakes. Last spring they reported that Zack Kesterton, then a soph, a P/SS from the Utica NY area committed to UConn. Now a junior, and highly regarded, they have him going to Duke. Who knows, perhaps this kid had a change of heart. Or, it's another PG mistake.

Reaction Score
Channel 8 reported, last night, that Lamberti did indeed sign with UConn. Todays NH Register had a picture of Lamberti with his family with the UConn LOI.
PG Crosschecker does make mistakes. Last spring they reported that Zack Kesterton, then a soph, a P/SS from the Utica NY area committed to UConn. Now a junior, and highly regarded, they have him going to Duke. Who knows, perhaps this kid had a change of heart. Or, it's another PG mistake.

I was just getting ready to post this... good deal.

Reaction Score
Here's another 2015 recruit according to PG Crosschecker. He's P.J. Poulin a 6'0" LHP from Tabor Acad. in MA. He was clocked at 86MPH in Aug. He hopefully should increase that by 2-3MPH by the time he gets to Storrs.

Reaction Score
ANOTHER 2015 recruit is Steven Heinrich a 6'1" 147lb. LHP from Lagrangeville NY (Poughkeepsie area) He's a little light but has 2 years to put some beef on. Penders obviously sees something in him.
As far as I know there's 4 kids already committed for 2015.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Hate that there are no good free baseball recruiting websites
Are there any pay sites and could the boneyard pony up via Paypal to get someone access? Just wondering. I'd donate if it would help get good info.

Reaction Score
Nice article about two incoming UConn Commits from CT:

Northwestern’s Risedorf and Housatonic’s Yahn give back after once in a lifetime trip
http://www.gametimect.com/northwesterns-risedorf-housatonics-yahn-give-back-lifetime-trip/

Risedorf's page from the 2014 Power Showcase: http://www.power-showcase.com/2014-...th-annual-line-up-2/connecticut-zach-risedorf (Award Winner:Longest Distance Wood Bat Home Run – 393ft)

Yahn's page from the 2014 Power Showcase: http://www.power-showcase.com/2014-...l-2/8th-annual-line-up/connecticut-willy-yahn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Housatonic Regional has a unique history in H.S. baseball. Many years ago Steve Blass played there and went on to become the MVP of a world series in the early 70's. Shortly after, Tom Parsons graduated from Housatonic and ended up pitching a few seasons in the majors.
These two were followed by 2 brothers with the last name of Lamb. Both of these two made it to the high minors. I do believe one of the Lamb bros. had a "cup of coffee" in the majors .
That was many years ago, but, for a small rural town of Falls Village, tucked in the Northwest hills of Litchfield county, that was pretty impressive. Hopefully, Mr. Yahn can resume this tradition.
Also, it seems like Risedorf has serious pop in his bat. 435ft HR with a metal bat along with 393 ft. with a wooden bat is tremendous at the H.S. level.

Reaction Score
jtoppa
Officially committed to play baseball at UConn #Huskies #2019

John Toppa (Class of 2015?) - 16 y/o 5-8 165lb IF from Bishop Hendricken High School in RI.

First Team - 2013 Providence Journal Baseball All-State team -- "Toppa not only became a starter in his first year of varsity competition, but he was a star. A few weeks into season, he became the No. 3 hitter in the Hendricken lineup and his offensive production played a major role in the Hawks' drive to the Division I state title. He hit .429 with a slugging percentage of .675 and an on-base percentage of .522. He scored 23 runs and had 28 RBI."

http://www.newportri.com/features/s...cle_8f8ea346-5fe6-549b-8557-72a1feb765ef.html

Nice article about 2016 commit John Toppa (5-11 190lb) from RI's Bishop Hendricken:

http://www.newportri.com/newportdai...cle_e33a9152-4249-529a-a4bb-5d28f8e264a0.html

>>While football is in his blood, baseball is the sport that captured his heart. The Bishop Hendricken High School junior outfielder won’t follow in the footsteps of his grandfather and his father, both of whom played football at Boston College, but rather has given a verbal commitment to play baseball at the University of Connecticut.<<

>>“When I spoke to Coach Penders a couple of weeks ago, he loves John,” Hendricken baseball coach Ed Holloway said. “He thought he was one of the better kids he’d seen in the high school ranks in his class. I know UConn really liked the way he swung the bat, and John’s an athletic kid for a big kid.”

The feeling, it seems, was mutual. Toppa, who is 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, and his father visited a number of schools in North Carolina — Elon University, N.C. State, the University of North Carolina and Duke — on unofficial visits, but they weren’t as appealing as the campus in Storrs, Conn.<<

He will be a junior this year so I'm figuring he's a 2016.

Reaction Score
A Summer to remember for Gorgas - http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9130 - Gonna be a miracle to get MG on campus.

"Performing at such a high level in an international setting, as well as in the elite national spotlight, the once well-kept secret from Connecticut may be faced with the fortunate situation of deciding between beginning his journey to Major League Baseball in June or suiting up for the UConn Huskies.

“Right now, I’m trying to focus on school and graduate first and whatever happens, happens,” Gorgas said when asked which path he would likely choose if presented the option. “If somebody sees something good in me and they want to take me I’d be happy to go (professional).”

KendallRogersPG
4:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn commit @JBrownPG: Fun watching progression of 2014 RHP Marvin Gorgas since spring. Better velo, command, & better SL #PGTourney

In his first innging Gorgas touched a 94, sitting 90/91 mph with a 84/86 2 seam and a tight 78/80 SL w hard, late break #PGTourney

After a long layoff between his 2nd &3rd, Gorgas comes back stronger, sitting 91/92 and painting outer half. Legit 2-seam at 85 #PGTourney

JonesCcj9:43am via Twitter for Android
UConn baseball commit Marvin Gorgas listed as 153rd top mlb prospect among hs and college players according to
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/2/7/5387356/mlb-draft-top-300-prospects-2014

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom