Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Polls are nice but now it is about no slip ups. If we host great, that is the cherry on the cake. First is getting in, then worry about hosting. If we don't get that 3rd starter spot fixed, that might be the proverbial chink in the armor. Cooke and or Sullivan have a lot more in them than we have seen this year. I hope Coach Mac can get them over the hump to help on the bump!!

Reaction Score
Yes but I will say Baseball America seems to always be the lowest (higher? worst?) of our rankings. I like to just blend the polls together since there always seems to be a wide spread.

Southern based, northern teams can't possibly be that good attitude that never changes despite the favorable notes they write about us

Reaction Score
We’re getting to a point where a world that includes both us and BCU hosting is feasible. Will the committee do it, put even a single host in New England, let alone two? I have my doubts. Probably more important the 7th-best SEC team like a Tennessee or A&M gets to host again.

Reaction Score
Southern based, northern teams can't possibly be that good attitude that never changes despite the favorable notes they write about us
Honestly I don't think the ranking is unfair. 24 seems closer to reality than 10 based on the body of work this season. I am hoping that the rest of the season justifies a move upward but where they are now is fine with me.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think the ranking is unfair. 24 seems closer to reality than 10 based on the body of work this season. I am hoping that the rest of the season justifies a move upward but where they are now is fine with me.
I agree that 24 seems more reasonable than 10. UConn hasn't shown the pitching depth to be a top 10 team right now as shown by the mid-week blow outs to Columbia and Northeastern. Also hard to give a high rank to a team that is not currently in 1st palce in the BE. Now is the time to string together a nice win streak with weaker mid-week games and a softer stretch in the BE. Pitching depth is what is needed to get through a regional and the next three weeks before the Creighton series on the road will be the opportunity to get the pitching issues straightened out.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We are not a top 10 calibur team right now. I think we all know that.

Looking around CBB, there are several top teams (USCe, UK, LSU, Wake) and not a whole lot else. We could hypothetically beat anyone other than those 4 in a series, but we could also lose a series to anyone in the top 25.

Reaction Score
UConn #10 in D1Baseball/NCAA Too 25:

UConn @#24 In Baseball America Top 25:

24 Connecticut - Big East
Previous ranking:
No. 23
Last Week: 3-2
Overall: 29-11, 6-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 8-0-2
Results
April 18:
Northeastern: L 12-3
April 19: @ Boston College: W 12-1 (7)
April 21-22: Georgetown: W 12-5, W 6-3, L 6-2
Upcoming
April 25:
Yale
April 26: Brown
April 28-30: @ Villanova

After a run-rule midweek win at Boston College, UConn stayed undefeated in weekend series by taking two games from Georgetown. UConn has put together an impressive resume to this point and with a top-15 RPI, the Huskies are squarely in the hosting conversation. It is a busy five-game week for UConn as it takes on Yale and Brown in midweek games before traveling to Villanova for a weekend series.

UConn up to #13 in the latest USA Today Coaches Poll:

Reaction Score
Is it normal for the two polls to be so different? 14 spots is a lot.

I've been following UConn baseball for a number of years now, and been checking out baseball polls for about the same amount of time. From what I have seen, there has always been quite a bit of difference in all the polls, and not just with UConn involved. A team can be doing very well in a poll or two, and barely register on some of the others. It's kind of the nature of college baseball and baseball itself, where it is hardly a surprise to have very good teams losing games to less then good teams on a somewhat regular basis.

Reaction Score
I've been following UConn baseball for a number of years now, and been checking out baseball polls for about the same amount of time. From what I have seen, there has always been quite a bit of difference in all the polls, and not just with UConn involved. A team can be doing very well in a poll or two, and barely register on some of the others. It's kind of the nature of college baseball and baseball itself, where it is hardly a surprise to have very good teams losing games to less then good teams on a somewhat regular basis.
Yes, agree. I'm not a huge poll guy for baseball but if it did mean a lot to me I would say they are closer to #24 than they are to #10. The pitching is just not consistent enough and too big of a question mark. Also Huber injury doesn't help. Have to wait for MRI but I am not optimistic as it appears to be the foot (which can be structural). Also during Game 1 of DH on Uconn+ Coach Podeszwa was sort of consoling Huber at the end of the dugout. You normally don't do that with a pulled muscle. Again my opinion only it's not fact. If this turns out to be a longer-term issue they need to quickly figure out if Dalena is the answer given the depth they have on the bench. Personally, I would rather have a plug-and-play solution than musical chairs but that's just my preference doesn't mean it's the right approach. They need to be confident in Dalena when BE tourney and NCAA tournament (hopefully) roll around.

Reaction Score
Yes, agree. I'm not a huge poll guy for baseball but if it did mean a lot to me I would say they are closer to #24 than they are to #10. The pitching is just not consistent enough and too big of a question mark. Also Huber injury doesn't help. Have to wait for MRI but I am not optimistic as it appears to be the foot (which can be structural). Also during Game 1 of DH on Uconn+ Coach Podeszwa was sort of consoling Huber at the end of the dugout. You normally don't do that with a pulled muscle. Again my opinion only it's not fact. If this turns out to be a longer-term issue they need to quickly figure out if Dalena is the answer given the depth they have on the bench. Personally, I would rather have a plug-and-play solution than musical chairs but that's just my preference doesn't mean it's the right approach. They need to be confident in Dalena when BE tourney and NCAA tournament (hopefully) roll around.

First obviously they have to figure out how long Huber might be out and not able to play.

From what I saw during fall ball, the main back up options for Huber at 1B are Dalena and Broadhurst. Dalena is a lefty bat, and Broadhurst a righty hitter, so it Dalena does not work out, Broadhurst could see playing time at 1B, or they could also be platooned there. It seems to me that the coaching staff is very high on Dalena's potential and he definitely looked good to me during fall ball. Obviously, Dalena is going to have to produce with the bat, but considering the upcoming schedule is a bit weaker than what UConn has been playing, it might be a good week to give him a run at 1B if Huber is not available to play.

Reaction Score
I agree that 24 seems more reasonable than 10. UConn hasn't shown the pitching depth to be a top 10 team right now as shown by the mid-week blow outs to Columbia and Northeastern. Also hard to give a high rank to a team that is not currently in 1st palce in the BE. Now is the time to string together a nice win streak with weaker mid-week games and a softer stretch in the BE. Pitching depth is what is needed to get through a regional and the next three weeks before the Creighton series on the road will be the opportunity to get the pitching issues straightened out.
Agree with the pitching depth comment, but not the Big East comment. We-re 6-3 in league. How in the world are we worse because a team we beat 2 out of 3 happened to have gone 6-0 against dreck?

Come back to me if we don't win the Big East over the course of a full 21 game schedule.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Agree with the pitching depth comment, but not the Big East comment. We-re 6-3 in league. How in the world are we worse because a team we beat 2 out of 3 happened to have gone 6-0 against dreck?

Come back to me if we don't win the Big East over the course of a full 21 game schedule.
Would someone who thinks they are better be a dreckishe cup?

Reaction Score
I think Dalena at first and get him ready for Big East Tournament. Give him patience to get adjusted and settle in and he should be good. He has one month to get prepared and get his timing.

Reaction Score
Also would not surprise me to see Simmons get some playing time in CF in the coming weeks to get him tuned up as well. He is UConn's best defensive outfielder, and can provide solid offensive play as well. If Huber is out for a little time, there could be some interesting adjustments to the lineup.

Reaction Score
We’re getting to a point where a world that includes both us and BCU hosting is feasible. Will the committee do it, put even a single host in New England, let alone two? I have my doubts. Probably more important the 7th-best SEC team like a Tennessee or A&M gets to host again.

I understand your sentiments and, yes, BA is based in North Carolina and can be suspected of a Southern bias.

However, there is justification based on tournament play. The 7th best SEC team DID win the CWS last year. Half of the past 14 years of CWS have been won by SEC teams. 9 of the runners up have been from the SEC. Okay, I anticipate your counter will be that they got there through home town games Counter-counter is you gotta win in Omaha too.

Anyway, congrats on making it to the Top 10. I hope you get a regional and hope you do NOT play in a Columbia Regional.

Good luck for the remainder unless we get matched up.

Ole Miss (42-23)Mike Bianco4-2Oklahoma
Mississippi State (50-18)Chris Lemonis9-0Vanderbilt
Canceled due to Covid-19------
Vanderbilt (59-12)Tim Corbin8-2Michigan
Oregon State (55-12-1)Pat Casey5-0Arkansas
Florida (52-19)Kevin O'Sullivan6-1LSU
Coastal Carolina (55-18) Gary Gilmore4-3Arizona
Virginia (44-24)Brian O'Connor4-2Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt (51-21)Tim Corbin3-2Virginia
* UCLA (49-17)John Savage8-0Mississippi State
* Arizona (48-17)Andy Lopez4-1South Carolina
* South Carolina (55-14)Ray Tanner5-2Florida
South Carolina (54-16)Ray Tanner2-1 (11 inn.)UCLA
LSU (56-17)Paul Mainieri11-4Texas

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I understand your sentiments and, yes, BA is based in North Carolina and can be suspected of a Southern bias.

However, there is justification based on tournament play. The 7th best SEC team DID win the CWS last year. Half of the past 14 years of CWS have been won by SEC teams. 9 of the runners up have been from the SEC. Okay, I anticipate your counter will be that they got there through home town games Counter-counter is you gotta win in Omaha too.

Anyway, congrats on making it to the Top 10. I hope you get a regional and hope you do NOT play in a Columbia Regional.

Coastal Carolina (55-18)Gary Gilmore4-3Arizona

Coastal Carolina (55-18)Gary Gilmore4-3Arizona

I think this board understands how tough the SEC is. The logic here is that it’d be nice for new england teams to host if they earn it, to try and grow the game. UConn and BC are both regularly drawing over 1,000 to weekend games now - small potatoes compared to, say, Baton Rouge, but dramatic improvement compared to the past (even when both teams are good).

I would love to go back to Columbia. Not because I would be confident we would win (we are not great on the mound this year) but last time was a blast. You’re welcome for what we did to clemson, I still don’t think they have recovered, lol.

Reaction Score
UConn up to #13 in the latest USA Today Coaches Poll:

UConn @ #14 in this week’s National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Poll:

Reaction Score
I think this board understands how tough the SEC is. The logic here is that it’d be nice for new england teams to host if they earn it, to try and grow the game. UConn and BC are both regularly drawing over 1,000 to weekend games now - small potatoes compared to, say, Baton Rouge, but dramatic improvement compared to the past (even when both teams are good).

I would love to go back to Columbia. Not because I would be confident we would win (we are not great on the mound this year) but last time was a blast. You’re welcome for what we did to clemson, I still don’t think they have recovered, lol.
I still cannot look at Garnet and Black without a pit forming in my stomach from 2011.

Reaction Score
I still cannot look at Garnet and Black without a pit forming in my stomach from 2011.
Three straight inning-ending double plays felt great from our perspective but had to suck for y'all - but that's what our team did that year. Take Florida in the CWS Championship. Bases loaded, No outs. Two grounders. Threw guy out at home on the first; then double play to kill the threat.

Reaction Score
We are not a top 10 calibur team right now. I think we all know that.

Looking around CBB, there are several top teams (USCe, UK, LSU, Wake) and not a whole lot else. We could hypothetically beat anyone other than those 4 in a series, but we could also lose a series to anyone in the top 25.
What is the consensus on here? I know we all would like to host a regional, but if we do, more than likely we are in the 14-16 range which would mean a matchup in the Supers against one of those 3 you note as being a notch above the field. Or would we rather be in the mid 2 range and challenge the others and avoid those top 3 before the CWS? I imagine everyone would want that chance to host regardless of possible matchups.

Reaction Score
What is the consensus on here? I know we all would like to host a regional, but if we do, more than likely we are in the 14-16 range which would mean a matchup in the Supers against one of those 3 you note as being a notch above the field. Or would we rather be in the mid 2 range and challenge the others and avoid those top 3 before the CWS? I imagine everyone would want that chance to host regardless of possible matchups.
First, many would like to see a NCAA tourney game in person. Second, this isn’t UConn basketball. We will take advantages to get to a Super Regional before I worry about who we face when we get there.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Definitely host, winning a regional on our home turf would boost our already strong local recruiting ties and would be great for the fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom