UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
I'd like a post player addition to give us attributes different from what we expect from Johnson & Singare. Ideally strength to defend power bigs, and/or shooting to stretch the floor. I'm not aboard the 'Big Cliff' train. So far the Stanford center or a player like Yale's Wolf if he enters.

If Diarra returns, Diarra, Ball, Nowell, needs a big shooting guard or 2 to match up with bigger guard tandems. I'd love to invest in Gavin Griffiths who sees himself as a guard, or Stojakovic. I actually think Roumoglou has the same potential, but let the cream rise to the top.

Stephon Castle is demonstrating Lyman Depriest defensive ability to be a real stopper. Give me another guy that can defend the perimeter and post up like that. Depriest was effective against Shaq when we played LSU, and was a total defensive stopper against small guard (Dana Barros?) in the second half after he went off in the first half against us in the (NIT?) Castle is the first guy in 35-40 years that I would even compare to Lyman in terms of defensive versatility and effectiveness.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
sorry, pass. we can do better.. this kid'll find a home & be productive. that shooting % scares me for what we need next year (in the event the NCAA doesn't change their stance on CS).. With Diarra, Nowell, Solo we have a strong back court but another shooter, even as a 6th or 7th man, at @ 6'3"-6'7" would be ideal.

Reaction Score
they still produce deliver more impact NBA players than any other school

FIFY

They aren't producing or developing any NBA players. They are a stopover for elite NBA talent.

There is a big difference. And I think the Kentucky fans are at their tipping point now. My guess is that they pivot at Kentucky and shift the $5MM they spend on 5 elite HS recruits to $2MM for 2-3 elite HS recruits and $3MM for 2-3 of the top transfer portal talent.
I predict Calipari will up his cheating, but in today's NIL and portal world, I'm not sure exactly what that entails. Maybe tampering. He's desperate to win.

Reaction Score
Hard for me to get past how terrible I remember him being at Providence even as a junior. He was unplayable. That and he wasn't a starter in the MAAC as a 5th year...

Did not realize/remember how bad he was. But I would definitely love a pure shooter added to the mix. Matt Allocco of Princeton is reportedly visiting SUNJ today. Maybe he could be a fit.

Reaction Score
Any Eddie Lampkin interest? He just entered the portal again

Reaction Score
sorry, pass. we can do better.. this kid'll find a home & be productive. that shooting % scares me for what we need next year (in the event the NCAA doesn't change their stance on CS).. With Diarra, Nowell, Solo we have a strong back court but another shooter, even as a 6th or 7th man, at @ 6'3"-6'7" would be ideal.

who are you referring to?

Reaction Score
Rutgers fans claim we have dropped the bag for Griffiths. Just like Villanova fans claim we dropped a bag for Mark Armstrong. I do not believe either, but would love to pick up Gavin. I don’t think Steve Pikiell benefited his development.
Having every commentator swoon over our offense especially during MM can’t be bad for recruiting shooters. Coupled with Cam’s exploits, we should be a destination for any offensive player

Reaction Score
I predict Calipari will up his cheating, but in today's NIL and portal world, I'm not sure exactly what that entails. Maybe tampering. He's desperate to win.

Think Pitino at louisville for desparate ideas.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Talent acqusition isn't the problem there and correcting the problem will most likely require a change in leadership.

From day one at UK he was able to land as much or more talent as anyone (shy UCLA for thier stretch) ever had. To continue it he built an environment where the "stars" were continually showcased, leading to more talented kids wanting to be part of that scene.

It has reached the point where attempting to build a team first philosophy, an attitude where getting the W is more important to the entirety of the roster than getting a good stat line is nearly impossible. Where putting in the effort on defense, for loose balls, for critical rebounds becomes quite a bit for the staff to ask.

Being the spin master that he has always been, he has publicly excused lack of tournament results with the "but we've put so many into the NBA and that is more important to the kid's future" while ignoring the fact that nearly all of them could have gone to a D-3 school for a year and still been drafted where they were drafted.

I really don't see how he can fix this, which is why I enjoy the idea that they cannot get rid if him.

Reaction Score
Mod edit: learn to swap x.com with Twitter.com
Can we pin a twitter embed tutorial post at the top here? It's so easy. Would be so much better for everyone to not have to click on the links. I notice that even people who post here a lot don't seem to know how to do this.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Tucker DeVries would fit perfectly.

Reaction Score
I'd like a post player addition to give us attributes different from what we expect from Johnson & Singare. Ideally strength to defend power bigs, and/or shooting to stretch the floor. I'm not aboard the 'Big Cliff' train. So far the Stanford center or a player like Yale's Wolf if he enters.

If Diarra returns, Diarra, Ball, Nowell, needs a big shooting guard or 2 to match up with bigger guard tandems. I'd love to invest in Gavin Griffiths who sees himself as a guard, or Stojakovic. I actually think Roumoglou has the same potential, but let the cream rise to the top.

Stephon Castle is demonstrating Lyman Depriest defensive ability to be a real stopper. Give me another guy that can defend the perimeter and post up like that. Depriest was effective against Shaq when we played LSU, and was a total defensive stopper against small guard (Dana Barros?) in the second half after he went off in the first half against us in the (NIT?) Castle is the first guy in 35-40 years that I would even compare to Lyman in terms of defensive versatility and effectiveness.
Good summary, now stop resting on your laurels and get to work on finding us another Karaban.............or two!

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie thinks we should be in on Gibson Jimerson from Saint Louis

Ht: 6-5 Wt: 215

Jimerson has seemingly been around forever, but he was a medical redshirt for the 2019-20 season and was then granted an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so his eligibility didn’t begin ticking until his “junior” season in 2021-22. Because of that — and the Billikens firing head coach Travis Ford — Jimerson, one of the country’s best shooters, is available for the taking. He’s averaged 15.4 points per game over the last three seasons at Saint Louis and has earned All-Atlantic-10 honors each season.

Jimerson has made 39.5 percent of his nearly 800 3-point attempts as a collegiate, and to say his shot diet was difficult is an understatement. His form is about as simple as it gets, with a pristine release out of a set shot that, frankly, you’re surprised ever misses. He’s a threat in transition as a trailer and when spotting up and out of relocations, with range extending far beyond the NBA 3-point line. But he did most of his damage running through a bevy of pindown, flare and baseline off-ball screens designed to get him open to fire. His shot motion is versatile enough to function using different forms of footwork. Over the years, he’s grown more adept at using the threat of his shot to attack the rim.

Any program whose offensive scheme features lots of off-ball movement to generate 3s should call Jimerson. Connecticut, in particular, should be calling him off the hook. — Sam Vecenie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom