UConn AD Warde Manuel: No Doubt Calhoun Coming Back | The Boneyard

UConn AD Warde Manuel: No Doubt Calhoun Coming Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never understood why Calhoun is required to announce to the media whether or not he's coming back every year. Does Coach K hold a presser to say he's returning to Dook or JB at Cuse? Should I send an email to my employer every year to let them know I intend to return to work for another year?

Reaction Score
I never understood why Calhoun is required to announce to the media whether or not he's coming back every year. Does Coach K hold a presser to say he's returning to Dook or JB at Cuse? Should I send an email to my employer every year to let them know I intend to return to work for another year?
I know what you're saying, but given Calhoun's myriad of health issues combined with his age and other factors such as NCAA sanctions, it's not exactly outlandish to ask for some reassurance that he will indeed return. A simple "yes, I'm coming back" would instantly kill the story and we wouldn't even be talking about this. I know Coach is a stubborn and proud man, but is that really so much to ask for?

Reaction Score
Well in fairness to everyone wondering, JC himself set this up by telling everyone just after UConn's season ended that he would announce his plans for coaching next season right after the National Championship game. Remember that?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Oh no, this thread is not going to turn into another debate on if/when Calhoun announces his retirement

Reaction Score
Not exactly a blockbuster article but Manuel mentioned that it won't be an automatic handover to KO without comparison to others available.

Reaction Score
JC has to do it because of his age, health issues, and the fact that the kids who come to UConn want to know who their coach is going to be. It's a weird and awkward situation, but it is reality.

Reaction Score
My main issue isn't that the media brings it up -- it's basically their job to ask these questions.

My issue is with Calhoun seemingly milking the topic. There is every incentive in the world for him to come out and say "Enough with the rumors. I'm coming back unless I explicitly say otherwise."

And yet he constantly plays coy about it. And it's hurting the program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well in fairness to everyone wondering, JC himself set this up by telling everyone just after UConn's season ended that he would announce his plans for coaching next season right after the National Championship game. Remember that?

Exactly, JC himself has made this an ongoing issue.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"I've grown to love Jim, in getting to know him." I'm almost surprised JJ left that statement in

Reaction Score
Not exactly a blockbuster article but Manuel mentioned that it won't be an automatic handover to KO without comparison to others available.
Just a hypothetical but what if Calhoun was indeed holding out to try and get Ollie named as coach-in-waiting? This situation would then imply that he actually lost that battle. If that is the case I would expect Calhoun to announce he is leaving very soon after the end of next season. If he left now, Ollie could get booted out by the next coach, if it wasn't him. At this point in time there aren't any other attractive open positions for a head coach and he also probably would not be able to get another assistant job. If the change is made early, UConn can make its decision on Ollie or the next coach in plenty of time for Ollie to then apply for a head coaching position elsewhere. By waiting a year, Calhoun carries the team through this one year ban and helps out Ollie. But this is all purely speculation. The fact that we do know is that Ollie won't be handed the job and I am happy about that. If he gets the position some day and turns out to be a great coach, I will admit my doubts were unfounded. Until then, I have my doubts and think we should go with a proven head coach from a low-to-mid major.

Reaction Score

I think we need to post the answer to this atop this board. I'm so tired of explaining why he needs to announce his intentions for the upcoming season, and doing so as close to the end of the NCAA tournament championship game as possible.

The reason why is he's the one who set the precedent last year (maybe even two years ago) saying he would take some time before deciding if he was going to continue to coach. He did it again at the end of this season, saying he would decide sooner than he did last summer, but again failed to make that clear.

As Fishy has pointed out numerous times, there does not seem to be any upside for JC leaving people guessing, especially recruits.

Now if he had never done that, then I would agree that he would owe no one an answer to the question of him returning or not, leaving the expectation that he plans on honoring his contract until the time he decides otherwise. JC is the one and the only who is responsible for this uncertainty regardless to the age and health concerns that people might have.

So please, can we all stop asking why he should announce his decision to return or not, making it crystal clear and as early as possible? He's earned the right to take a few weeks after the season, but anything more than that only causes more harm than help.

Reaction Score
Because he always says that he has evaluate things so everyone waits around for him to evaluate and announce a decision. This is all on JC. Other coaches don't pull this crap on an annual basis.
Coach K never says he isn't coming back or hints that he won't return. And if you told your boss that you are returning for another year he might say that he had a shorter term in mind so don't email him.

Reaction Score
I think we need to post the answer to this atop this board. I'm so tired of explaining why he needs to announce his intentions for the upcoming season, and doing so as close to the end of the NCAA tournament championship game as possible.

The reason why is he's the one who set the precedent last year (maybe even two years ago) saying he would take some time before deciding if he was going to continue to coach. He did it again at the end of this season, saying he would decide sooner than he did last summer, but again failed to make that clear.

As Fishy has pointed out numerous times, there does not seem to be any upside for JC leaving people guessing, especially recruits.

Now if he had never done that, then I would agree that he would owe no one an answer to the question of him returning or not, leaving the expectation that he plans on honoring his contract until the time he decides otherwise. JC is the one and the only who is responsible for this uncertainty regardless to the age and health concerns that people might have.

So please, can we all stop asking why he should announce his decision to return or not, making it crystal clear and as early as possible? He's earned the right to take a few weeks after the season, but anything more than that only causes more harm than help.

The only harm this program has suffered is the retro bulls**t APR punishment. Our last few recruiting classes have been stellar and we have guys being drafted top 10 every year! We are banned from the postseason next year and still have a top 30 player committed and not wavering (state POY in New York)! JC is letting the players know whats going on, believe me.

Btw: he made no announcement last year that he was coming back. If he hasn't made an announcement there is a reason for it, and I believe he knows the situation better than you or I. UConn's PR department is deplorable at best I agree on that

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
JC is certainly wise enough by now to know not to leave a recruit uncertain, especially when you know your presence could be a major factor in a recruit's decision. While WE may not be hearing form him, that doesn't mean the people who NEED to know (recruits, staff, important AD people) are being inexplicably left in the dark. The recruits, if anybody, know JC's plans. That's the end of the debate.

Reaction Score
You have an issue with hiring the coaches from VCU or Butler, for example? Wasn't Calhoun a proven coach from a low-major?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Manuel is turning into a catastrophically bad AD. He is going to destroy the basketball program unless he backs down to Calhoun on this issue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He is trying to keep Calhoun from destroying the program.

If Manuel isn't going to have the balls to fire Calhoun and bring in a new coach now, then he has to take responsibility for the fact that recruiting is going to fall off a cliff.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If Manuel isn't going to have the balls to fire Calhoun and bring in a new coach now, then he has to take responsibility for the fact that recruiting is going to fall off a cliff.
From what we've heard about KO for about a year now, it would be ridiculous at this point to assert that "recruiting is going to fall off a cliff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom