UConn 77 ND 67 | The Boneyard

UConn 77 ND 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When the going gets tuff the tuff get going. Barring injuries and alot of foul trouble UConn wins this game by 10. What happened in game 1 will not happen tonite. ND has no answer for Stef and KML. Not many teams do. Both should have a big nite tonite. If we play our game ND can not beat us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND 74
UCONN 68

Senior night at ND, their guards are much better scorers than ours at the moment (Diggins/McBride vs. Doty/Hartley), it's AT ND, and UCONN basically only has 2 players who can score at least 10-15 consistently. I hope Tony's right and I'm wrong!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I see this as a must-win game for Uconn. If the Huskies don't bring it tonight, I'm going to be pretty disappointed in everyone involved.

72-67 UConn.

Reaction Score
Defense will likely be the key.

In the 5 games that UConn has lost, it has averaged 65 pts (in regulation). In the game it won, it scored 63. So offense wasn't the issue.
In contrast, ND has averaged 69 (in regulation) in its wins. But 54 in its loss.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Defense will likely be the key.

In the 5 games that UConn has lost, it has averaged 65 pts (in regulation). In the game it won, it scored 63. So offense wasn't the issue.
In contrast, ND has averaged 69 (in regulation) in its wins. But 54 in its loss.

I posted this in the other thread:

Against UConn in the first match-up ND made 25 FGs on 66 FGAs, for 37.9%. Against Baylor, ND made 25 FGs on 74 FGAs, for 35.7%. The difference in the two games defensively were 3-pointers -- ND shot 6-12 against UConn and 4-15 against Baylor -- and, of course, FTs. ND got to the line 24 times against UConn and made 17, while it only got to the line 11 times against Baylor.

Mabrey made three 3s against UConn and has made 13 against everybody else, including shooting 7-30 since the UConn game. She was left wide open twice on defensive mistakes and that can not happen again. I'm at a loss for what to say about the FTs other than don't foul. The more ND is forced to score by shooting jump shots, the better the chances of beating them.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
TONITE one of the guards has to take control of the offense. They have to be a leader and take charge of the tempo of the game. Bria Caroline and Moriah in that order. Breanna has to be a monster inside and forget about any shot outside the foul line unless time is running out. Pound it inside and be patient. High lows, Stef Breanna Kiah in the middle need alot of touchs every possession. Our inside game can beat NDs outside game. I expect our defense at an all time high and our focus has to be unmatched. I believe we can win this game big. Last time injuries and foul trouble hurt us in a one pt loss.

Reaction Score
ND 74
UCONN 68

Senior night at ND, their guards are much better scorers than ours at the moment (Diggins/McBride vs. Doty/Hartley), it's AT ND, and UCONN basically only has 2 players who can score at least 10-15 consistently. I hope Tony's right and I'm wrong!

Again - it is NOT senior night at ND. Their senior night was against Syracuse. It was changed on purpose.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All I can say is it's truly miraculous that UConn leads the nation in scoring.
Totally agree on that one. We all know we have players capable of having big nights. However, when Geno talks about consistency and knowing what you are getting from everyone, I think on the offensive side, the only 2 he KNOWS will score a bunch are KML and Dolson...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We have the better players, but we seem to play ND's game. I think we could and maybe should win by 15, but they are a confident, if not cocky, bunch. I think they win at the FT line as usual. Until we demonstrate that we can beat them, I'm skeptical, especially on the road. I really want UConn by 90-50, but I'm predicting ND by 75-70. I want to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Milhusky is right ! We ARE better on paper. I have said it before we must get our swagger back. It is time for a leader to emerge and say it stops now ! We have gotta go out there be physical but smart.
We need to take their crowd out from the start. It is time to show them who the boss is again.
A lot of the stars will get their points so someone else must step up. I believe that someone is Breanna Stewart. She has the ability to take over a game, and she can score in bunches quickly. She can also dominate the boards and block shots like no one else.
It is her time, and it is our turn !
GO UCONN GO !

Reaction Score
I'm assuming the core 6 tonight will be Bria-Faris-KML-Tuck-Stew-Dolson.

Bria needs to be under control
Faris needs to do a better job on McBride
Tuck needs to be a physical force
Stewart needs to play through the physicality
Dolson & KML need to not get into foul trouble

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet that Dee Kantner will be the Ref. And I'm not a betting man...

She reffed the Duke-UNC game yesterday.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Faris needs to do a better job on McBride

I know Faris took responsibility for not playing well defensively against McBride in the first match-up, but that was just Kelly being Kelly. McBride shot 10-21 and only 2 of her FGs were scored when Kelly was guarding her. Most of McBride's damage was done in transition which is why I mentioned the strategy of pressing ND (something Scotter raised with me) and allowing its guards to score in transition. The team needs to do a better job of trying to limit ND's ability to get its guards in the open court and force them to score in the half-court. It'll be interesting to see how Geno plays it tonight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ND 74
UCONN 68

Actually UCONN has basically 4 players who can score at 10-15 consistently. If one wants to actually look at stats for this year.

If UCONN wins it will be +10. If it's under 10 ND will win. No idea of the score. Depends a lot on the refs. They can let them play and the score will be in the 70-80's or they can slow it down and it could be in the 50-60's.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't surprise many, IMHO ND wins this game due to their home court advantage and anticipating a significant free throw disparity. Predicting a 5-10 point ND win.

Was looking at stats today and was surprised to see that Caroline has only shot 2 Free Throws all year. BTW that's the same number of attempts that Heather has with 12 less minutes played per game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Actually UCONN has basically 4 players who can score at 10-15 consistently. If one wants to actually look at stats for this year.

If UCONN wins it will be +10. If it's under 10 ND will win. No idea of the score. Depends a lot on the refs. They can let them play and the score will be in the 70-80's or they can slow it down and it could be in the 50-60's.

I believe that UConn has only 4 games where 2 or less players scored in double figures out of 28 games.

It's amazing how ONE game has so many convinced that UConn only has 2 scorers. Take a look at the Baylor box scores if you want to see a team that really has only 2 scorers for many games.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I find this game impossible to handicap; I just don't have a clue.
But: Whoever wins, will win even more convincingly in the Big East and NCAA's.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe that UConn has only 4 games where 2 or less players scored in double figures out of 28 games.

It's amazing how ONE game has so many convinced that UConn only has 2 scorers. Take a look at the Baylor box scores if you want to see a team that really has only 2 scorers for many games.
Personally I don't see a problem if we have Lewis and Dolson put up 32 and 25. If they do, I think we win. I'm betting we can get 25 points out of the other 7 players. That's like 4 points a player. Gives us 82 points. I'm betting that would win it for us.

Last ND game, we were 1 pt away from having 5 players score 10-17 pts, and we lost. Against Baylor same thing. 1 pt away from having 5 players in double figures. We lost. I say let a couple players go off for 25-30 pts for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom