UConn 2014-2015 Undefeated again | The Boneyard

UConn 2014-2015 Undefeated again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well the big question this season is who can come within double digits of UConn? Nobody should. The magic that Geno has is simple. He has implemented a system that is run on discipline, work ethic at practice and attitude. Understand one bad attitude can kill a team. Geno will not tolerate it especially with an incoming recruit. You wonder why some kids don't get offers or don't come here theres a possible answer.

I said is before UConn will not lose a game so long as Breanna Stewart is here. I hold to that along with no major injuries. Last seasons major contenders Duke UNC Stanford ND Baylor and LVille have lost key players who have not been replaced. UConn hasn't. Why hasn't UConn because Geno knows how to recruit and fill in the gaps needed to get the incoming players ready to replace those players leaving. In other words he has been able to maintain a nucleus of players who have his system down so that incoming players can fall into the system and execute the system without having to learn it on the go. A no pressure situation for them. IMO the biggest get for UConn in quite sometime is Natalie Butler. Natalie a transfer from GTown averaged a double double as a freshman and although she will sit out this season she will step up next season and at 6'5 she will maintain the middle. Without Natalie UConn would be looking at a post player approx. 6'3 and against top teams that may not be easy.

This season the question is by how much will UConn win. I don't see a team out there that can beat UConn. Don't get me wrong UConn could lose and imo that would only happen through major injuries or UConn completely falling apart. But I like our odds. Remember last season the major injuries in the most critical part of the schedule where UConn beat Stanford Penn St Maryland Duke Cal and Ohio St without a problem. That tells you how important team chemistry is and playing as a team is. No other team could've done that.

So let me get into this season. We know we have Stokes KML Tuck Stewart MoJeff and Chong all who will see a lot of playtime (PT) . With her experience I see Kia Nurse getting a lot of PT. Her international experience at the highest level is tuff to teach and she is a great play maker and ball handler. With KML and Breanna UConn has the best two scorers in WCBB let alone the best two players in WCBB. Bring in Stokes a terrific defensive post player who can block shots and rebound and who will score on this team along with Morgan Tuck who is finally ready to play some serious minutes and a former number 1 player in high school and there isn't a team in the country whos defense can match up with them. Don't forget Mojeff who was the number 2 player in her class and the engine that runs this UConn Machine.

The rest of the incoming class is great. Courtney Ekmark is a shooter. From what Ive been told by the AAU circuit a pure shooter. Everybody has said the best shooter they've seen. I expect Geno sees her as somebody who can open things up much like KML. Her knowledge and coaching makes her the kind of player that will be a UConn favorite.

I know some of you are thinking Gee UConn may go undefeated again . We wont know that until we see how these kids adapt to college ball but by all indications UConn will remain at the top of WCBB for a few more years.

Sadie Edwards is a slasher and maybe the second best defensive player on UConns roster. No wonder why shes at UConn. A CT product Sadie can turn games around much like MoJeff. Gabby Williams is a complete athlete. She can do it all. If she comes back from her injury expect her to see a lot of minutes. If she is healthy Gabby will have a special place on this team.

The Future at UConn is huge. I spoke about spacing of recruits. By spacing recruits I mean bringing in recruits to replace players who are in their junior and senior year. Well next season we have the number 1 player in the country coming in in Katie Lou Samuelson a terrific athlete and shooter along with DeJannae Boykin 6'2 and Napheesa Collier 6'1. All 3 top 10 players in their class. All three coming in as freshman who should be replacing our junior and senior class over the next two years. Next season Natalie Butler will be eligible to play. So UConns incoming class will be Butler 6'5 Samuleson 6'3 Boykin 6'2 and Collier 6'1. This is not rebuilding this is reloading as Geno has been able to maintain the teams nucleus. IMO these players are positioned to replace this years starters.

Once again we will have a bench that could be ranked in the top 10 inWCBB polls. Geno has rewritten the book on how to build a dynasty. The problem is opposing teams are so far behind him it will take years for them to catch up of hope her retires.

Hope to see you at Sunday exhibition game. Boneyard meeting before the game and at half time by section 217

Reaction Score
Tony, I share your optimism about UCONN being excellent this year and for a few more years thereafter. One of the keys I believe will be who becomes the leader, the one who can calm everyone in big situations and exude the confidence necessary to keep the team even keeled.

Reaction Score
Once again we will have a bench that could be ranked in the top 10 inWCBB polls. Geno has rewritten the book on how to build a dynasty. The problem is opposing teams are so far behind him it will take years for them to catch up of hope her retires.

upload_2014-10-26_15-41-26.png

Reaction Score
After seeing the headline of this post, I truly believed that I fell asleep in the woods one day and spent 5 months of my life that way. Can someone tell me who we beat in the NC game ?

Reaction Score
There are no givens. uConn's biggest weakness is lack of depth in the front court. In terms of size we have exactly three players: Breanna, Kiah and Morgan, who is coming off a serious injury. Yes, we won last year with just six players. However, our starting five was the best, and Kiah took off during the tournament. Don't sleep on Notre Dame or South Carolina. Had Mercedes Russell not gotten hurt, UT might have been there.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with Tony's assessment that UConn lost no key players. What Hartley and particularly Dolson brought to the table will not be easily replaced.I do however admire his enthusiasm.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, there are SOME givens. The Huskies have;
1) The best point guard in the country.
2) The best wing in the country
3) The best strong forward in the country.
4) The best defensive center in the country.
5) The best sixth man in the country (assuming Morgan doesn't start).
6) The best coach in the country.
7) A whole bench full of more than capable guards.
8) By far, the best defense in wcbb.
9) The winning habit and attitude, which is not something to be taken lightly.
10) The Boneyard, which as the season progresses, will be more than happy to point out any possible flaws before they have a chance to get out of hand.

It is possible that they could have an entire game like the first half in the NC game against Stanford, when everything inexplicably goes wrong at once. Or an opponent could mount a game like Louisville did against Baylor. Or even both of these things could happen at once. HOWEVER, this is highly unlikely. I think that it is much more likely that Tony is right, and nobody is going to come close. Even if we were to have a gawdawful night offensively, as one of the players remarked (Morgan, maybe?), "They can't win if they can't score." Fasten your seat belts, it is going to be one helluva ride!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
There are no givens. uConn's biggest weakness is lack of depth in the front court. In terms of size we have exactly three players: Breanna, Kiah and Morgan, who is coming off a serious injury. Yes, we won last year with just six players. However, our starting five was the best, and Kiah took off during the tournament. Don't sleep on Notre Dame or South Carolina. Had Mercedes Russell not gotten hurt, UT might have been there.
I don't know about that one... That loss to Vanderbilt last season told me all I needed to know about Tennessee, they have no clue how to use their size to their advantage. I thought they would be dangerous last year but they were merely luke warm.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is no team that is a threat to UConn this season. ND is good but not as good as the team we beat by 20+ either is Duke Stanford Baylor or MD. South Carolina is very talented and a top 2/3 team however they lost in the sweet 16 last season. Are they better this season they should be but theyre no where near UConns level right now. Could they be better in March..yes so will a lot of other teams including UConn lost Bria and Stef and replaced them with Kia and Chong/Nurse/Williams and Tuck is back as is a healthy KML. Don't forget last season UConn was without Tuck and KML for some time.

Those of you look at scoring or how tall a team is or their offense remember this it all starts with defense and when you have top players in WCBB at 3-4 positions and two who should be POY and a stifling defense how do you lose. Most top teams would love a go to player and UConn has 2-3 go to players. Breanna is a game changer. No other team has that. Last season UConn won every game by double digits. That's a lot to overcome for any team and then to say that team can over come double digits and beat UConn. Remember this is UConn not some shooting star team. UConn is a very powerful dynasty that continues to jump leaps and bounds over what they've already proven.

We are going to find out early this season when UConn travels to Stanford in 3 weeks how good they are and then over the next month or so UConn plays ND DePaul UCLA Duke and St johns All good tests before the conference begins.

Reaction Score
I agree with fact that UConn has no ostensible competition this year, and i hate saying that..... i try to be conservative.... but i think this year only we can beat ourselves...... major injury is the only thing which can bring us down..... we have too many weapons..... ND on 12/6 will be a test and i am interested to see how well SC will play us on 2/9 Go for #10!!! or "Hang Ten!!"

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Well the big question this season is who can come within double digits of UConn? Nobody should. The magic that Geno has is simple. He has implemented a system that is run on discipline, work ethic at practice and attitude. Understand one bad attitude can kill a team. Geno will not tolerate it especially with an incoming recruit. You wonder why some kids don't get offers or don't come here theres a possible answer.

I said is before UConn will not lose a game so long as Breanna Stewart is here. I hold to that along with no major injuries. Last seasons major contenders Duke UNC Stanford ND Baylor and LVille have lost key players who have not been replaced. UConn hasn't. Why hasn't UConn because Geno knows how to recruit and fill in the gaps needed to get the incoming players ready to replace those players leaving. In other words he has been able to maintain a nucleus of players who have his system down so that incoming players can fall into the system and execute the system without having to learn it on the go. A no pressure situation for them. IMO the biggest get for UConn in quite sometime is Natalie Butler. Natalie a transfer from GTown averaged a double double as a freshman and although she will sit out this season she will step up next season and at 6'5 she will maintain the middle. Without Natalie UConn would be looking at a post player approx. 6'3 and against top teams that may not be easy.

This season the question is by how much will UConn win. I don't see a team out there that can beat UConn. Don't get me wrong UConn could lose and imo that would only happen through major injuries or UConn completely falling apart. But I like our odds. Remember last season the major injuries in the most critical part of the schedule where UConn beat Stanford Penn St Maryland Duke Cal and Ohio St without a problem. That tells you how important team chemistry is and playing as a team is. No other team could've done that.

So let me get into this season. We know we have Stokes KML Tuck Stewart MoJeff and Chong all who will see a lot of playtime (PT) . With her experience I see Kia Nurse getting a lot of PT. Her international experience at the highest level is tuff to teach and she is a great play maker and ball handler. With KML and Breanna UConn has the best two scorers in WCBB let alone the best two players in WCBB. Bring in Stokes a terrific defensive post player who can block shots and rebound and who will score on this team along with Morgan Tuck who is finally ready to play some serious minutes and a former number 1 player in high school and there isn't a team in the country whos defense can match up with them. Don't forget Mojeff who was the number 2 player in her class and the engine that runs this UConn Machine.

The rest of the incoming class is great. Courtney Ekmark is a shooter. From what Ive been told by the AAU circuit a pure shooter. Everybody has said the best shooter they've seen. I expect Geno sees her as somebody who can open things up much like KML. Her knowledge and coaching makes her the kind of player that will be a UConn favorite.

I know some of you are thinking Gee UConn may go undefeated again . We wont know that until we see how these kids adapt to college ball but by all indications UConn will remain at the top of WCBB for a few more years.

Sadie Edwards is a slasher and maybe the second best defensive player on UConns roster. No wonder why shes at UConn. A CT product Sadie can turn games around much like MoJeff. Gabby Williams is a complete athlete. She can do it all. If she comes back from her injury expect her to see a lot of minutes. If she is healthy Gabby will have a special place on this team.

The Future at UConn is huge. I spoke about spacing of recruits. By spacing recruits I mean bringing in recruits to replace players who are in their junior and senior year. Well next season we have the number 1 player in the country coming in in Katie Lou Samuelson a terrific athlete and shooter along with DeJannae Boykin 6'2 and Napheesa Collier 6'1. All 3 top 10 players in their class. All three coming in as freshman who should be replacing our junior and senior class over the next two years. Next season Natalie Butler will be eligible to play. So UConns incoming class will be Butler 6'5 Samuleson 6'3 Boykin 6'2 and Collier 6'1. This is not rebuilding this is reloading as Geno has been able to maintain the teams nucleus. IMO these players are positioned to replace this years starters.

Hope to see you at Sunday exhibition game. Boneyard meeting before the game and at half time by section 217
Not sure I agree with Tony's assessment that UConn lost no key players. What Hartley and particularly Dolson brought to the table will not be easily replaced.I do however admire his enthusiasm.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Tony- you are the man!!!!! U r right on again with your entire analysis. I am not sure we going to be better than last year going into this season, but I think there is a possibility we will be as good or maybe even better by the end of the season. With all the young raw talent, Nurse looks to be a potential veteran this season. And if Morgan is healthy, I think she has the ability to have the offense run thru her like Dolson. And Morgan has a dead eye outside shot- right to the 3 pt line!
I'm excited!!!! Will visit you wack jobs during game 3 when I get back from So Carolina visit w/ my daughter! Go Huskies!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Agreeing with Tony about prospects for this year and looking down the pike, are we just too much better (let's consider just personnel)?

Forgetting this year for a sec, it would appear that next season, we'll be much stronger yet.
There's got to be a reaction/response from the rest of the community to do something…

If we go undefeated this year and start looking ahead to next year's lineup; no one really has a chance.'

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but we may be approaching a tipping point.
Our advantage just seems too great.

Reaction Score
I am usually a cautious person but when I coached HS Wrestling at East Lyme for 30 years, I always predicted the score of that day/night's match because I didn't like surprises. I honestly picked who would win or lose matches so I knew the outcome ahead of time. And I was usually right on!
When I look at UCONN's opponents this year, if we can remain sickness/injury free it's asking the impossible of opponents to make a 20 to 40 point turn-around to gain a victory! The thing that most non-UCONN fans forget is Geno fears losing, so he NEVER overlooks an opponent no matter who it is, 2-20 or 20-2 records, as Mulkey/Baylor did vs L'ville 2 years ago! And no one takes away an opponents strengths better than Geno! Nor is better at 1/2 time moves than Geno! Example: ND got beat by 21 last time so they have to come up with 22 points + hold UCONN under it's game average! Having lost Achonwa & McBride and having 1 legit Star in Loyd how is ND going to do that? MM will be crying she gets no respect from Geno! IMO she never was and never will be 1/2 the coach Geno is! The only thing that can hold the score down possibly is it is a December game and the UCONN players are not in the mid to end of season cohesive frame of mind with their team mates!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is no team that is a threat to UConn this season. ND is good but not as good
I don't think UCONN will be as good as last year's team either. At least offensively. Might be as good or better defensively.
But
Last season UConn won every game by double digits. That's a lot to overcome for any team and then to say that team can over come double digits and beat UConn.
I agree, those teams that might have improved from last year, SC, maybe TN, still have a lot of ground to make up. Don't think they can make up that much ground.

ND is good but not as good as the team we beat by 20+ either is Duke Stanford Baylor or MD. .
Gotta love Tonyisms. :D

HGN

Reaction Score
UConn indeed lost KEY players.........Don't ever underestimate the value of a 6'5 post with experience ; or the leadership value of a senior starting guard. ( a la... Caroline D.). And since we will not have that 6'5 presence in the middle or that senior guard leadership this year it will be missed. Not having that size in the middle also effects our team size and depth......UConn lost very valuable commodities.

With that said , the freshmen class provides depth. But NO experience or leadership. Nor does the incoming class provide the post size that was lost to graduation. Can UConn overcome what it lost , yes. But it won't be easy. Can we again go undefeated , yes . Do I think we will , No.

Can we again win the NC ? ABSOLUTELY.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kiah is the key-uh.

IMO, 2014-15 can be boiled down thusly.

And yes, we absolutely *did* lose a key player in Dolson. Any number of times last year, Geno observed that "[W]e just don't look that good when Stefanie isn't on the floor." And IIRC, a few of those times we were playing teams that were not top 20.

Bria was also key as a senior cog and the heart of the squad in many ways, but Dolson made the machinery work, day in and day out.

Does this mean that we can't win it all and/or be a truly great team without Stef? No, but it means that Kiah will have to expand her repertoire a bit and also give consistent production for 25+ mins, and more like 30+ mins in the few "big" games on the schedule, not to mention tournment time. I absolutely think she can do it. It's just that with every other piece of the puzzle (besides the second starting guard alongside Moriah), we will be fine if they just do what they have already done. (Although they'll probably do better.)

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
UConn indeed lost KEY players....Don't ever underestimate the value of a 6'5 post with experience ; or the leadership value of a senior starting guard. ( a la... Caroline D.). And since we will not have that 6'5 presence in the middle or that senior guard leadership this year it will be missed. Not having that size in the middle also effects our team size and depth.UConn lost very valuable commodities.

With that said , the freshmen class provides depth. But NO experience or leadership. Nor does the incoming class provide the post size that was lost to graduation. Can UConn overcome what it lost , yes. But it won't be easy. Can we again go undefeated , yes . Do I think we will , No.

Can we again win the NC ? ABSOLUTELY.
All great points-

Reaction Score
Like all of you, I will be pulling ardently for UConn in every game, and will be fairly devastated if they should blow one. But honestly, we can talk all we want about the two great players that were lost to graduation, yet the talent level on this team remains so clearly superior to that of any potential competitor...isn't it really hard to envision any scenario by which they'd get knocked off? Sure, it could happen, and might, but going into the season not only does Championship #10 seem like an inevitability but an undefeated season looms as a decidedly more likely possibility than any alternative. My question is, given this reality, and our mutual pro-UConn bias notwithstanding, wouldn't any of you prefer to enter this (or any)campaign with a bit more suspense in the offing?

Reaction Score
UCONN fans are the most demanding in WCBB ahead of TN, where a lot of their fans are delusional! I think it was 2002-2003, UCONN lost to 'Nova in Big East title game then ran the table in NCAA's for National Championship with one loss for the season. At the post season fan banquet CD was talking to a fan who said "You had a pretty good season!" And CD replied we won the National Championship! The fan came back with, Yes but you lost one game!"

HGN - - -You don't think UCONN will go undefeated! Even though it is possible, who do you think WILL or CAN beat UCONN on this years schedule?
As I stated in a previous post, any team UCONN beat last year has to make up 20+ points and hold UCONN UNDER their average points! If UCONN remains sickness/injury free they will be better defensively than last years record setting team and still average over 80+ points a game!
Of the toughest NEW opponents, SoCar has not proven they can beat a top ten opponent, let alone the National Champion team and UCLA is talented but very young, MN and/or Vanderbilt have some talented players but as teams are not competitive!
Please explain who you think can do the deed.

Reaction Score
What separates us from the rest of the field, night after night, is our defense. While everyone is prone to have an off night shooting-wise, defense is predicated on desire, attitude, and the willingness to put out the extra effort required to shut down your opponent. I just don't see this team having an off night defensively, as long at Geno is the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom