UCONN 2012 PREVIEW | The Boneyard

UCONN 2012 PREVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair assessment.

As with almost every magazine or article there are some typos and mistakes. I think they got the Oline wrong by not projecting Bennett as a starter at LT and got Masters and Friend mixed up too.

Otherwise, there wasn't anything written that we don't know already. The same knowns, hopes and anxieties.

For me, I'm most excited about the potential to see the passing game improve. When PP and GD came along, they promised a more vertical passing game. And, believe it or not, they delivered on that last season. The yards per catch and yards per attempt were the best we've seen in years. Yet we were still mediocre. A step up in play by the QB and the WR's as a group will make it even more exciting.

Secondly, I want to see if the defense can really improve the way many think it will. We were atrocious against the pass last year for a host of reasons. It appears the staff has players in place to mitigate those concerns. I have to take a wait and see approach. I'll believe it when I see it.

I completely expect this team to go bowling. The optimist in me sees 9+ wins, the realist sees 7 wins. I can't see this team winning less than 6.

Reaction Score
So in binary terms, if you have 101 QB's you have 0?
binary[ bahy-nuh-ree, -ner-ee ]
adjective
1. consisting of, indicating, or involving two.

I.e., two outcomes depending on that one variable.

Reaction Score
I see three primary questions for a good to great season:

1) QB - No reason to believe we won't be better. The most likely scenario is either a more experienced Johnny Mac or Whitmer wins out. If Whitmer is really the cool customer we saw in the spring game who sees the field far better than any of our other QBs, then the passing game and the offense have the chance to take a giant step foward.

2) OL - If Bennett can get and stay healthy than that's huge. Not only does that give us solid play at LT, but it gives us some breathing room with depth. If that's not the case we are within a single injury of playing smaller and young guys at tackle. That would not be good.

3) Safety - Jones and Brown are still pups, but they did get valuable playing time last season. I find Lee very promising. So, inspite of the youth there, we might be OK, but I think this group is really the lynchpin between a good and outstanding defense. Would love to see one of these kids also step up and be Dana Deleston nasty.

Reaction Score
Just a mediocre write up. This one is much better:

http://www.presnapread.com/no-72-connecticut/

BTW calling P's first season a colossal flop is way too harsh. The big wins over our rivals Cuse and Rutgers kept it from being that. Edsall had a colossal flop at Maryland. Two wins and 24 players leaving is a colossal flop. One coach had the ACC rookie of the year at QB, the other coach's best passer was a walk-on who hadn't played in a game in 4 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So in binary terms, if you have 101 QB's you have 0?
binary[ bahy-nuh-ree, -ner-ee ]
adjective
1. consisting of, indicating, or involving two.

I.e., two outcomes depending on that one variable.

Or this way.

Where binary is a number system that only uses values of 0 and 1 and where binary 101= 5 decimal.

http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/Courses/152/97F/Readings/student-binary

And where instead of the old adage of if you have 2 QB's you have 0, Uconn has 5 QB's who are being told they have a chance to start.

Reaction Score
Or this way.

Where binary is a number system that only uses values of 0 and 1 and where binary 101= 5 decimal.

http://www.math.grin.edu/~rebelsky/....[/quote] Ah now I got you, sorry long night...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BTW calling P's first season a colossal flop is way too harsh.

On the other hand, it can be seen as a compliment to the program. The guy had higher expectations.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That writeup sounds like it was written by a boneyarder (er, not that I mean that to be an insult).

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I believe Coach Day is going to make a difference with our QB's. Not naming a starter after the Spring game when one of our candidates wasn't able to play due to injury was the right thing to do. They are all young except J-Mac and this keeps them all working for that spot like it's theirs. Ten days into Fall practice we should get a starter named. On offense Mike Osiecki is going to be another option for us and watching the Spring game he should have a big impact. With our DE's and LB's we have the best group of pass rushers that I can remember. Our corners have seen it all by this time and our safeties have good size and got their feet wet last season. This is going to be a fun year. Cue up Welcome to the Jungle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom