UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article

Reaction Score
Schools choose different methods for reporting. You can list $$ spent on football while athletic dept employees (football coach salary) can fall under AD expenditures. Every school does it differently and the DOE is OK with that
It kind of makes all those charts pointless.

Reaction Score
I flew back to CT in early June and I don’t think I have ever seen Bradley so festooned with UConn stuff. It had to be for the visitors.
Nah. UConn is pretty hot right now in the state. It did have an issue post Calhoun and with Diaco, but Huskymania is back.

I think Dave learned to engage the fanbase more. They have new people on board.

Reaction Score
The timeline wasnt really September to November. That makes it sound like it was only an 8 week difference.

It was more like early August to mid November, which is closer to 16 weeks. And in that timeframe we were able to see what was happening in other sports. The other sports being played and going off relatively smoothly is a huge piece of data we could not have known about football
Can we not argue this. UConn was Indy. All their games would age got canceled anyway.

Reaction Score
The problem comparing CT and its population to other states is that CT (and other northeast states) has so many more private schools in-state and across the northeast region which splits people's allegiances and attention as opposed to states with one or two major state schools and little to no private schools of any repute.
Does and it doesn’t. As the flagship state school, UConn picks up lots of fan support for that reason. People growing up in CT, following a strong bb or football program is how you capture fans regardless of where you went to school.

The issue CT has is the split with Bb and fb. The older Big East crowd doesn’t appreciate UConn fb. Not because they don’t follow college fb, but because vast majority follow ND or some other school. That allegiance came from UConn not playing fb at that level and a national brand in ND that captured many Catholics in the northeast as their team.

I’ve said this before. Men’s and women’s success is because of success. CT loves winners. If UConn wins in FB, the Rent would have to be expanded.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Notre Dame was a football member of the ACC in ‘20
True.

UMass also played a handful of games (I believe four or five), but unlike Connecticut, Massachusetts didn't have a mandatory quarantine for everyone who left, then returned to the state.

Reaction Score
True.

UMass also played a handful of games (I believe four or five), but unlike Connecticut, Massachusetts didn't have a mandatory quarantine for everyone who left, then returned to the state.
I work at UMass. I am a CT resident. UMass and Mass had more stringent restrictions than CT or UConn. They played because they wanted to. So glad I didn’t move to Mass.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True.

UMass played 4 away games and lost all of them by a combined score of 161-12.

Reaction Score
UMass played 4 away games and lost all of them by a combined score of 161-12.
Nobody seems to care about the score.
The fact they played is the narrative.

But I get your point

Reaction Score
Can we not argue this. UConn was Indy. All their games would age got canceled anyway.
With the advantage of hindsight, I don't think anyone would think that cancelling the 2020 season was the only option. Would playing the season proved difficult? Yes, because there would have been a lot of COVID testing which costs money. But, there were schools available to play.

Look at 4 Indys from 2020.

Army, who was on UConn's 2020 schedule was scheduled to play 12 games in 2020 and they ended up playing 12 games in 2020. But, they only played 3 schools on their original schedule. Somehow, they found a way.

Liberty was also an Indy that was on UConn's 2020 schedule and they ended up playing 11 games including one against UMass. And, they played 3 ACC schools: @Syracuse, @NC State, @Virginia Tech. They played in a bowl.

UMass, another Indy on UConn's schedule, managed to play 4 games. UMass cancelled football on August 11 and restarted the season on September 21st.

BYU played 11 regular season games, but they had to find 7 new games and adjusted dates and locations on 2 games. They also played in a bowl.

Reaction Score
With the advantage of hindsight, I don't think anyone would think that cancelling the 2020 season was the only option. Would playing the season proved difficult? Yes, because there would have been a lot of COVID testing which costs money. But, there were schools available to play.

Look at 4 Indys from 2020.

Army, who was on UConn's 2020 schedule was scheduled to play 12 games in 2020 and they ended up playing 12 games in 2020. But, they only played 3 schools on their original schedule. Somehow, they found a way.

Liberty was also an Indy that was on UConn's 2020 schedule and they ended up playing 11 games including one against UMass. And, they played 3 ACC schools: @Syracuse, @NC State, @Virginia Tech. They played in a bowl.

UMass, another Indy on UConn's schedule, managed to play 4 games. UMass cancelled football on August 11 and restarted the season on September 21st.

BYU played 11 regular season games, but they had to find 7 new games and adjusted dates and locations on 2 games. They also played in a bowl.
Governor would not have allowed it. Only rod games?

It was a wasted year.

Reaction Score
Go back and read the-boneyard messages from September 2020. When other schools announced they were going to play after all, many posters on the board advocated for UConn to restart the season. There were even tweets from players that thought it was time to restart.

Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 9.21.50 AM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom