UCLA VS Maryland | The Boneyard

UCLA VS Maryland

Reaction Score
Should be a great game. Who would u rather face that’s if we beat Buffalo tomorrow.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I am a little disappointed we won't be meeting ol' orange in the second game in Albany

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Maryland is slightly better, but UCLA is more athletic and playing good basketball now. I think we can beat either.

I'll be at Monday's game. I think it's a toss-up.

Reaction Score
UCLA plays in a tough Pac 12 conference. They didn't exactly play their A game today vs Tennessee but found a way to win. I would expect their point guard Dean to have a better game vs Maryland.

Reaction Score
I’d put my money on UCLA because of their superior athleticism. Plus I think it would be fun to see UConn (should they win) and UCLA play again after both teams had some big names move on to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I’d put my money on UCLA because of their superior athleticism.
I have watched both teams play a fair amount of games this season and I don't understand why you think the UCLA players are more athletic. MD's team is young (only 1 senior), so I might see less experienced, but not less athletic. I agree that it should be a good game though. I have been a fan of Cori Close since she was an assistant at FSU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Onyenwere is one of the better leapers I've seen this year. She goes up for her jump shot like a pogo stick. Drummer and Burke are also quick leapers. Dean may be as fast as Jordin Canada. Maryland has some athleticism in Charles and Lewis, but I wouldn't call Jones, Austin, Fraser, Watson, or Mikesell especially fast. They are good, but not super fast.

Reaction Score
I have watched both teams play a fair amount of games this season and I don't understand why you think the UCLA players are more athletic. MD's team is young (only 1 senior), so I might see less experienced, but not less athletic. I agree that it should be a good game though. I have been a fan of Cori Close since she was an assistant at FSU.
Maryland has good players, but their starting 5 is not nearly as athletic as UCLA’s. Kaila Charles is the only one I would consider on the same level as Burke, Drummer, or Onyenware.

Here’s a video of some of their highlights against Tennessee:

Reaction Score
This should be a great game. UCLA is relentless on the glass particularly the offensive end. Dean I think is revealing herself as a really amazing point guard. Both speed judgment and shot. I'm actually looking for UCLA to advance and that would make a great game with the Huskies in my view. Can't wait to see Dean and Crystal face off. UCLA in the first quarter against Tennessee was absolutely on track. The shots were falling their defense was relentless and they demonstrated what they can do on the boards. Tennessee does have a tall team capable of rebounding and they were just pushed around in that first quarter. I see UCLA by 6 over Maryland and frankly I'm worried about UCLA and UConn. We're really going to need live to step up and I expect Williams might well be the difference in that game. Of course Lou would need to be 100%. Kennedy Burke is a handful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The HoopGurlz rankings for the UCLA starters:

Onyenwere #10

Burke #15

Drummer #8

Corsaro #35

Dean #86

That's a very highly ranked front court.

Reaction Score
UCONN Fans: UCLA will be a handful for UCONN if UCLA beats Maryland tonight. Truth is, every game going forward will be tough for all teams. I don't think any team that advances has any "layups".

Reaction Score
Halftime at UCLA versus Maryland. UCLA is out doing themselves on the glass they have their season average of 17 offensive boards here at half. Extremely physical and high-energy offense buy UCLA. Brenda needs to figure out some way to slow down UCLA rebounding juggernaut.

Clearly UConn would have their hands full with either team but as I said earlier I really think the Bruins present significant challenges for the Huskies. We may need to see Olivia and I'm not sure that she's mature enough to hang with the UCLA bigs

Reaction Score
Both of these teams look much better than we did yesterday. Neither of them looks like a comfortable matchup.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Maryland is slightly better, but UCLA is more athletic and playing good basketball now. I think we can beat either.

I'll be at Monday's game. I think it's a toss-up.
Liar!:mad:

Reaction Score
So far I don’t see the player on either of these teams that can break UConn down.

Lou gets her shots off on both these teams.

I see no one who could stop Phee from scoring.

All IMHO

Rooting hard for SDSU to take out ‘Cuse

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I am at the game, I am indifferent to which one we play as both have their pluses and minuses.
Maryland bigger, UCLA quicker. But neither has great shooters. Dean is good as is Oneywere. But we match up well with UCLA as Pheesa is better then Oneywere, Crystal Dangerfield is as good as Dean If she
Plays lime She usually does, MW is better than Burke and CW is better than Drummond. That leaves KLS vs. Corsero a mismatch.
POtatoe vs patatoe.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I tuned in with about 5min left in the 4th. Seeing lots of mistakes and missed bunnies on both sides of the ball. Officiating not as tight as last night either -- for example Drummer seems to have the green light for a very pronounced hip check screen, twice so far. I'm not making excuses for our ugly game last night but it seems other teams aren't immune to ugly either.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a truly amazing stat line:
Offensive rebounds UCLA 27 defensive rebounds Maryland 24
Offensive rebounds Maryland 20, defensive rebounds UCLA 20.

47 second chance opportunities in the game fairly evenly distributed.

And not sure where they get these refs, but they reviewed an out of bounds in the SDSU game which CLEARLY should have been overturned and did not change the call, and then turned to the MD game and they were reviewing one that was much closer, but looked like it should also have been overturned.

Big10 loses a game at home, ACC loses two games at home (MD, SYR, MIA.) Two upsets in Portland regional and one so far in Albany.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed this game and I think you guys will have your hands full with UCLA. Onyenwere, in particular was impressive. I am looking forward to your matchup with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom