UCF Postgame Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure she should be starting, but against physical teams like UCF she's quite useful UNTIL she can't stop fouling. What good is the defense...if you give the advantage back in free throws? And her teammates aren't going to say it, but look at their faces when they played defense right down to the last second...and then Nika bailed out UCF. Look at the coach's face. That can zap the energy out of a team. Nika is a great asset, but she has to learn to control some of that explosion. Her offense, and what allows her to play in these tight contests...is her defense.

So the two fouls committed by Nika were the only wo that warrant a player sitting on the bench because they were demoralizing to the team?

Yes she got two fouls, but the one foul she gave up, was some of the best on ball defense I've ever seen. That type of defense is deflating to the opponent over 40 minute game. It's a toughness that we simply don't have when she and Aaliyah Aren't on the court.

Reaction Score
Well, SCar only scored 49 against Miami. Y'all scored 52 against UCF.

Would you settle for a 52-49 ugly win against SCar?
Great point! I made that same one on Twitter last night when some (who rarely watch the women) were doing a bit of trash talk. Good luck to your team in the rest of the tournament.

Reaction Score
I have read all the comments. All 16 pages. I agree with some thought and naturally disagree with others. The one comment on last night's game that I don't recall seeing is an observation that I made probably sometime in the 3rd Q. That is; this game has way too much flopping. I'm not sure how a few early flopping calls would have made a difference, but it was crazy.
This activity, on the part of both teams, is disturbing and a discredit to the game IMO. Put the effort into making layups and this game would have over early.

Reaction Score
So the two fouls committed by Nika were the only wo that warrant a player sitting on the bench because they were demoralizing to the team?

Yes she got two fouls, but the one foul she gave up, was some of the best on ball defense I've ever seen. That type of defense is deflating to the opponent over 40 minute game. It's a toughness that we simply don't have when she and Aaliyah Aren't on the court.
No one is saying she isn't a good defender. And it's fine to let your emotions drive you, until the point where you aren't in control. It's not just the fouls themself...it's fouling at the end of the clock that made it worse...in a close game. The tough door can swing both ways.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Right by del prete, thanks I’ll try it!
oooooh, del prete, purveyors of the finest sfogliatelle on planet earth. after my first, around age 2 or 3, that was it. wrecked any thought of mine forever where there could be a better confection in the world. then i went around the globe to check - nope. even the baklava up in the hills of turkey came in behind it.

just seen in another online review site where dp continues to get almost perfect ratings;
'I am 81 now and my family has frequented Italian Pastries since 1940. Mom loved Roma"s and since the 60"s Del Prete's has been our favorite. I have been to Naples Italy many times now and have to say that Del Prete's pastries are as good or even better than Italys best!' tru dat.
oh, look. another review site from today! 3/22/22, where they went 50 for 50 on dp is 'great.'
'The best canoli cake you'll ever find!'
mebbe that's true, but i wouldn't know, since i just mainline the cannoli stuff, and chug it out of the bag. cutting out the middleman, and such.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I almost put that in my OP. They had just called a questionable illegal screen on Liv for her 5th foul and then with the UCF player spreading her legs wide out to trip Christyn, unbelievably they called a foul on Christyn. Fortunately it did not affect the outcome of the game.
Lucky Geno didn’t get t’d up on that horrendous call. If he had, the refs wouldn’t have made to 195 alive and it may have been a different ending.

Reaction Score
Can’t second guess Geno, but I agree. Nika was sorely needed. As wasDucharme. Just seems Geno wants to stick by his seniors.
I think Geno detected a bit of uneasiness with Carolyn’s demeanor on the court which I think is why she didn’t re-enter the game. Seemed obvious to me as well.

Reaction Score
Several major positives from this game:

We came back well after a rocky start.
Our team outscored the opponent by a wide margin once taking the lead.
Pressure foul shooting late in the game turned the tide.
Geno brought in key subs when our two bigs drew five fouls to keep control late in the game
We didn't blink (much)
Huskes won under game long pressure
We never gave up the led after we had it
Better defense against a top defensive team made the difference

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I am not allowed to have an opinion about him because of his credentials?
You are, but everyone else is allowed to have an opinion about your opinion. That’s kind of how the Internet works.

For what it’s worth, people take The Boneyard far too seriously. If you aren’t having fun, you aren’t doing it right.

Reaction Score
So the four guards who saw the most minutes shot 11-33 overall, 5-17 from 3, had 3 assists and 6 TOs but the player Auriemma called several times the “leader” of the team and the catalyst to quick, intense starts to games never saw the court in the 2nd half, never mind Ducharme also being benched for the 2nd half. They won but were very ripe for the picking, the game was really decided on the foul line. The advantage Uconn had with their depth has seemingly been abandoned and IMO Auriemma committed a cardinal sin of coaching, don’t fix what isn’t broken.
Thanks for these comments. Yes, it looks like the 9-player rotation that we have loved watching may be a thing of the past. I yelled at the screen most of the second half. Especially hard to watch Caroline back to looking like she did, before she became their best player, when Paige and Azzi went down. Hard to justify keeping Paige on the floor so long at this point , but I think he panics at times.

Reaction Score
No one is saying she isn't a good defender. And it's fine to let your emotions drive you, until the point where you aren't in control. It's not just the fouls themself...it's fouling at the end of the clock that made it worse...in a close game. The tough door can swing both ways.
True, players need a good time and court awareness. We were having trouble getting over half court and setting up our offense due to great defensive pressure. Breaking their press was difficult so we ran a late clock offensive and resulted in many panic shots. Hope this changes. Other coaches we will play will pick-up on this short-coming. Some of our guards picked up their dribbles much too soon and settled in the backcourt allowing a trapping defense to work. When one of our bigs came to inside half-court we broke the press much better but then went into a stalling offense will little time left in the possession. Not good! We are a much better attacking team IMO.

Reaction Score
The 5,000 students stood and cheered the entire game, becoming a true 6th man. The sound was deafening. It was like 1995 all over again.
When I walked into Gampel I thought they must have been giving free food or something to the students. I have never seen the students turn out for a women's game like that, and very rarely for the men. Yes, they were loud the whole game.

Reaction Score
Nika was part of a 9-2 run.
Bad fouls we're committed by every player last night. Not sure her one bad foul should be highlighted and the rest go unbothered.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about bad passes, picking up dribbles, and short arming 1’ shots. Maybe scared isn’t the word you’d use, but it’s the one I would. Deer in the headlights looks. I fully understand UCF played good defense, and kudos to them, but I don’t remember a Geno team that unprepared for it. The wrong people kept ending up with the ball when the shot clock was short. Just unforced errors. If we made layups we win by 20.
Agree 200% if there is such a thing.

Reaction Score
ESPNU re-ran the game and I caught the last 20 minutes during my lunch hour. The only word I can think of to describe the win is "ugly" with a capital U. The physicality reminded me of the wars with Boston College when Cathy Inglese was coaching them back in the day and don't get me started on the turnovers, missed layups and missed free throw attempts. IMO if they don't fix these things now they won't be able to go much further, someone is going to make them pay dearly for those failures.

On to Indiana!

Reaction Score
I don’t know why we just can’t call it what it was. This was a terrible game played by UCONN in all aspects. They almost blew a decent lead in the 4th Quarter and are lucky to move on because they played a team that was worse than they were in critical areas.

We know UCONN can play better. I think they will. But, if they play another game like they did last night, Spring Break.

Reaction Score
Caroline had a poor game? She played four minutes and missed two layups. If Geno had benched everyone who missed two layups, UConn would've had a pretty sparse array of players on the court by the second half. I hope if she has a good week of practice, Geno gives Caroline another chance in the next game. There will be games (including tonight) when it would be handy to have her point production.
Not just her points, but her rebounding, defense, and length. Not long ago, after Azzi and Paige went absent, she was playing better than anyone else on the floor.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
So did their coach
So interesting. I saw the coach and players leave without shaking hands. I assumed it was a COVID thing. I didn't realize it was a classless thing. BOOOO UCF!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
let's hope they got their stinko game out of the way last night. they are still too prone to lousy shooting nights which will not hold up against NC State or SoCar.
Don’t discount Notre Dame as much as I’d like them to flop.

Reaction Score
Substitutions will continue but not like we saw toward the end of the BE season. Paige, Azzi and CW will get the majority of minutes. Evina will probably wind up with more minutes than Nika. CD will be last in minutes unless Geno wants just one big in the game for stretches.

Reaction Score
Substitutions will continue but not like we saw toward the end of the BE season. Paige, Azzi and CW will get the majority of minutes. Evina will probably wind up with more minutes than Nika. CD will be last in minutes unless Geno wants just one big in the game for stretches.
That would be a mistake, but you may be right.

Reaction Score
True. But Dorka had been playing so well, including the 1st round game vs Mercer, that I just anticipated that she would be up to the challenge posed by UCF.
I wonder if it was the roar of the crowd that through her off stride, more than UCF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom