UCF Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s incredibly difficult for me to root for teams like UCF. Really dangerous playing style with all the illegal screens, elbows, and grabbing. I’m glad to see them eliminated before they ended up injuring someone.
I wish they would’ve played the one seed. Tenderize that team so that we can barbecue them later. Definitely a meat grinder when you play UCF. Very difficult style to watch but can be very effective. Could her style of basketball be due to the inability to attract top level players but be able to elevate lesser talent by playing her style. Tenacious defense and just enough offense.

Reaction Score
In Geno’s postgame presser he was asked about not playing Nika in the second half. He said it was nothing about Nika, but he felt he needed more offense on the court.
Yes, that's what he said publicly. ;)

Reaction Score
I hate games like this. Always hated playing UCF, always hated playing Rutgers (back in the day). They make playing "basketball" so difficult. Makes the game an ugly game.

They make it so irritating, I can't even enjoy the win. I went to bed in a pi$$ed off mood last night, even though we won. I hate that.

It's like if someone covers your favorite song and just butchers it. It's still your favorite song, but you get no enjoyment from listening to the cover. It just makes you mad they destroyed something you love.
I went to be more pi$$ed off at the comments on the BY

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Geno, but didn't understand his lineup tonight. Paige no help in scoring, looked weak on passes and dribbling ...Muele came in and played great...never saw her again! Caroline? absent....Odd combinations. Refs were terrible both ways. All the stops in the game-commercial breaks were weird. I hope we don't see UCF again for a loooooong time! I also just texted someone at the game to see if they saw the coaches shake hands. UCF=no class! We had to look at their coach sooooo much on TV. ugh...
i'm a big time men's team fan but also enjoy watching the women. some of my thoughts (if anyone cares):
UCF plays tough, pressure defense that rattled the team a bit thus leading to the missed layups - they were rushing to avoid the hits (Dorka, Caroline).

i think they come back as strong as ever after playing a game like this. Can't see Indiana providing the same defensive test

no problem with the limited Nika minutes. Geno wanted offense. i really like the Paige-Azzi-Westbrook-Williams-Dorka lineup even though it sputtered a bit

even with the missed layups, love Dorka's aggresiveness. much needed and think she will rebound nicely the rest of tourny

Paige clearly not 100% but a 75% Paige is still much needed

Christyn Williams is playing great basketball right now

Reaction Score
He was looking for offense, and did not think they would provide it. I think Nika was hoping, but Ducharme had a poor game
It was more like Caroline had no game. She missed those two layups and never saw the court again. Geno must’ve seen something that he didn’t like in the matchups possibly the speed of UCF

Reaction Score
The more I thought about it, maybe Geno didn't want her to get another hit to the head. It was an extremely physical game, downright dirty at times.
I think Geno views Caroline much like he viewed Shea Ralph in her freshman year. She was Geno’s secret weapon when she came off the bench, she was so capable of doing so many different things well that she would completely change the complexion of any game she came into. So when CD blew in quick succession two layups he knew something was not right with her. I just hope the headaches are not coming back.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your point at all. However, anyone who has watched Auriemma coach for a long time should not have been surprised by who he was NOT going to trust with the ball against pressure defense in the 2nd half of a close game.
Less concerned with how we brought the ball uncourt (ugly, but it got it done) than the lack of any motion offense once it got there. Don't believe there was a single backcut the entire game. When Paige started the offense, it seemed she was 5-10 feet further out than you normally see. If you believe in "good learning experiences," after this game, Huskies are well educated.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was more like Caroline had no game. She missed those two layups and never saw the court again. Geno must’ve seen something that he didn’t like in the matchups possibly the speed of UCF
I think Geno views Caroline much like he viewed Shea Ralph in her freshman year. She was Geno’s secret weapon when she came off the bench, she was so capable of doing so many different things well that she would completely change the complexion of any game she came into. So when CD blew in quick succession two layups he knew something was not right with her. I just hope the headaches are not coming back.
As I said in another thread, I was concerned about our freshmen playing like freshmen. Caroline clearly felt the pressure. So too did Dorka, a senior. They will both be better for the experience.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Less concerned with how we brought the ball uncourt (ugly, but it got it done) than the lack of any motion offense once it got there. Don't believe there was a single backcut the entire game. When Paige started the offense, it seemed she was 5-10 feet further out than you normally see. If you believe in "good learning experiences," after this game, Huskies are well educated.
While I agree that ball movement could have been better, backcuts don’t necessarily work against a zone defense.

Reaction Score
Hi UCF fan here. I just wanted to clarify something because i see a lot of people mad over it. We genuinely haven’t shaken hands with other teams in probably two years, ever since the start of covid. Doesn’t matter if it’s a W or an L, they usually just kind of do a team wave, which a lot of the other teams in the AAC do as well. Our softball and volleyball teams do the exact same thing after their games. Abe also tends to shake hands before the game rather than after, although she does do it sometimes. She tends to just wave as well. So it’s not disrespect, they just haven’t done it in forever.

Reaction Score
That male ref was clueless. He should not be allowed to ref another tournament game. On the CW foul he was about to signal "offensive" and then got confused. He took away a UCF free throw saying the shooter stepped over the line... she hesitated in her motion, but her feet never moved. There were many, many more examples. Embarrassing.
The UCF strategy is push, pull, hold, etc. throughout the game, thinking the refs won't call a foul on every play. This usually doesn't work on experienced refs who typically pull the teams together early in the game and read them the riot act. These were far from experienced refs.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are

1) They gutted out a tough win, that will pay dividends down the road
2) The crowd, atmosphere and UCF sped UConn up and they had a hard time adjusting
3) The arena was rocking the whole night
4) UConn proved they could overcome obstacles put in front of them
5) A total team effort

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tonite was a mental test and a physical test. We must be exhausted both mentally and physically after tonites game
True, but I bet they are going to be a lot happier about winning than a lot of "fans" on here.

Reaction Score
Some of us have said all along that when the going got tough players 8 and 9 on the depth chart would not be out there but over and over it was discounted. Well we did see didn't we. What Geno says and what he does are not always the same. He was MOTIVATING his players. All of them. He needs all of them but against the top teams he needs his best out there. This was a tough match for the young players especially. Imagine walking into that game.
Announcers kept talking about how UConn had so much "experience," yet their best player was Azzi, a frosh. Walking into this game didn't seem to be any different for her.

Reaction Score
Really tough to run backcuts against a matchup zone. If they had a big who could flash to the middle just inside the foul line and catch and shoot on the move, that's a good place to attack it.

Reaction Score
Then UConn would’ve been thinking I wish we made our layups All part of the game

Agree, but some of the fans acted like they missed basic layups when in reality a lot of those are tough contested "layups".

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Another night of an ugly chat room. What a disgrace some of the comments were.

These are young women playing a GAME. I see so many people saying they’re like daughters to them. Doesn’t seem that way in close games.

That being said it was a game dictated by defense, poor shooting and bad officiating.

A win is a win. NEXT!
Posting in the Chat is ok if someone thinks 3rd graders have wisdom. I’d rather listen to Carolyn Peck. Maybe not.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can’t read through the whole thread. I thought most of the kids played through the mess ok. Dorka struggled missing a few point blank lay ups, maybe anticipating being bumped.

Reaction Score
I would love to send this thread to Geno somehow and let him comment on all of you arm chair coaches. Wondering how many of you have won championships in your glory days.
I never know how to respond when Boneyarders suggest Geno is infallible. Belichick is likely the best football coach ever with many championships, but hasn't gone far in the playoffs for several years and is unlikely to win one this year. Nick Saban is one of the best college football coaches ever, but has lost the championship two years in a row. Geno is the best womens's basketball coach of all time. His coaching skills are proven but that haven't been enough to get UConn to the final game in several years. Unlike the other coaches I mentioned, Geno can win it all this year but suggest we focus on how they play and coach now. The rest is a nice history lesson.

Reaction Score
You didn't see the shots she was taking to her lower body under the boards. She'll have a great tourney.
No knock on Dorka I think she is one of the more important players. I really like the way she plays and the energy she brings. I can easily look past any of her shortcomings for the value she brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom