U17 - USA beats Hungary 91-63 in semifinals (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U17 - USA beats Hungary 91-63 in semifinals (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good 2nd half for Team USA after a sloppy poorly played 1st half. USA Wins 91-63. USA only had 6 Personal Fouls in the 2nd half. Hungary only went to the Free Throw line twice in 2nd half after going 20 times in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
I gotta tell you. The more I see of Katie Lou, the more she reminds me of DT. Just the way she bounces around. Katie Lou just makes things happen, and I see her doing huge things for UCONN.

I noticed at the end of the game she was sitting a lot with Lauren Cox. Perhaps she can help recruit her the way Kaleena did with Stewie.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If the Czech game was the last game of the day, expect would have had a better crowd. Crowd wasn't bad during the Czech vs Spain, but when Czech lost fans went home.

Czechs apparently don't like bench seats either.:rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale is going to score a lot of points at whatever school she ends up. She's going to abuse smaller guards down low and she can shoot.

Reaction Score
At least the USA had a challenge for the first half. I don't know if Spain has a transition game, but if they do, the USA's transition defense better be a lot better. Their transition defense in the first half was horrible. It was great to see Katie Lou knocking down threes, and then she used the rest of her arsenal after the first quarter. Still too much one-on-one. When they were up big in the fourth quarter, they should have slowed it down. It was smart of Coach Phillips to take the starters out towards the end. Looking forward to tomorrow and a USA victory.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My one concern about KLS is that she gets thrown around like a rag doll at times and is constantly on the floor. She doesn't shy away from contact, maybe a little to her detriment.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Back to Cox, the US went away from her offensively and thus she only took 3 shots. However, she had 7 boards, 3 assists, and 2 blocks in less than 15 minutes.

KLS played 33 minutes. The next closest was Boykin with 23. I thought KLS could've used some breathers.

Reaction Score
After watching all the games thus far, I see Anigwe, Boykins, Cox and Homes as having a tough street-wise style to their game. Samuelson plays more of a dainty suburban style ( but a great dainty suburban style) - the closest to an aggressive move was in the last game when she drove to the basket and scored at the end of the third quarter. The smoothest player on the court is Durr - being overlooked because of the play of Holmes - who you don't really notice until you look at the stats. Ionescu is the Kelly Farris of this team and Ogunbowale is the meme of the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was a hard fought game. Hungary played really well in the first half, but it appeared Team USA wore them down over the course of the game.

Standouts of the game - Samuelson, Holmes, Durr and Anigwe.

KLS - what can you say about this kid? There's a reason HG moved her to #1 and the more I see of her, the more I believe all the other services should have her as #1 too. Clearly things she can work on in her game - but she's the complete package, and on top of it all, a splendid leader.

Holmes - I wish/hope she's on UCONN's radar like NOW. Kid is a year younger than the rest, but already plays with an intensity, has the body, and possesses a skill set, of a college kid. Whoever lands her is getting a star. I think she's the #1 kid in the class - based on current ability AND potential. No offense to Cox, but this kid is the total package.

Durr - There are many great things about her game, but the thing that stands out the most to me is not only does she never force anything, but she always seems to make the best PLAY at any given moment - whether it's taking the ball to the basket herself, making a nice shot, or passing to an open teammate. Seems to have very high BBall IQ.

Anigwe - sure none of kids were making layups, but seeing her chase down, and battle for, rebounds was terrific to see. The kid is tough, and Cal got a really good player. She's class of 2015 and have no idea why HG has her at #48.

For the rest of the team, it's more about their complementary roles.

Boykin had a terrific 2nd half, after being largely invisible in the 1st half. Still, there's a really good reason why she's a starter and plays so many minutes. She's solid and steady and gives great effort. She did not strike me as a "bigger" kid - she played a bit "small" as a post player - but has some polished moves that would be more evident against a team that wasn't packing it into the paint. She looks 6'1" or 6'2". Absolutely no taller than 6'2"...

Ioenscu - I really want this kid. At times she seems to be giving too much effort (plays too fast) but she is like Kelly Faris on caffeine. Everywhere on offense and defense. Kid is all out effort all the time, and she has a far more polished offensive game and guard skills than Faris did at the same age. Really want this kid to be a Husky. Oh, and I swear the kid is at least 6' tall. I know people go bonkers on here about height, but you see her standing next to Boykin, and she's barely over an inch shorter, or next to Durr and she's at least 2 inches taller.

Ogunbowale - I'm just not impressed with her game. She constantly barreled into double and triple teams, and worse, puts her head down and pays no attention to what's going on around her when she's driving to the basket. I do get that this team has not played much together, but she seems at times allergic to team basketball. She is VERY strong for a guard, though, and while I don't see her as a good fit for UCONN, she will thrive on a team that gives her a very long rope to play with and let's her do a lot of 1 on 1 basketball.

Mulkey - I can see why she's intriguing. You can't teach 6'8". She looks much better than Alyssa Dehaan did (6'8" who went to MSU). Obviously she needs to get stronger, but she has a nice touch for a really tall kid (FT's) and she's only 16 or so. Almost impossible for a kid to grow that quickly and know what to do with her body at 16 years of age.

Cox - Another kid from 2016 - but she's really solid. Needs to work a bit on getting up to the speed of the game but has as much potential as any of the other 2016 kids. She's strong and has solid post moves. Her upside is similar to that of Lauren Jackson. She doesn't seem to possess a 3 point shot, never mind much of a mid range game so if she sees herself as a 4/3, she needs to work on ball handling and expanding her range.

Burke - She's going to UCLA - she hasn't played much, and as a 2015 kid, and a tweener (6' or 6'1"), I'm not sure she will be successful playing in the post. Still, a really good athlete.

Wilson - Going to Stanford - a solid guard who didn't look as good today as she did the other day, but quick, strong, and pesky on defense, and solid with the ball. Stanford got a good one

Chou - Mostly looked lost. Not as athletic as the other guards, not as good a ball handler, and not as good a shooter. Not trying to be mean, but she looks completely over her head when on the court. The kid may have potential - it's just not evident in this tourney...

Just my $.02. Bottom line, Love KLS, Holmes and Durr. As fans we are going to love Boykin.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I gotta tell you. The more I see of Katie Lou, the more she reminds me of DT. Just the way she bounces around. Katie Lou just makes things happen, and I see her doing huge things for UCONN.

I noticed at the end of the game she was sitting a lot with Lauren Cox. Perhaps she can help recruit her the way Kaleena did with Stewie.
Both KLS and Boykin also spent a lot of time, from what I could see, with Durr as well.

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Eric.....Nice informative summary and analysis.

Reaction Score
KLS may be an even better shooter than KML. How does Mater Dei do it? If, by some miracle, we get Asia Durr, the 2015 team, and those of subsequent years, will be legendary.

Reaction Score
KLS as good a shooter as she is she is not a good defender, that's something she is going to have to get better at when she gets to UConn, she actually sold out her bigs a few times that caused them to pick up fouls and Geno will not allow that, she lost her assignment a few times on defense, I love the way she shoots the ball but she needs a lot of work in a lot of areas, Durr has gotten better and has a better skillset, KLS has to become quicker and if at all possible more athletic for the college game

Reaction Score
KLS as good a shooter as she is she is not a good defender, that's something she is going to have to get better at when she gets to UConn, she actually sold out her bigs a few times that caused them to pick up fouls and Geno will not allow that, she lost her assignment a few times on defense, I love the way she shoots the ball but she needs a lot of work in a lot of areas, Durr has gotten better and has a better skillset, KLS has to become quicker and if at all possible more athletic for the college game

She is playing out of position IMHO. She is a 3 not a 2 or even 1 which she has been playing withg the U17 team.

Reaction Score
She is playing out of position IMHO. She is a 3 not a 2 or even 1 which she has been playing withg the U17 team.
KLS is a 3! She'll need to work hard on getting faster on defense as she does seem lost at time on defense. On offense, this kid is great already and will score a LOT of points at UConn as the system of reads will work perfectly for a player with such high basketball iq, deadly shooting touch and limitless range!

Reaction Score
Lauren Cox can dribble. If you watched today's game, she took the ball the full length of the court. Asia Durr does not always make the right decision, nobody does. Katie Lou was raining threes down in the first quarter, but let's not put the cart before the horse. Katie will be an exceptional player, and she should be the number one recruit in her class. However, we know KML can do it at the college level, and she has become an all-around player. Inside, outside, rebounding and defense. No one has better form on the three than KML. With all that being said, at 6'3" Katie has a definite height advantage over KML, and if she works on her ball handling and gets stronger, Bre and she will be an incredible combo of inside outside shooting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
She is quick, has very good hands, and is obviously willing to be coached by Geno. She will be just fine.

Reaction Score
She is quick, has very good hands, and is obviously willing to be coached by Geno. She will be just fine.
She will be fine but I don't know where you saw quickness, and she would open up like a swing door when guarding someone on the perimeter that will have to change at the next level, on offense at long as she can spot up and shoot she will kill the opponent but if you take that away she's not as effective on offense, now all that will change once Geno has her and breaks her down in practice and tells her that she has to get better at these things if she wants to get on the floor, he will do the same to all the players and there weaknesses once they get to Storrs

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Samuelson was helping inside on defense and would then have to rush back out to the perimeter when the ball was swung around. That's when I saw her get beat a lot. I don't know if that was her idea or if the coach wanted her to double down. I still think a lot of it had to do with fatigue. Not only did she play far more than anyone else, she was bringing the ball up the floor, trying to work around screens, playing press defense, and doubling down while trying to recover out to the 3-pt line.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Boykin was shining as well.

Holmes played good as well

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KLS has another year of HS... stop expecting her to be like BStew today.

again, if you watch a lot area HS basketball you'd be very impressed with KLS and others on the court today.

lower you standards just a lil when comparing a 16 to a 21yr old.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Give me a break. The whole 5 played bad D in the first half. Re watch the game. They were flat and didn't get back on transition. Up to this point they have been subbed out and The coach has played everyone, but that can bite you as the needed rotation hasn't had to play for long spells.

There are some poor defenders on the team but K LS (lead team in steals this game) isn't 1 of them. All the players were fatigued in the first half on this game, second half they got their legs and those poor defenders got less minutes, they are the ones who don't get in help or rotate!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom