U17 Gold Medal Game: US defeats Spain 77-75 (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

U17 Gold Medal Game: US defeats Spain 77-75 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Better rebounder, better shot blocker, better 1-on-1 defender. Probably end up at least as good a passer looking at the trajectory. She may not have quite as many offensive arrows in her quiver but I'd say she's at least very near Stewart as a prospect. I'd like to get some opinions from the professional prospect folks.

I understand most of us are just board jockeys and we just have voicing our opinion

Cox is not in the same column as Stewart, Cox will be a 5 in college and maybe play some 4 this is where all the top schools have her on there board, I will leave it at that

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I understand most of us are just board jockeys and we just have voicing our opinion

Cox is not in the same column as Stewart, Cox will be a 5 in college and maybe play some 4 this is where all the top schools have her on there board, I will leave it at that

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. We all know Cox and Stewart play different positions. I take it you don't think Cox is near the talent Stewart is although you didn't explain why.

Reaction Score
I'm no professional not even clsoe but would liek other opinions on COx as well. I only saw her this one game.

I see her as 5 only. Some see her as pf too? Hy? She seems slow to be a pf able to gurd strecth 4's. This is NOT a slam on her.

Slu mentioend better one-on-onedfense ? If you are guarding a center that is buried in the post, well okay. But Stewie roamed her defnse as a 3/4 and 5. So I'm not sure of that comparsion. Stewis strength is that she can be a 3 or 4 and punish the other team's defender more than they can punish her. I look at Maya Moore as a pf. In one-on one vs a physical pf -sure she can be beaten in the low post. However, at the other end she'd crush that same player. Sure a sf can get around Stew a bit. Or a center can musle her a bit. But at each level, like Maya-- she is a much larger problem for the defense.

Better passer Cox vs Stewie? Stewie passes from all over the court anywhere from low post to the outside. Passing from the outside for a player as big as Stewie is something spcial. When you are that big and you have the ball on the perimeter, if you aren't much of a dribbler - quick guards can cheat and overplay. Sure you could do a backdoor, but after the first backdoor pass is defended, it's extremely tough to make that next pass if you can't dribble. Sure you can be like Steph but you can also be like Stewie which is use the dribble to get to a point to make the next pass. Or beyond the 3 point line make a vertical pass that is offensive in nature rather than conservative/defensive - throw it back out further-- because the bigger/slower player doesn't have three point range and can't dribble much.

Reaction Score
Better rebounder, better shot blocker, better 1-on-1 defender. Probably end up at least as good a passer looking at the trajectory. She may not have quite as many offensive arrows in her quiver but I'd say she's at least very near Stewart as a prospect. I'd like to get some opinions from the professional prospect folks.
Stewart better period.I am 75 years old involved in scholastic and play probably 55 yrs.Was not a coach, I know a little wee bit.Stewart is superior in most if not all basketball traits.Cox will be a nice BB player but never to the level of B.Stewart.Stewart types do not come along very often......And come on she is not a better shot blocker..I don't know her vertical but know its no where near Stewart.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Cox is an excellent basketball player. TBS is one of the four or five best who have ever played. I really hope that the Huskies get Cox, but TBS she ain't.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Like your post but Cox is NO STEWART,no where near her.

The game was decided by Durr and Cox playing like Diana and Stewie with the game (and the gold!) on the line, not by any call(s) by the refs.

[Quotes out of sequence]

I never said Cox = Stewart (nor that Durr = Diana). What I said was that Durr and Cox played like Diana and Stewie with the game on the line. Clutch.

Reaction Score
I think a game should be called the same way in the last minute that it's called in the first minute. When ref's start changing the rules depending on what time of the game, it creates issues. Well, there's two minutes and twenty seconds left so now we can do this and get away with that because they're not going to call it???? That's a problem, waiting to happen. Be consistent.
Buzzyboy...I fullly agree,but thats not the way it is.Frustrating for one team ,not so for the other.I don't think we will ever see it change...Or at least at my age I know I won't see the change.

Reaction Score

Just to compare when Stewert played on the u17 team in 2010 she was only 15 and was the 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder {1 rebound short of being leader}, lead in blocked shots, led in steals, all while being 2 years younger than most.

Reaction Score
[Quotes out of sequence]

I never said Cox = Stewart (nor that Durr = Diana). What I said was that Durr and Cox played like Diana and Stewie with the game on the line. Clutch.
I still like your post BUT Cox cannot play to the level of Stewart.....Never will.....Be a good 5 ,but .Lacks too many BB Traits needed.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
They ignore rules every game...most common walking,palming,will call a bump one quarter and over look it the next.I could go on and on.and on...refs. are human....

You changed topics on me.

Here you are making a vast generalization about the competence of refs. Fair enough, but quite different from your earlier comment (to which I responded) which suggested that the call (on KLS) should not have been called because it was at a critical time in the game.

There is a widespread school of thought (more, I think, among ice hockey enthusiasts than basketball) that referees should "swallow their whistles" at crunch time. I don't share this view but that is a very different issue than thinking refs miss a lot.

Reaction Score
You changed topics on me.

Here you are making a vast generalization about the competence of refs. Fair enough, but quite different from your earlier comment (to which I responded) which suggested that the call (on KLS) should not have been called because it was at a critical time in the game.

There is a widespread school of thought (more, I think, among ice hockey enthusiasts than basketball) that referees should "swallow their whistles" at crunch time. I don't share this view but that is a very different issue than thinking refs miss a lot.
Kib,I did not change topics.....I was commenting on 2 different topics...ck the board....And I did not say any ref was incompetent,but they over look things at times.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
dead-horse.gif

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Stewart has always played above her age level for USA BB. Cox has not. Stewart is a one of a kind. And I would not be surprised if Stewart makes the National Team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Slu mentioend better one-on-onedfense ? If you are guarding a center that is buried in the post, well okay. But Stewie roamed her defnse as a 3/4 and 5.....

Better passer Cox vs Stewie? Stewie passes from all over the court anywhere from low post to the outside.......

Cox roams as well. She's notorious for coming out to shut down perimeter players in high school.

Cox is also that kind of passer from the perimeter. She showed that several times during this tournament. Also, I didn't say Cox was a better passer, but that she could be as least as good based on trajectory. Does Cox pass as consistently as well as Stewart does right now? No, they're four years apart. But Cox is a terrific passer.

Stewart is superior in most if not all basketball traits.Cox will be a nice BB player but never to the level of B.Stewart.Stewart types do not come along very often.And come on she is not a better shot blocker..I don't know her vertical but know its no where near Stewart.

I don't know their verticals either but trust me, Cox can leap in a similar fashion to Stewart. She's a star volleyball player. She averaged nearly 5 blocks a game as a sophomore, had 8 yesterday, and 10 in last year's Gold Medal game for the U-16 squad. Of course, blocking shots is about more than just leaping ability. The two are really close in this category.

What traits do you believe Stewart to be superior in?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stewart has always played above her age level for USA BB. Cox has not. Stewart is a one of a kind. And I would not be surprised if Stewart makes the National Team.

Stewart's special. We all get that. I'm saying Cox is pretty special too.

Cox was nearly the youngest player on both her U-16 and U-17 teams, almost a year younger than Samuelson. She was 15 years and 2-1/2 months on the U-16 while Stewart was 14 years and 10-1/2 months, just a 4 month difference.

I don't put great emphasis on one short tourney, but since we're talking about it:

Stewart on the U-16 averaged 9.6 pts, 3.6 rebs, and 1.4 blocks while shooting 53%.

Cox on the U-16 averaged 11.8 pts, 8.8 rebs, and 3.5 blocks while shooting 55%.

Stewart on the U-17 averaged 12.8 pts, 7.5 rebs, 2.25 blocks while shooting 57%

Cox on the U-17 averaged 7.1 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.7 blocks while shooting 40%.

Reaction Score
Dolson seems a better comparison to me, though even that isn't entirely right. Cox is more athletic, Dolson more versatile on offense thanks to a better range. Cox's on court attitude again seems to be more akin to a Dolson than a Stewart. But either way, if Geno was watching that game, he certainly must have upped her on his priority list. :)

Reaction Score
Cox roams as well. She's notorious for coming out to shut down perimeter players in high school.

Cox is also that kind of passer from the perimeter. She showed that several times during this tournament. Also, I didn't say Cox was a better passer, but that she could be as least as good based on trajectory. Does Cox pass as consistently as well as Stewart does right now? No, they're four years apart. But Cox is a terrific passer.

I don't know their verticals either but trust me, Cox can leap in a similar fashion to Stewart. She's a star volleyball player. She averaged nearly 5 blocks a game as a sophomore, had 8 yesterday, and 10 in last year's Gold Medal game for the U-16 squad. Of course, blocking shots is about more than just leaping ability. The two are really close in this category.

What traits do you believe Stewart to be superior in?
All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cox will not be player of the year in college.Which reflects skill level.She is An Anchona type(spelling??)ND type.Stewart is one of few..A special BB talent.If you think she is another coming of Stewart,never...but you will have a lot of heads shaking saying she is another Stewart!As for her blocks most come as she STANDS on the floor,watch closely, and is aided by her big body and arm length.But I agree she is a nice ball player for the Huskies at the 5.Her big body fits her in there well.Takes lots of space and is strong.Space and strength great for a rebounder.Thats why Tuck is nice around the bucket.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dolson seems a better comparison to me, though even that isn't entirely right. Cox is more athletic, Dolson more versatile on offense thanks to a better range. Cox's on court attitude again seems to be more akin to a Dolson than a Stewart. But either way, if Geno was watching that game, he certainly must have upped her on his priority list. :)

Agree that Dolson is better for comparisons sake. I'm not saying Cox and Stewart play the same type of game. I will say though that I think Cox matches Dolson in the range department by age. By most accounts, Dolson wasn't much of a shooter until getting to UConn. Cox can make outside shots but it's not her strength. Give her two years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As for her blocks most come as she STANDS on the floor,watch closely, and is aided by her big body and arm length.

Good thing Stewie doesn't accumulate any blocks that way, standing still with her go-go gadget arms straight up. ;)

Reaction Score
Good thing Stewie doesn't accumulate any blocks that way, standing still with her go-go gadget arms straight up. ;)[/QUOT
Good thing Stewie doesn't accumulate any blocks that way, standing still with her go-go gadget arms straight up. ;)
Never said that,Stewart did not get blocks that way......But Stewart is more mobile...I think it is best you write a note to your self to COMPARE stats...points, blocks etc.etc. after 4 yrs.college and maybe also Player of year and other awards.count.....instead of sending the snid facey thing..Indicating I know nothing,..I am confident because I have seen enough in my years to know Stewart is a special BB player.And I never said Cox will not improve over time.Its not often the special player like Stewart shows up.At my age I won,t see another(female player) like her.By By.Since I am so stupid ...I won't say any more and embarrass my self.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
instead of sending the snid facey thing..Indicating I know nothing,

You sure managed to read a whole lot into something that isn't there.

I am confident because I have seen enough in my years to know Stewart is a special BB player

We all realize Stewart is special. Not sure why you're being so defensive over this.

By By.Since I am so stupid ..

Nobody, least of all me, claimed you are stupid.

You said most of Cox' blocks come from standing still and using her length. Okay, I've watched her play AAU and with Team USA and I very much disagree. You made it sound like she's just some large space filler that uses her body like a wall and that's not the case. She is every bit as mobile as Stewart. Forget comparing Cox to Stewart. The fact is Cox is a tremendous talent who can do pretty much everything on the court.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Go USA, didn't we win, oh yes we did. AND sometimes you have to win ugly and things don't go your way. USA just beat Spain and boy they had everyone against them, but that is typical.

Re Cox, if you only watched this game then it's really hard to have an opinion on her game, even in this game she made some crucial turnovers that could have cost more dearly. Passing is not her game IMO, she is no Dolson or Stewie, in fact that is why Holmes played over her in the other games. She did do what was needed IE blocked shots - best part of her game and was able to finish unlike her previous 6 games. I would project her as a 5 she will do well at it because she has a strong body but will need to improve shot selection and stop fading.

Holmes deserved ATT, she played with hustle the whole tournament. Scoring in the games like Mali and Mexico, well not much you can say about those games really, just fillers.

Now the big call that basically helped USA seal the win. It was a foul, did KLS sell it, yes she is that savvy and with the calls going mostly to Spain, she needed to sell it, as they were not calling fouls for USA. Interesting that is was the guy who had been quiet for most of the game, so good for him for actually stepping up to make the call.

I would be happy with the girls coming to Uconn, you have KLS who played even though she got injured, then sick and did exactly what the coach wanted her to do, had to play PG, who would have thought that, carried them when she needed (i.e. Hungary). And you have a player like Boykin who also does what the team needs. Both the most team oriented. I could not say that about a lot of the other players on the team, a couple may have had an odd game here and there but I would not consider them TEAM players. Ionescu would probably be the only other that I thought should have had more minutes.

I know Sue Phillips really well and knowing how she coaches told me a lot about some of the players on this team, those that play are those that know the game and understand the offenses and defensive schemes. But you have to look at the big picture, ALL the games. Yes if you can get a mismatch here and there, like Cox in the final, you would use it to your advantage.

Arike IMO is perfect for 3 on 3 as she is a 1 on 1 player and can overpower guards, that is her game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Never said that,Stewart did not get blocks that way.But Stewart is more mobile...I think it is best you write a note to your self to COMPARE stats...points, blocks etc.etc. after 4 yrs.college and maybe also Player of year and other awards.count.....instead of sending the snid facey thing..Indicating I know nothing,..I am confident because I have seen enough in my years to know Stewart is a special BB player.And I never said Cox will not improve over time.Its not often the special player like Stewart shows up.At my age I won,t see another(female player) like her.By By.Since I am so stupid ...I won't say any more and embarrass my self.

Relax, take it easy. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cox is a center. Samuelson is a wing. Cox is in the class of 2016, KLS class of 2015. KLS has committed and will be in Storrs in a year. And we all know that Geno will go all out to reel Cox in. So much for Cox-KLS comparisons.

Permit me to repeat something I posted earlier in this thread about KLS and Cox.

And add that one is 16 and the other is 17, so both have lots of time and opportunity for development. Just like Stewie did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01