Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Game about to start. Will be interesting to see how USA guards play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
US up early 13-5. Guards playing well IMHO - putting a lot of pressure on the French guards, even out beyond the 3 point line.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA playing with more intensity and I agree with Eric guards are playing better defense.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Katie Lou has a good handle, great shot and handles the ball wow. I can only imagine how good shes gonna be when UConn develops her. Heres something I was thinking about watching the game. Ive gotta wonder what the kids are saying to each other about their soon to be college coaches. Can you imagine Boykin and KLS talking about their development expectations at UConn. Mulkey at 6'9 would be a nice project to get and give her a couple of years at UConn and she could be a nice player, Cox and Durr would be super players.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Katie Lou has a good handle, great shot and handles the ball wow. I can only imagine how good shes gonna be when UConn develops her. Heres something I was thinking about watching the game. Ive gotta wonder what the kids are saying to each other about their soon to be college coaches. Can you imagine Boykin and KLS talking about their development expectations at UConn. Mulkey at 6'9 would be a nice project to get and give her a couple of years at UConn and she could be a nice player, Cox and Durr would be super players.
I was thinking the same thing Tony. Loved seeing her rip a rebound down, start bringing the ball up the court, get harassed by a French player, dribble behind her back to get around the other player, make a great pass, set herself up behind the 3 point line, get the ball back and drain a 3. All in about 20 seconds.

Oh, and watching the interaction between Samuelson and Durr is fun too!! The pair of them so far seem to be the best players on team USA.

Side note - Mulkey is a turnover machine. Hands like rocks, so thin she's pushed around - she reminds me of that super tall kid who went to Michigan State. Frankly, I'm much more intrigued by Joyner Holmes. Kid already has a WNBA body.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd love to see the +/- when KLS is on the court. The US seems unable to score when she's on the bench. It doesn't hurt that she knocks about everything down when she shoots it...!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good 1st half for Team USA Lead 41-24. Only negative which happens in so many WBB games were the missed layups. Otherwise USA would have about a 30 point lead. Much better intensity.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW my 1st half observations... All the kids are pretty good and they all bring something different to the team.

Durr and Samuelson are the best players on the team. Durr plays solid athletic defense, when I think a lot of kids their age sort of avoid playing defense on every single play. She doesn't take a play off. Samuelson can do it all. Dribble, pass, shoot, play defense - she's not as athletic as Durr, but also obviously takes pride in playing it and works hard.

Cox had some nice moments. She's a year younger and not at the same level as Samuelson, but she's a year younger. Bigger, stronger, and pretty mobile for a kid her size. Like her game a lot.

Anna Wilson is a solid guard as is Ogunbowale. Neither did anything spectacular but both were solid when out there. I was a tad more impressed with Wilson out of the pair. Chou has potential and is a solid player, but didn't do much. Ionescu is the same age as Chou and I was more impressed with her, but she didn't get much PT for some reason. She reminds me of Sue Bird...

Mulkey doesn't really intrigue me, but Homes and Burke do. Holmes is bigger and stronger, but Burke (looked about 6'1" to Holmes' 6'2 or 6'3") played well, is athletic, and knows where to position herself for rebounds. Both players missed layups, but Holmes especially looked good putting the ball on the floor and driving to the basket.

Boykin got a lot of PT and seemed to be "relied" on, but didn't do much in the way of stats. Was actually more impressed with Holmes and Burke than Boykin.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm more impressed with France Big's than USA. Chartereau (13) & Tadic (14) are nice players. Nothing flashy, but sold fundamental players.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA outscored France 21-15 in 3rd quarter. Lead 62-39 at end of 3.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm more impressed with France Big's than USA. Chartereau (13) & Tadic (14) are nice players. Nothing flashy, but sold fundamental players.
Agreed. The US post players are ALL unable to make a layup in traffic. Aginwe had a nice 3rd quarter, but only because she made some foul shot. Missed every single layup she attempted. On the other hand, but Durr and Ogunbowale were capable of making layups in the post.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA wasn't going to let France back into the game like they did in their Exhibition Loss. They learned their lesson well. Now blowing out France.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
3 minutes left in 4th Qtr. USA has outscored France 26-1 so far in the quarter.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ionescu played a very alert game. Looks like a Kelly Faris type.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So my final observations - the entire US team played really well. No 2 players had "identical" games, and whoever selected the team did a really good job of putting kids with different strengths on the team.

Boykin had a much better 2nd half. some steals, layups, logged a lot of minutes but did more visible things with her time on the court in the 2nd half. Side note - when on the bench, Durr either sat next to Boykin or Samuelson almost the entire time. Just a random observation FWIW...

REALLY liked Ionescu's game - she came in about the last 7-8 minutes and impacted the game from everywhere. More athletic than Bird at the same age, not as good a shooter, but she was everywhere getting steals, deflections, pestering the French guards, and scoring as well. Reminded me a bit of Faris on defense. Thinner of course, but same type of athleticism and intensity. Oh, and she's got ball handling and scoring skills Kelly didn't possess at the same age. Sign this kid NOW! :)

Cox also impressed as well. Kid is a bit raw, but you can see the potential. Seems much more a forward than a wing at this time. Needs to work on ball handling and outside shooting, but again, a lot of potential. Oh, and all of the US post players managed to make layups in the 2nd half. Their allergy to the basket seemed to disappear LOL...

Even Mulkey played better in the 2nd half. The rest of my comments from above pretty much sum up the rest of the team. Of the kids who may not be on our rader, IMHO Joyner Holmes should be.

Given that Chou and Cox seem likely to go to school in their own states, I think a full court press on Ionescu is called for. Would love to land that kid.

Reaction Score
Players of the game in order with very little separation between them based on my feel of their game today (stats eh):
Holmes
Samuelson
Durr
Cox
Ionescu (she is just plan fun to watch)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
USA wasn't going to let France back into the game like they did in their Exhibition Loss. They learned their lesson well. Now blowing out France.
they remember 4.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USA played a good game, everyone played there roles

These teams are put together and players have there roles to play for the betterment of the team and winning the gold, it's clear who they want to be the primary scorers, KLS and Durr, Cox role is as rebounder, Boykin as screener/facilitator from the top,

Some except there roles and other have a tougher time understanding there role,

When you have a team of players that can flat out play some of them have to except and play a role and that will happen again when they get to college, you have to have glue players, we on the BY like to talk about recruits in terms of offense we rarely talk about if they are ready defensively or if they know how to make a pass or see the floor well, I'm very old school, if a player gets a steal and passes it to the guard and sprints the floor I would expect that guard to reward that player that got the steal by passing it back to them for a layup, but most of today's players will keep it and try to score for themselves because that's all they know is I have to score because that is what they have been taught, that's why Geno does so well he make them think about the team and the next pass, some of the recruits will buy into it and some will struggle with it,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01