U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 43 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
TitleTown - That is a given. and why Coaches invest the time to see kids play in person .

the objection was in regards to the declaration that Highlight video " is most useless way to evaluate. "
when that is just not the case. Plays a part in numerous recruiting / evaluation processess. Especially in intial, early stages

College coaches can attest... they can only see so many kids during each evaluation period. Highlight video can be a valuable resource in making them aware of kids they were not familiar with .. and become immediately intrigued with / interested in.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
One way to level set is to get beyond highlights and evaluate a full game tape of the player against the highest level of competition they have played.
For Christyn Williams that would be USA basketball from this past summer. For Cameron, I'm not sure but I'm very impressed by her athleticism. There were a couple of Jewelloops in Cameron's package and that was very impressive.

The last round of video highlights was interesting in that it focused on defense and transition moves in the beginning.
Might be a given with a top-flight athlete but I liked some of the "natural" things she did at full speed -- you know, the things us mere mortals tend to think about too much and, hence, can't do: The behind-the-back pass from the sideline back to her teammate; the effortless layups at full-speed both righty and lefty and the steps into the passing/dribbling lanes. As Coach Bill brought up in an earlier post, you can tell she is a good athlete who has played other sports. Lastly, great motor and acceleration. Yes, would like to see other competition, but the moves above hold up....

Reaction Score
The last round of video highlights was interesting in that it focused on defense and transition moves in the beginning.
Might be a given with a top-flight athlete but I liked some of the "natural" things she did at full speed -- you know, the things us mere mortals tend to think about too much and, hence, can't do: The behind-the-back pass from the sideline back to her teammate; the effortless layups at full-speed both righty and lefty and the steps into the passing/dribbling lanes. As Coach Bill brought up in an earlier post, you can tell she is a good athlete who has played other sports. Lastly, great motor and acceleration. Yes, would like to see other competition, but the moves above hold up....

I guess there are plenty of talented basketball players out there in the high school ranks, contrary to what some in WBB are saying these days..........perhaps not as many talented bigger forwards and post players but enough talent to keep the top teams going

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Naples Shootout scouting reports:

Easily one of the events standout performers was nationally ranked Christyn Williams from Central Arkansas Christian. The skilled guard is strong, smooth and fluid in all she does. What sets her apart from most on the scholastic level is her ability to make plays at speed. On the attack she’s protecting the ball even in the midst of traffic and isn’t deterred by defensive rotations that come her way. Add to that mix a physical strength that allows her to handle contact on the offensive end contain her own match up’s defensively. Going a step further, a greater statement is that Williams makes those players around her better. Hard to find on any level.

Naples Holiday Shootout - Wrapping Up 2016 - Bluestar Media

Christyn Williams, 5-10, guard, 2018, Central Arkansas Christian Schools (Little Rock, Arkansas)

Williams, a lefty, is capable of playing either guard slot but is probably more “two” than “one” at the next level. She showed the ability to attack the basket going hard to the rim with either hand finishing against contact. To complement that, she displayed a nice mid-range stroke. The three-ball is there but does not appear to be option one or two. Her final seven college list includes Arkansas, Baylor, Connecticut, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee and UCLA.

Naples Holiday Shootout 2016

Reaction Score
Naples Shootout scouting reports:

Easily one of the events standout performers was nationally ranked Christyn Williams from Central Arkansas Christian. The skilled guard is strong, smooth and fluid in all she does. What sets her apart from most on the scholastic level is her ability to make plays at speed. On the attack she’s protecting the ball even in the midst of traffic and isn’t deterred by defensive rotations that come her way. Add to that mix a physical strength that allows her to handle contact on the offensive end contain her own match up’s defensively. Going a step further, a greater statement is that Williams makes those players around her better. Hard to find on any level.

Williams, a lefty, is capable of playing either guard slot but is probably more “two” than “one” at the next level. She showed the ability to attack the basket going hard to the rim with either hand finishing against contact. To complement that, she displayed a nice mid-range stroke. The three-ball is there but does not appear to be option one or two. Her final seven college list includes Arkansas, Baylor, Connecticut, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee and UCLA.

CW used to be more of an outside shooter but it appears that she has been working on her drives and mid range game over the past year..........she would be absolutely devastating in the UConn offensive system............

Dillon77

Reaction Score
2018 PG Brown Commits to Notre Dame

Jenna Brown, 5'10" point guard out of Atlanta area (#8 overall player for 2018, #1 point in Hoopgurlz) just committed to ND, so she joins Patberg in 2018-2019 (and beyond, knock on wood), with Stanford transfer Lili Thompson and Patberg manning the PG in 2017-18.

Ms. Brown joins fellow 2018 ND commits guard Katlyn Gilbert (Indiana) and guard/wing Abby Prohaska (Ohio). Coach McGraw has says she might recruit 4 -- maybe even 5 -- players in that class. Both 2017 frosh-to-be commits were forwards (Mikayla Vaughn and Danielle Patterson). Still, one would think another forward/post is a target, given Diamond Thompson is graduating and Koko Nelson may or may not request/be granted another year of eligibility.

jenna-brown

Reaction Score
Tatum Veitenheimer brings leadership, along with grandma's memory, to Windthorst girls' basketball

Some team is going to be lucky to get her.....sounds like a great kid
CHARLIE: nifty link you provided; and suggests several reasons why she will pick UCONN: she just SEEMS like UCONN all the way, doesn't she?; she loves a team where the PG has a huge role (who loves point guards more than the PG-sized coach of UCONN?); wants to be a role model for young kids....where else is there better opportunity/spotlight/emphasis/coverage for that hugely important mission that UCONN?; she can see herself in a variety of settings and knows about dirt roads; the clincher.....she doesn't think any of the colleges have cows....so that will be a very pleasant surprise and a warming touch of home.

Reaction Score
CHARLIE: nifty link you provided; and suggests several reasons why she will pick UCONN: she just SEEMS like UCONN all the way, doesn't she?; she loves a team where the PG has a huge role (who loves point guards more than the PG-sized coach of UCONN?); wants to be a role model for young kids....where else is there better opportunity/spotlight/emphasis/coverage for that hugely important mission that UCONN?; she can see herself in a variety of settings and knows about dirt roads; the clincher.....she doesn't think any of the colleges have cows....so that will be a very pleasant surprise and a warming touch of home.

I could be wrong but I don't think UConn is actively recruiting her.

Reaction Score

She would be crazy not to like UConn but I'm not sure if they are in the market for her............other names have come up for that position but I've never seen her's............

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She would be crazy not to like UConn but I'm not sure if they are in the market for her..other names have come up for that position but I've never seen her's..

Apparently, ND took at look at her in the summer at various camps/tourneys and that was that. Shifted their focus elsewhere as is apparent with the Brown commitment.

Incidentally, Manasquan ventured over to the Island this weekend to play LI Lutheran, who are also ranked in the Top 20 nationally and came away with an OT victory. Colts Neck transfer Lola Mullaney (another great name to join Stella Clarke) had 10 or 11, Masonius had a double-double and Mabrey went off for 30+. I have no idea if the Irish are after her given that they already have Gilbert and Prohaska committed, but Dara seems to be stepping it up this year.

Reaction Score
Apparently, ND took at look at her in the summer at various camps/tourneys and that was that. Shifted their focus elsewhere as is apparent with the Brown commitment.

Incidentally, Manasquan ventured over to the Island this weekend to play LI Lutheran, who are also ranked in the Top 20 nationally and came away with an OT victory. Colts Neck transfer Lola Mullaney (another great name to join Stella Clarke) had 10 or 11, Masonius had a double-double and Mabrey went off for 30+. I have no idea if the Irish are after her given that they already have Gilbert and Prohaska committed, but Dara seems to be stepping it up this year.

Dillon.....you didn't see my post about the game? Not sure if you've seen the video highlights but they are on there..........should be on first or second page of Boneyard posts..........title is something like Two of the Top HS WBB Teams played Today........great tv report with lots of highlights of Mabrey, Masonius, Mullaney and LuHi's Celeste Taylor who is quite a player.........on a later post you will see that there is a huge tournament on 1/29 at Holmdel High School with the same two teams plus Rutgers Prep, Rumson Fairhaven, St John Vianney, Archbishop Wood(PA), Gill St Benards, Notre Dame etc...........10 bucks at the door

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good get for ND. And I would think they are seriously recruiting bigs - 2018 seems to have a very good crop of center/forwards

Reaction Score
Does Jenna Brown committing affect Anaya Peoples (PG-2019)? Aren't Peoples and Gilbert supposedly best friends.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
2018 PG Brown Commits to Notre Dame

Jenna Brown, 5'10" point guard out of Atlanta area (#8 overall player for 2018, #1 point in Hoopgurlz) just committed to ND, so she joins Patberg in 2018-2019 (and beyond, knock on wood), with Stanford transfer Lili Thompson and Patberg manning the PG in 2017-18.

Ms. Brown joins fellow 2018 ND commits guard Katlyn Gilbert (Indiana) and guard/wing Abby Prohaska (Ohio). Coach McGraw has says she might recruit 4 -- maybe even 5 -- players in that class. Both 2017 frosh-to-be commits were forwards (Mikayla Vaughn and Danielle Patterson). Still, one would think another forward/post is a target, given Diamond Thompson is graduating and Koko Nelson may or may not request/be granted another year of eligibility.

jenna-brown

Do you have an idea of who else ND is recruiting for 2018, specifically at forward/center?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon.....you didn't see my post about the game? Not sure if you've seen the video highlights but they are on there.....should be on first or second page of Boneyard posts.....title is something like Two of the Top HS WBB Teams played Today...great tv report with lots of highlights of Mabrey, Masonius, Mullaney and LuHi's Celeste Taylor who is quite a player....on a later post you will see that there is a huge tournament on 1/29 at Holmdel High School with the same two teams plus Rutgers Prep, Rumson Fairhaven, St John Vianney, Archbishop Wood(PA), Gill St Benards, Notre Dame etc......10 bucks at the door

Charlie: I did see it. Sorry, on Sunday evening, I was hoping the New York Football Giants would start another crusade in the frozen tundra. Plus, I had seen the two older Mabrey's battle it out earlier on ESPN2 (Michaela gave Coach Meier good hints on how to negate Brianna...beat her to the spot and body her. Hof did a good job. But Marina and Kat Westbeld play well in "ugly" games...).

Mabrey and Masonius looked awfully solid and Mullaney is starting to get into the flow for the Warriors. I'll make a note to get to the 1/29 tourney. Are you going?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Do you have an idea of who else ND is recruiting for 2018, specifically at forward/center?

Good get for ND. And I would think they are seriously recruiting bigs - 2018 seems to have a very good crop of center/forwards

There are a lot of bigs in the Class of 2018 but the only one that seems to be "public knowledge" on ND's radar is
Shakira Austin, the 6'5" forward/post from Virginia (#5 and 2nd forward/post in Hoopgurlz) #40 overall and 7th rated forward on Prospects Nation).

There was some talk that Amira Collins, the post at Paul VI (teammate of 2017 ND Commit Mikayla Vaughn) was a post of interest, but she decided to go to Tennessee. (Honesty Scott-Grayson, the PG who transferred to Paul VI was also thought to be a PG of interest) but that does not seem to the case now that Ms. Brown has committed.)

Turner, Westbeld and Nelson (if she gets a fifth year) will all be gone after 2018 and that will leave Vaughn and Danielle Patterson. Jackie Young plays tall for a guard and Boley can rebound, but they're not true bangers. So we need at least one more forward (or two) to join Gilbert, Prohaska and Brown. So, a minimum of one forward would seem to be a target.
But that fifth slot might be reserved for best player available, regardless of position.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Does Jenna Brown committing affect Anaya Peoples (PG-2019)? Aren't Peoples and Gilbert supposedly best friends.

That's the talk. And more than a few Irish boosters would love to see that friendship continue at Notre Dame du lac.
The program really needed to get MM's kind of point guard to work with Patberg in 2018 and apparently Ms. Brown is the choice.

That said, I don't know if it affects any courtship per se. Are Muffet and Niele looking at her (still) and if so, strictly as a PG or a combo-guard (which Gilbert is often thought to be, as well)? And is Peoples open to doing the same? I'm not privvy to any of this thinking, obviously, but those are the kind of questions that come up with my speculating.

Overall, after a very long, protracted 2017 recruiting season, it's nice to have three guards in hand at this early juncture.
Now, we'll sweat the bigs :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Charlie: I did see it. Sorry, on Sunday evening, I was hoping the New York Football Giants would start another crusade in the frozen tundra. Plus, I had seen the two older Mabrey's battle it out earlier on ESPN2 (Michaela gave Coach Meier good hints on how to negate Brianna...beat her to the spot and body her. Hof did a good job. But Marina and Kat Westbeld play well in "ugly" games...).

Mabrey and Masonius looked awfully solid and Mullaney is starting to get into the flow for the Warriors. I'll make a note to get to the 1/29 tourney. Are you going?

I would really like to go with some kids from the high school team but may have some scheduling issues.............probably the best one day high school event that we'll see this year in the NY/NJ area.....I've been taking to the folks down there and the word is you better get there before the end of game one if you want to get a ticket.........

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I would really like to go with some kids from the high school team but may have some scheduling issues...probably the best one day high school event that we'll see this year in the NY/NJ area.....I've been taking to the folks down there and the word is you better get there before the end of game one if you want to get a ticket....

Whoa....could be very cool. And/or crazy. Does the event have a formal name/website? (Any link accepted :D;))
I've got my old man hoops league (well, ok I'm one of three old men....) but would like to head down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom