U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 57 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just trying it on for size. :D:D:D. Just for clarification in case I send someone to the hospital, this is not real yet but manufactured.

upload_2017-9-7_12-55-14.png

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just trying it on for size. :D:D:D. Just for clarification in case I send someone to the hospital, this is not real yet but manufactured.

View attachment 24705
Are the Huskies recruiting Honesty Scott-Grayson or will it be Mikayla Coombs and/or AEH as the likely successor(s) to Crystal at PG?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are the Huskies recruiting Honesty Scott-Grayson or will it be Mikayla Coombs and/or AEH as the likely successor(s) to Crystal at PG?
We were looking at HSG at one point, but stopped. I think one issue was that her parent was "over involved" and demanding, which never works with Geno.

In addition to Charli, who has committed, the only remaining 2018 targets are CWill and ONO.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
We were looking at HSG at one point, but stopped. I think one issue was that her parent was "over involved" and demanding, which never works with Geno.

In addition to Charli, who has committed, the only remaining 2018 targets are CWill and ONO.
Thanks for the update.

Reaction Score

I don't think that either MC or AEH are technically point guards.............it may be point guard by committee ..........I would assume that UConn will look for a point guard from the stacked 2020 class to be brought in as Crystal's successor...............never understood the high rankings for HSG............seen her on tape and in person and while she clearly has ability, I have yet to see her play at a high level for an entire game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I .....I would assume that UConn will look for a point guard from the stacked 2020 class to be brought in as Crystal's successor.....

Yeah, this isn't real difficult. Danger is around through '19. Bueckers should be target #1 for 2020 and be a potential starter as a freshmen. A combo guard but one who can run the offense and command the floor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think that either MC or AEH are technically point guards...it may be point guard by committee .....I would assume that UConn will look for a point guard from the stacked 2020 class to be brought in as Crystal's successor.....never understood the high rankings for HSG..seen her on tape and in person and while she clearly has ability, I have yet to see her play at a high level for an entire game

You're right....point guards (or combo guards that can run the offense) are in surplus in 2020, much like off-guards/wings are taking root in 2019. (I just did a recruiting update for the ND site so these position-by-position breakdowns are still lodged in my brain! :D:eek:

Reaction Score
You're right....point guards (or combo guards that can run the offense) are in surplus in 2020, much like off-guards/wings are taking root in 2019. (I just did a recruiting update for the ND site so these position-by-position breakdowns are still lodged in my brain! :D:eek:

Dillon - Did you see that Dara Mabrey didn't even make the ESPN top 100..............Faith Masonius made it easily in 2019 class..........................somebody clearly dropped the ball..........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon - Did you see that Dara Mabrey didn't even make the ESPN top 100....Faith Masonius made it easily in 2019 class......somebody clearly dropped the ball.....

Yeah, there were a couple of head-scratchers in there. Besides Dara:
- Michelle Sidor isn't listed in the U19s (in Prospects Nation, she's #17)
- In the 2018s, Arieal Scott, good enough to be offered by Duke at one point, is now #100 in HG, while staying at #38 in PN.
- On the flip side -- also in 20198 -- Naz Hillmon, who had never previously made a list, zooms up to #55 in HG, while staying at #110 in PN. Well, better some recognition late by HG (who probably didn't want egg on their face), since Michigan offered her.

The thought hit me last night that the ratings are kind of like the old figure skating ratings...discount the high and low and average the middle. In this case, see where they are and figure somewhere in the middle, then see who is recruiting. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No reported interest by UCONN in Honesty Scott-Grayson for almost 2 years now. Coombs and AEH are more 2 guards than PG. In the 2019 class UCONN has expressed interest in Yasmeen Chang & Zia Cooke as potential replacements for Crystal at PG. The 2020 class is also knee deep with PGs ( Lith, Clark, Bueckers, Andrews, Paopao). Of course Crystal graduates before the class of 2020 comes on campus so a freshmen PG would have to be a major contributor on day 1. Sign me up for the Bueckers camp all day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No reported interest by UCONN in Honesty Scott-Grayson for almost 2 years now. Coombs and AEH are more 2 guards than PG. In the 2019 class UCONN has expressed interest in Yasmeen Chang & Zia Cooke as potential replacements for Crystal at PG. The 2020 class is also knee deep with PGs ( Lith, Clark, Bueckers, Andrews, Paopao). Of course Crystal graduates before the class of 2020 comes on campus so a freshmen PG would have to be a major contributor on day 1. Sign me up for the Bueckers camp all day.
While I would love to see Bueckers in a Husky uniform, on a team that runs a motion offense where everyone passes the ball and everyone shoots the ball, you don't really need a pg to run the offense. As an obvious example, last season UConn set the NCAA single season assist record with our center leading the team in assists.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
View attachment 24705
Question for the masses: What's behind the rise of Shakira Austin in ESPN ranking lately?
ESPN now has Austin on par with Charli Collier. Austin did not get an invite to USA basketball. She played for Boo Williams which probably means she played on the EYBL circuit this summer but I don't recall any buzz. She committed to MD, but that is still MD. ONO was hurt so I can understand Austin jumping her until she gets healthy but I don't understand her jumping players like Sedona Prince and NaLyssa Smith

Reaction Score
While I would love to see Bueckers in a Husky uniform, on a team that runs a motion offense where everyone passes the ball and everyone shoots the ball, you don't really need a pg to run the offense. As an obvious example, last season UConn set the NCAA single season assist record with our center leading the team in assists.

that's true...............it may not be a necessity but it felt awfully nice to have MoJeff bringing the ball up the court..........hopefully Crystal will bring some of that on a consistent basis in the next three seasons........Bueckers is such a multidimensional threat that just having her on the court will improve everyone else's game regardless of who has the ball............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Name the last successful motion offense that was run without a high caliber PG. Last year's center ( Gabby) was a former HS PG. Crystal Dangerfield & Kia Nurse are certainly high caliber PG. When Sue Bird graduated DT became the de facto PG and won a couple of Lieberman awards in the process.

Reaction Score
Question for the masses: What's behind the rise of Shakira Austin in ESPN ranking lately?
ESPN now has Austin on par with Charli Collier. Austin did not get an invite to USA basketball. She played for Boo Williams which probably means she played on the EYBL circuit this summer but I don't recall any buzz. She committed to MD, but that is still MD. ONO was hurt so I can understand Austin jumping her until she gets healthy but I don't understand her jumping players like Sedona Prince and NaLyssa Smith

I'll take a shot.............I think she made improvements at the offensive end this year..............she is a super athletic post and is most likely a better long term prospect then Prince.............she may be quicker then Charli but doesn't have her strength on the block.............her choice of Maryland came down to geography...............bottom line.............there's no accounting for any of these rankings

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Name the last successful motion offense that was run without a high caliber PG. Last year's center ( Gabby) was a former HS PG. Crystal Dangerfield & Kia Nurse are certainly high caliber PG. When Sue Bird graduated DT became the de facto PG and won a couple of Lieberman awards in the process.

UConn 2009-2010. UConn's offense is a little different in that it requires a point guard who is as comfortable without the ball as she is with the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn 2009-2010. UConn's offense is a little different in that it requires a point guard who is as comfortable without the ball as she is with the ball.
No doubt. That team 09-10 with Tina and Maya was not going to need outstanding PG play to win. Caroline and Lorin provided more than adequate PG play for that team. 2009 also happens to be the year Skylar Diggins decided to stay home and play college BB. It was PG Diggins running a motion offense that would prove to be a pain in UCONN's backside for the next 3 years until 2013 FF. @oldude said " you don't really need a pg to run the offense". I disagree the better your PG the better the motion offense runs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, the subjective element that you introduce is, "high caliber point guard." No team recruited Gabby out of HS as a pg. While I acknowledge that Bird, Mo & Danger certainly fit the pg mold, both Kia & DT are 2's, or combo guards at best.

What they all have in common is that they are smart, team oriented basketball players who share the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, the subjective element that you introduce is, "high caliber point guard." No team recruited Gabby out of HS as a pg. While I acknowledge that Bird, Mo & Danger certainly fit the pg mold, both Kia & DT are 2's, or combo guards at best. What they all have in common is that they are smart, team oriented basketball players who share the ball.
I'm not so sure abut that. In AAU and HS basketball and prior to the injury Gabby was a PG. It's hard to imagine that any team who was recruiting her as a sophomore as she is in this video was thinking of any position besides PG for Gabby.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure abut that. In AAU and HS basketball and prior to the injury Gabby was a PG. It's hard to imagine that any team who was recruiting her as a sophomore as she is in this video was thinking of any position besides PG for Gabby.

We're splitting hairs somewhat, but ESPN Hoopgurlz had the following evaluation of Gabby, who they listed as a G, as a HS senior:

Ultra-athletic combo guard handles, attacks, finishes in transition; consistently attacks rim; elevates on mid-range game to the arc; injury (knee, twice) in 2012, 2014; one of the most explosive performers and surprises in the class of 2014. (Olson)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We're splitting hairs somewhat, but ESPN Hoopgurlz had the following evaluation of Gabby, who they listed as a G, as a HS senior:

Ultra-athletic combo guard handles, attacks, finishes in transition; consistently attacks rim; elevates on mid-range game to the arc; injury (knee, twice) in 2012, 2014; one of the most explosive performers and surprises in the class of 2014. (Olson)

I think Gabby played a lot of PG on her highschool team because she was by far the best player and could more or less mimic one. I do not think she was what one would call a natural at the position though.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
that's true.....it may not be a necessity but it felt awfully nice to have MoJeff bringing the ball up the court.....hopefully Crystal will bring some of that on a consistent basis in the next three seasons...Bueckers is such a multidimensional threat that just having her on the court will improve everyone else's game regardless of who has the ball..
It seems as though many Bone Yard devotees would like to see Bueckers playing her collegiate basketball at UConn. Is there any indication that the attraction is mutual? Does Bueckers have any coaching or familial ties to UConn? I guess it's too much to hope that, like Dorfman, she's a legacy?

Reaction Score
It seems as though many Bone Yard devotees would like to see Bueckers playing her collegiate basketball at UConn. Is there any indication that the attraction is mutual? Does Bueckers have any coaching or familial ties to UConn? I guess it's too much to hope that, like Dorfman, she's a legacy?

I'm not aware of any family ties..........I think it's likely that she is aware of UConn and every other top program's interest in her...............after all she is a point guard prodigy

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Gabby played a lot of PG on her highschool team because she was by far the best player and could more or less mimic one. I do not think she was what one would call a natural at the position though.
I find it contradictory that a player could play 3 years in the post & lead UCONN in assists one year playing center and not be considered a "natural" PG.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I find it contradictory that a player could play 3 years in the post & lead UCONN in assists one year playing center and not be considered a "natural" PG.

She's an excellent passer but that in and of itself doesn't make her a point guard. A comparison that comes to mind is Chris Webber---terrific passer but still a power forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom