Tulsa Shock 0-5 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Shock 0-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think there's a chance they could go through the entire month of June without winning a game.

I think they made a mistake in not drafting Allysa Thomas. Phoenix blew them out on Friday night and they lost by 2 to Seattle last night.

Cambage not playing this year isn't helping either.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Check the losses.

Four of the five losses were by less than four points. Collectively, four losses were by a total of ten points. The team is improved and just need to finish close games.

Reaction Score
Check the schedule.

It's killer schedule in June. Phoenix looks like they're set to go on a roll. Chicago looks solid. LA looks like they'll have everyone healthy. NY are getting their stuff together.

The only good thing for them is that they don't have to play Minn.

They might squeeze a win against Seattle.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Thought they would have won a game already, but not having looked at games played, but I suspect Shock have played the toughest schedule so far this year. I am surprised Odyssey is not starting as Skylar seems to be playing more as a 2 guard with her increased scoring.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think there's a chance they could go through the entire month of June without winning a game.

I think they made a mistake in not drafting Allysa Thomas. Phoenix blew them out on Friday night and they lost by 2 to Seattle last night.

Cambage not playing this year isn't helping either.

I was actually surprised that they did not draft Thomas. Diggins has really come on strong this year and they could have used a big body like Thomas more than another 5-8 guard.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I was actually surprised that they did not draft Thomas. Diggins has really come on strong this year and they could have used a big body like Thomas more than another 5-8 guard.

Except with Johnson and Paris there, coupled with Thomas's inconsistent outside shot, would have crowded the paint much more and made the team less efficient offensively. Last year, Tulsa shot .405 percent from the floor; in five games, the Shock's shooting percentage is .456. And with Wiggins moving on, another ballhandler who could create her own shot was a need.

Reaction Score
They already had enough shooting guards.

They need more rebounding and someone with enough muscle to handle the inside. Johnson is good but she's rather slight. Paris would be an adequate center.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
They already had enough shooting guards.

They need more rebounding and someone with enough muscle to handle the inside. Johnson is good but she's rather slight. Paris would be an adequate center.

Except they did not. Wiggins moved on. Williams is a combo guard who is best as a bench player (ala Tan White). The team needed ballhandling and scoring, both of which Sims provides. And Tulsa is actually a better rebounding team this year as compared to last, even without Cambage.

Reaction Score
They have Hodges, who's been starting and Williams, who holds the league scoring record. Sims has had a very slow start so far this season.
They didn't look like a good rebounding team Friday night.

Close only counts in horseshoes...

Reaction Score
Tulsa is 0-5, but they have not been playing poorly to be 0-5. The couple of games I have seen indicate they are a team that will continue to improve and eventually win a number of games;

There are valid arguments to be made on both sides as to the prudence of Tulsa's recent draft choices. As with all choices it comes down to best player/athlete or need. Alyssa Thomas or Odyssey Sims? I am glad that choice was not up to me. If WNBA Finals history is a guide, then one goes with the guard. Impact centers/inside players? Finals MVPs? Lisa Leslie, Lauren Jackson, Yolanda Griffith, and Ruth Riley are your only inside players to be so named. Close games are won on the outside. Plays start on the outside. Not to say that rebounding is not important, it is absolutely essential. But, in close games, the ball is never going inside unless it is to finish at the basket.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
They have Hodges, who's been starting and Williams, who holds the league scoring record. Sims has had a very slow start so far this season.
They didn't look like a good rebounding team Friday night.

Close only counts in horseshoes...

And again, see my comment about Williams. She may have the scoring record, but she is a "Tan White player," in that she is a scoring combo guard off the bench who is best role is/only role should be off the bench. Williams, for her career, is a 37 precent shooter overall. Last year, she shot 39.7 percent from the floor, but if you take away her 51 point game, she shot 37 percent from the floor.

As for your rebounding assertion, you based it on one game. As I noted earlier, four losses (which would not include Friday's game against Phoenix), were by a total of ten points. You cannot use one game to extrapolate rebounding for the entire season, in the same way you cannot use Williams's one game as indicia of starting ability and not having a need at shooting guard.

As for Hodges, she has been in the league for 11 years. She is not the future; she is barely the present. For her career, she averages 6.0 ppg.

Sims is a potential superstar whom you are judging after five games...in the same way many judged Diggins based on her first year. Micro thinking vs. maco thinking; putting one game or a short sample size together to make your point ignores entire seasons, careers, etc., to say nothing of "potential/upside," which Sims has...and plenty of it.

As for Sims's slow start, by the way, she is only shooting 37.5 percent from the floor. But she is averaging 8.4 points, is shooting 46.2 percent from three (13th in the WNBA), and contributes 3.8 assists (13th in the WNBA) and 1.40 steals (20th in the WNBA) per game. And it is only five games, but if you wanted to extrapolate, neither Hodges nor Williams have ever come close to shooting 46.2 percent from three or notching 3.8 assists per game.

Reaction Score
She has looked bad the games I've watched her play. What can I say?

IMO- both of the last two coaches haven't used Williams well.

Reaction Score
Tulsa is 0-5, but they have not been playing poorly to be 0-5. The couple of games I have seen indicate they are a team that will continue to improve and eventually win a number of games;

There are valid arguments to be made on both sides as to the prudence of Tulsa's recent draft choices. As with all choices it comes down to best player/athlete or need. Alyssa Thomas or Odyssey Sims? I am glad that choice was not up to me. If WNBA Finals history is a guide, then one goes with the guard. Impact centers/inside players? Finals MVPs? Lisa Leslie, Lauren Jackson, Yolanda Griffith, and Ruth Riley are your only inside players to be so named. Close games are won on the outside. Plays start on the outside. Not to say that rebounding is not important, it is absolutely essential. But, in close games, the ball is never going inside unless it is to finish at the basket.

Probably cause most of them don't know how. The women's game hasn't developed that far yet.
I'd rather have a good center or forward take the last shot than a guard.

Reaction Score
My thread is really only about how the Shock will do in June and not really about how Sims will develop in the long run.

They're stuck with that draft choice in any case and may get another 1 or 2 next year but if they keep making bonehaed choices they'll still be in the same position.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She has looked bad the games I've watched her play. What can I say?

IMO- both of the last two coaches haven't used Williams well.

She was like this at Miami. She is a high volume shooter with generally low efficiency. Players like that, who can still create shots, are best as solid bench players, not starters.

Reaction Score
She was like this at Miami. She is a high volume shooter with generally low efficiency. Players like that, who can still create shots, are best as solid bench players, not starters.
I was talking about Sims. She missed some easy layups.

Reaction Score
Let's get this straight though. I hope the Shock win every game this month but I think the odds are against them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My thread is really only about how the Shock will do in June and not really about how Sims will develop in the long run.

They're stuck with that draft choice in any case and may get another 1 or 2 next year but if they keep making bonehaed choices they'll still be in the same position.

This thread is not about next year's draft choices, it is about how well the Shock will do in June.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was talking about Sims. She missed some easy layups.

Sims had one game (her first regular season WNBA game) where she went 1-11 from the field. Since her first game she is shooting 48% from 2-point range and 50% from 3-point range.

Her stats are not bad for a rookie. And you have to take into consideration that in the Phoenix game she played limited mintues due to illness, thus affecting her "per game" averages.
  • Ranks#13 in the WNBA in Assists Per Game (3.8)
  • Ranks #17 in the WNBA in Assists (19.0)
  • Ranks #13 in the WNBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (0.5)
  • Ranks #19 in the WNBA in Assists Per Turnover (1.7)
  • Ranks #20 in the WNBA in Steals Per Game (1.4)
  • Ranks #15 in the WNBA in Assists Per 40 Minutes (6.1)
  • Ranks #16 in the WNBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made (6.0)

Reaction Score
This thread is not about next year's draft choices, it is about how well the Shock will do in June.
If they don't start winning some games then they will be in the lottery next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Shock may have a tough early schedule and obviously they have zero wins, but they have been competitive and are a far cry from the doormat of a few years ago that won only a few times.

Reaction Score
OK, so let's hear some predictions on how the team will do in June.

Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and say that they'll turn things around and go 9-0 since they won't play Minn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom