Tulane sees financial benefit from UConn’s title run | The Boneyard

Tulane sees financial benefit from UConn’s title run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Leaving Conference USA for the highly competitive American Athletic Conference may or may not help the Tulane men on the basketball court, but there is no debate about its tremendous financial impact.
Every time national champion Connecticut pulled another upset on its way to the Final Four this year, the Green Wave’s cash registers went ka-ching. The way the system works, Tulane might receive more money from the AAC’s March Madness performance in 2014 than it would have gained from Conference USA’s past six NCAA tournaments combined if it had stayed in that league.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sports/8943582-171/tulane-sees-financial-benefit-from

pj

Reaction Score
Tulane, in exchange for the money, please schedule top 100 RPI teams out of conference to help the conference RPI.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to reading about how UCONN's 2014-15 National Championship helped to fund Tulsa's new basketball facility.

Reaction Score
The silver lining is this helps show our value to P5 conferences. UConn's run this year is worth $7.65 million over the next 6 years to the conference. If money is distributed the women too our value increases.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The same people telling me that the AAC is the best home for UConn are now complaining about Tulane. Got it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why does Tulane get ay money this year, they aren't in the conference yet. Do we get Tulsa NCAA money or ECU bowl money?

Reaction Score
Why does Tulane get ay money this year, they aren't in the conference yet. Do we get Tulsa NCAA money or ECU bowl money?
The NCAA tourney credits are paid out over 6 years, I would guess the first payment to the conference is not distributed until Tulane is a member. Similarly I believe our conference is receiving the credits that cuse and Pitt earned the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
The same people telling me that the AAC is the best home for UConn are now complaining about Tulane. Got it.

The same complaint would be made about Depaul, St. John's, or Seton Hall if we joined the Big East. UConn won 6 games getting "units" for 5. The Big East went 2-4.

Xavier-lost in the First Four
Creighton- lost in the round of 32
Villanova- lost in the round of 32
Providence- lost in the round of 64

Reaction Score
Your not supposed to say that Wing. The Big East is UConn's salvation and the AAC is its damnation. Truth is, UConn is the bell cow in either league. At least in this , we have a home for our football team, though Nelson cares little about that.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The NCAA tourney credits are paid out over 6 years, I would guess the first payment to the conference is not distributed until Tulane is a member. Similarly I believe our conference is receiving the credits that cuse and Pitt earned the last 5 years.

Still, I was pretty sure that there isn't a perfect mirror regarding credits - that you leave behind what you earn, but don't collect for years you didn't participate.

Reaction Score
Still, I was pretty sure that there isn't a perfect mirror regarding credits - that you leave behind what you earn, but don't collect for years you didn't participate.
Years you didn't participate in the conference? This could be true. I remember a while ago ECU, Memphis and some of the other incoming members wanting a share of the exit fees from the destruction of the Big East and I think there was some deal that was cut for UCONN, USF and Cincy to share some of the pot with the others. Could sharing NCAA credits earned before schools joined the conference be a part of that deal. Ill have to do some research and see if I can find anything on that deal. I am just throwing out an idea because it sounds like Tulane is getting paid for watching the tourney from their couch.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to reading about how UCONN's 2014-15 National Championship helped to fund Tulsa's new basketball facility.
I'm looking forward to reading how UCONN's 2015-16 Nat'l Championship broke the B1G's streak of not winning a championship and how the 5 credits from that instantly started paying off the invite.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tulane has a pretty nice zoo right across the street.

Reaction Score
Unless this was part of the incentive ,Tulane would normally get zero money from accrued NCAA credits earned while not in the conference.
Tulsa credits will all go to CUSA as the credits are the propery of the conference not the school.
There where an estimated 40mm in accrued credits, including those earned by Pitt,GT,Cuse,Louisville,and Marquette. To my knowledge the NBE got the name ,the tourny no exit fee,and a lucrative contract.
UConn,USF,and Cinn, probably agreed to an equal distribution of these credits,partly because the new schools forfeited their old credits and the cash infusion was necessary to kick start the new conference. In retrospect we didn't 't give up anything in fact we increased our payout as the conference membership went from 16 to 10. There was also an estimated 60-65 main exit fees which was equally distributed among the 3 survivors. UConn should be getting close to 10Mm annually from the AAC for the next 4 years.after which there is a huge drop off.
I think the AAC leadership is banking on a significant increase in the next contract to somewhat offset this drop..That huge payday becomes more viable with each continued UConn sucess.
ESPN will be better served by getting UConn out of this conference than giving the entire AAC a huge bump. If we go to P5 conference it will because of money.
No one ever thought that UConn would survive. They gambled and lost.
If UConn goes to a new conference our credits will stay with the AAC. Whether we share in existing conference credits would be part of the agreement to join.
UConn could defer their credits or amortized distribution to the league in lieu of an exit fee.

Reaction Score
Here is what Tulane and ECU should get.

Not a dime.

That kind of thinking - from others - is what has us (and dozens and dozens of other division 1A/BCS/FBS athletic departments as not having any access to the big football money.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
That kind of thinking - from others - is what has us (and dozens and dozens of other division 1A/BCS/FBS athletic departments as not having any access to the big football money.

Just saying.

Not really. You are dead wrong.

They weren't in the conference this season. It's as simple as that.

Reaction Score
Not really. You are dead wrong.

They weren't in the conference this season. It's as simple as that.

True. I concede that for sure - BUT

....if you think that the old-timers at Oklahoma, were NOT thinking the same thing about money and college football money going to UCONN when we were matched up in the Fiesta Bowl - then I've got a bridge in NYC to sell you.

Reaction Score
True. I concede that for sure - BUT

....if you think that the old-timers at Oklahoma, were NOT thinking the same thing about money and college football money going to UCONN when we were matched up in the Fiesta Bowl - then I've got a bridge in NYC to sell you.

Well, UConn played in that game.

Tulane isn't even in the conference yet. It's the very height of absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom