Tulane and Tulsa...our AAC buddies.... | The Boneyard

Tulane and Tulsa...our AAC buddies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree with both of you. At the start of the year I thought for sure UCONN and USF, and then maybe Temple might get a ticket to the big dance. Temple is 2-1 with a 10 point loss to Rutgers. They also play Villanova, FSU and Seton Hall. They need to win some of those games as well as the rest of their OOC if thy want to dance. BTW Tulsa played KSU close - lost by 12, but they are 1-3.

On the flip side, ECU is 5-0, Cinci is 3-0, and Tulane/Memphis are 3-1. I hope we get 3 into the NCAA's, and then have 3-4 who make the NIT.

Reaction Score
took down LSU and Arkansas last night....yikes! Maybe a tad more depth in the conference this year than last.
I'm from New Orleans, and am sufficiently lucky to reside part-time there and part-time in CT. (I can speak a bit about Tulane's program, not Tulsa's). It would be hard to adequately describe the divergent climate for WCBB there, where it hardly registers on the public-consciousness radar, and here, where it engenders such rabid passion. If you go to NOLA.com, the website for the local New Orleans newspaper, I'd defy you to find so much as a single article on the big victory you correctly reference over LSU. Given the general environment of indifference, and the resultant effect on recruiting, one can only stand back in admiration of the job that the coach, Lisa Stockton, has done down there to give the program any relevance whatsoever. Sadly, this is the reality in many parts of the country, which makes us lucky to be UConn fans, but, I hope, sympathetic toward the realities that most teams face.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure how much the local media even matters anymore for a lot of teams, especially with the players of today probably not reading newspapers much at all and just hooking into the national online info sources. They could likely care less if the local media is just consumed by the huge success of the Tulane and LSU football teams.

The WCBB AAC arrived last year in its second season, just as AAC football is having a very nice year this fall. Apologies to the SEC fans who visit here but their conference has been on the downturn for a long time, and games like Tulsa's road win over Arkansas and Tulane's home win over LSU are no longer a surprise. Two years ago when the Razorbacks played and won 13 straight OOC games against overmatched teams with 12 of them at home, Tulsa lost that game to Ark by 38 points. Two years later after a better diet in the AAC, it's now the Golden Hurricane that's kicking hog butt.

But of course it will be years down the road before the SEC posters and even many BYers will stop referring to the high school level play of AAC teams.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Lisa Stockton is an excellent coach. Her success varies based on recruiting, which is variable, of course, but they were never "Little Sisters".

Tulsa, OTH, does not have a strong track record. I am (mildly) surprised that Arkansas had as good a season as they had last year, they have always been a team that gets fat on the pre-season. Good for them, can't stand SEC teams.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not sure how much the local media even matters anymore for a lot of teams, especially with the players of today probably not reading newspapers much at all and just hooking into the national online info sources. They could likely care less if the local media is just consumed by the huge success of the Tulane and LSU football teams.

The WCBB AAC arrived last year in its second season, just as AAC football is having a very nice year this fall. Apologies to the SEC fans who visit here but their conference has been on the downturn for a long time, and games like Tulsa's road win over Arkansas and Tulane's home win over LSU are no longer a surprise. Two years ago when the Razorbacks played and won 13 straight OOC games against overmatched teams with 12 of them at home, Tulsa lost that game to Ark by 38 points. Two years later after a better diet in the AAC, it's now the Golden Hurricane that's kicking hog butt.

But of course it will be years down the road before the SEC posters and even many BYers will stop referring to the high school level play of AAC teams.
Sounds like a real rump roast...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
May need to reassess the AAC strength as they've had a horrible few days.

Cincinnati lost to Michigan St by 40.

Memphis lost to Arkansas Little-Rock.

Tulane lost to Green Bay by 21.

Temple lost to.....Quinnipiac yesterday.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is not going to be smooth sailing for AAC teams, but I do like what I am seeing this year - more wins and more competitive losses. Good OP

Reaction Score
Like I said before, when folks were crying about UConn needing to leave the AAC, I hope UConn stays in the AAC and helps to turn the AAC into a power conference. East Carolina got the message. I believe so did South Florida. The rest of the conference will catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom