Tuck, Chong and Stokes.... | The Boneyard

Tuck, Chong and Stokes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We heard Geno's comments on Tuck in the presser... "Tuck is her own worst enemy" and "like she drank 10 Red Bulls".

But what can we surmise about Chong (5 min) and Stokes (8 min)? Was Chong overwhelmed by the event? Is Kiah back in the dog house?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We heard Geno's comments on Tuck in the presser... "Tuck is her own worst enemy" and "like she drank 10 Red Bulls".

But what can we surmise about Chong (5 min) and Stokes (8 min)? Was Chong overwhelmed by the event? Is Kiah back in the dog house?
Well first off, against the elite teams (and Duke is an elite team even though the score may not indicate that), Geno always shortens his bench. Usually only goes about 7-8 deep with significant minutes in those games.

But yes, Chong did look a little overwhelmed. No biggie, she'll have a couple games like that. She's a freshmen and not all the way up to an elite college level, yet. Stokes, well we've heard Geno hasn't been overly impressed with her the past week or so. Although she did grab 5 rebounds in 8 minutes, so she made herself useful. And Dolson and Stewart (and KML) were playing really well, and not in foul trouble, so there was not a lot of need for Stokes. It's always going to be hard for Stokes to dislodge playing time from Dolson, Stewart and KML. With KML out, there was a lot more to go around, now not so much.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's not clear that Saniya was overwhelmed, but she did look a little nervous. I pointed out in another thread that Kelly Faris played only 2 mins against Duke at CIS as a freshman. I thought Stokes gave good minutes while in there (CD said that too), but the team is just so much better offensively with Stef and Stewart on the floor.

I didn't think Banks played well. She looked nervous and tentative.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I read yesterday that Geno had been quoted saying he was disappointed in Stokes' recent practices. I haven't seen the exact quote yet. But if she hadn't practiced well (ankle issues notwithstanding), it's not surprising Geno didn't play her much.

In any case, the way the game started out it looked like Stef and Stewie were policing the interior well enough early on. IIRC Kiah got the call when we let Duke get several offensive boards in a row. When called upon, Kiah did snare 5 boards in 7 minutes, so she at least took care of the glass while she was in!

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I pointed out in another thread that Kelly Faris played only 2 mins against Duke at CIS as a freshman.

IIRC, that was Geno's 'message' game for Kelly. Can't recall precisely what the issue was but after the game he asked her "So, did you like sitting on the bench?"

Reaction Score
When Duke made a run and got it down to 65-52 with 7:44 remaining
in the 2nd half, Geno called timeout and put Stokes in the game. She did
not score but left the game at 3:18 with the score 76-52. Thats an 11-0 run
while she was in the game. He put her in the game when Duke started
getting inside for some easy scores. I think just her presence in there changed
things even though she did not score. Her defensive effort was very good.
Kia will be a big part of this team next yr. especially if A'sia goes elsewhere.
She needs to continue to improve here scoring ability and when she becomes
a reliable scorer she will be a steal in the WNBA draft. I remember that it took
Tina Charles 2 1/2 yrs to reach that point with Geno. A pump fake here or there
would help Kia get some points on the board. I think when we really need
her next year she will be fine. Go Huskies!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's not clear that Saniya was overwhelmed, but she did look a little nervous. I pointed out in another thread that Kelly Faris played only 2 mins against Duke at CIS as a freshman. I thought Stokes gave good minutes while in there (CD said that too), but the team is just so much better offensively with Stef and Stewart on the floor.

I didn't think Banks played well. She looked nervous and tentative.

If you watched the Duke pregame show stream, for a while there UConn was warming up behind them and Banks had a lot of tension in her face. I don't necessarily attribute it to nerves; she could have felt off and it was showing in warm ups - it happens.

Reaction Score
If you watched the Duke pregame show stream, for a while there UConn was warming up behind them and Banks had a lot of tension in her face. I don't necessarily attribute it to nerves; she could have felt off and it was showing in warm ups - it happens.

Very suspicious. Possible rumblings from her knee? I know we haven't heard there is an issue, but all athletes lie through their teeth about injuries.
I had the same suspicions about Tuck earlier when she put her brace back on "for precautionary reasons".

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Rich Elliot:

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis certainly thrived in her return from injury tonight against No. 2 Duke. Morgan Tuck, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on her right knee Nov. 12 and had also missed the last eight games, was not as fortunate.

Tuck had one assist, two turnovers and one foul in nine minutes (three in the second half). She did attempt a shot from the field or from the free throw line.

“She’s an unbelievably gifted player who sometimes is her own worst enemy,’’ UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “She tries so hard to be so good at everything and when you haven’t played in five weeks … (Assistant coach) Marisa (Moseley) said it before the game today. She said, `Watch out for Tuck because she’s going to be like …’ On 10 Red Bulls. Not that we drink that stuff, but that’s what it looked like. We’re a Coke school. We drink Coke, Diet Coke. And Dunkin Donuts. We’re a Dunkin Donuts school. Connecticut runs on Dunkin.’’

Reaction Score
I read yesterday that Geno had been quoted saying he was disappointed in Stokes' recent practices. I haven't seen the exact quote yet. But if hadn't practiced well (ankle issues notwithstanding), it's not surprising Geno didn't play her much.

In any case, the way the game started out it looked like Stef and Stewie were policing the interior well enough early on. IIRC Kiah got the call when we let Duke get several offensive boards in a row. When called upon, Kiah did snare 5 boards in 7 minutes, so she at least took care of the glass while she was in!

We all have these expectations and hopes about Kiah. But 2&1/2 years and still issues in practices? Sounds like its time to lower expectations about her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I also watched the pregame show and said to myself that Saniya didn't appear to be herself during the warmups. It was almost like she didn't know what to do and was deferring to others. She was only on for a few seconds, so maybe it wasn't reflective on how she acted during the complete warmup period.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Kiah had 5 rebounds in 8 minutes...not good enoguh for some I guess. Well, it seems that too many BoneYarders just make stuff up, then discuss it as real and fact.

Banks is tense, Chong is is scared, Kiah is in doghouse...yadda yadda yadda. Baloney, pure fabricated baloney, as I see it. One thing for sure, many here need to be negative. Now that is intersting in and of itself.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kiah had 5 rebounds in 8 minutes...not good enoguh for some I guess. Well, it seems that too many BoneYarders just make stuff up, then discuss it as real and fact.

Banks is tense, Chong is is scared, Kiah is in doghouse...yadda yadda yadda. Baloney, pure fabricated baloney, as I see it. One thing for sure, many here need to be negative. Now that is intersting in and of itself.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BALONEY.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You are right about Kiah. But Ms. Banks would freely admit she did not play anywhere near her potential. There is nothing much to say about Saniya's limited minutes. However, one of the things that makes this the Boneyard and we have had a diminishing quantity of it, is a willingness to explore player and team short comings. We have the capacity to discuss such things civilly and intelligently. Unsupported sniping is best left elsewhere.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not many, just Sunny... geesh, let's stop posting and let him do his thing cause he's always right. weeks ahead of the news

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You are right about Kiah. But Ms. Banks would freely admit she did not play anywhere near her potential. There is nothing much to say about Saniya's limited minutes. However, one of the things that makes this the Boneyard and we have had a diminishing quantity of it, is a willingness to explore player and team short comings. We have the capacity to discuss such things civilly and intelligently. Unsupported sniping is best left elsewhere.

Not sure what you are saying here, but I stand by my post.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, if players can be called out, so can BoneYarders.

Not sure whay you are saying here, but I stand by my post.

I guess my post was too nuanced :rolleyes:. Just saying we should expect positions to be supported, but not jump ugly when someone takes something and stretches it a bit. By the way, what is your take on Bria H's night last night?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I guess my post was too nuanced :rolleyes:. Just saying we should expect positions to be supported, but not jump ugly when someone takes something and stretches it a bit. By the way, what is your take on Bria H's night last night?

Show me where I jumped ugly...if I did, I will delete and change my "weighs"...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Show me where I jumped ugly...if I did, I will delete and change my "weighs"...

Think you could find better words than "pure fabricated baloney", particularly when you do not advance any facts to support that assertion. Chong put up 0s across the board in 5 minutes and B Banks did not so much in 17, so people may want to speculate about that. I think Kiah was just fine. I would not read much in to any of that because you go with your hot hands.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Think you could find better words than "pure fabricated baloney", particularly when you do not advance any facts to support that assertion. Chong put up 0s across the board in 5 minutes and B Banks did not so much in 17, so people may want to speculate about that. I think Kiah was just fine. I would not read much in to any of that because you go with your hot hands.

I kind of like Baloney, seems to me to get to the meat of the scared-tense-doghouse characterizations...

Here's my proof...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well, it seems that too many BoneYarders just make stuff up, then discuss it as real and fact.

Ozz, Do I have your permission to use that in my tag line? (with attribution of course)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Kiah is in doghouse...yadda yadda yadda. Baloney, pure fabricated baloney, as I see it. One thing for sure, many here need to be negative. Now that is intersting in and of itself.
Well that was not "made up" by us. It was put out by one of the Horde that Geno was not happy with Stokes in practice recently (this last week). Maybe they (he) made it up, but we didn't.

Banks is tense, Chong is is scared,
Not sure about tense or scared, but they certainly didn't play like they have been lately. To me Chong did look a little overwhelmed. Not sure about Banks. Looked like she was playing ok, but maybe just not getting much accomplished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom