Travel problems... | The Boneyard

Travel problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's a mess out there. Doty stuck in Minny after 8 hr wait in Philly. John A. stuck in Detroit. Jim Fuller stuck in Baltimore. Wonder if the team made it back?

HGN

Reaction Score
I sure hope so Pap.........With all the delays and cancellations in the country its possible they got delayed in Memphis.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Anyway, they're not playing Notre Dame this weekend

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller tweeting from practice, so guess they got back safely to UConn. John A, however, seems to still be stuck in Detroit airport since yesterday. A victim of the deep freeze. Hope he makes it back for the game tomorrow!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tonight's Indiana at Purdue (WBB) game postponed. Currently snowing and 11 degrees in W. Lafayette.

Reaction Score
I sure hope so Pap....With all the delays and cancellations in the country its possible they got delayed in Memphis.

Shouldn't have been a problem - the weather was gorgeous on Saturday - at least for flying; I went from Nashville to New York earlier that same afternoon. The cold weather was coming on Sunday but I believe during the game they mentioned that the team was getting out by 6:00 pm that night, well ahead of any weather issues.

And a minor clarification on Altavilla's post - the fuel isn't frozen, the trucks are. Jet fuel comes in different variations (A, A-1, JP-5, etc.) but all have a freezing point of -40°C or lower - remember, the fuel is mostly carried in the wings, which are exposed to temperatures of as much as -65°C at typical cruising altitudes. The temperature in Chicago is "only" about -25°C (around -10°F) which is not an unusual temperature for places like Montreal or Fargo this time of year.

On the other hand the hydraulic and transmission oils in the trucks, especially in the PTO (power take off - transmission to the fuel pumps) as well as the pumps at the fuel farm can freeze as can any water in the nozzles - Friday night in Chicago, the temperature was around +15°F) with high winds and blowing snow - that all melted into the joints and swivels and switches on Saturday and refroze hard last night. There were mornings where we would come to work and start up the trucks but be unable to drive them because the gear shifts were frozen in place.

Anyway, the point is that you don't need to ever be worried about the fuel "freezing" - if they can get it into the plane, you're safe to fly; the gas won't freeze into some kind of block of ice. The problem is with pumping equipment, not the fuel itself.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Doors on my Amtrak train down to and up from (Friday/Sunday) were frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom