Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
Right....so the best players in the P5 stay with the elite programs. Those same elite programs will have the ability to entice top proven talent away from the lower echelon P5 programs and G5 programs. So explain to me again how this drives parity?
Can we all agree that the most important position on the field is QB? Look at what is happening to P5 QBs. The 4* kid that is not starting is transferring. For schools like UConn, they are getting much easier access to higher rated QBs than ever before. Better QB play means better team.

Reaction Score
The portal has been around a few years now, no? There’s data out there for how it’s being used so while I know that the portal may be brand new to our program since our old coach didn’t use it we can do more than speculate how it will effect us. Can we expect to lose good players to better programs? Yes it will happen some. But no reason to think it’s gonna be a mass exodus. No reason it shouldn’t be a net positive

Reaction Score
Can we all agree that the most important position on the field is QB? Look at what is happening to P5 QBs. The 4* kid that is not starting is transferring. For schools like UConn, they are getting much easier access to higher rated QBs than ever before. Better QB play means better team.
Agree, for a program like UCONN we will have access to some talent that we probably could not recruit directly out of high school.

But the idea that this will drive parity in college football is not something that makes sense to me. That QB couldn't get on the field because he wasn't good enough, so UCONN and a whole bunch of other lower level programs are going to have a heck of a time competing with the elite programs. Further, with the portal, now it's easier for those elite programs to poach talent that gets proven out on the field. There will be about 30-40 programs that will amass the best talent......and pay to retain it.

Reaction Score
The portal has been around a few years now, no? There’s data out there for how it’s being used so while I know that the portal may be brand new to our program since our old coach didn’t use it we can do more than speculate how it will effect us. Can we expect to lose good players to better programs? Yes it will happen some. But no reason to think it’s gonna be a mass exodus. No reason it shouldn’t be a net positive
It’s not the existence of the portal it is the change in rules for it and NIL which change how it is used by programs

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wish the kid the best. I had to check if he already committed to Nebraska with the way many of you are talking. Lol!

For all we know, Mora and Nate had a conversation and it was agreed that it was best for both to go separate ways. Maybe Mora knows he has another RB in the works in the portal and Carter knew it too. That's how I'm going to look at this.

I trust Mora will get this right. For as much as everyone wants to hate the portal, myself included, we have a coach who actually uses it to our advantage. So someone's loss, even if it's a high recruit who wants PT somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Preach... Opportunity is knocking for us to go grab a P5 level QB through the portal again... Last time we had one was when we had Zach Frazer... Let that sink in for a minute folks... I think we've been so conditioned with being a low level, losing FBS program for so long that our fanbase on this board seems to talk themselves into believing we don't deserve to get better... Fact is we deserve better... And we have the resources now (FINALLY) to make that happen...

Reaction Score
Right....so the best players in the P5 stay with the elite programs. Those same elite programs will have the ability to entice top proven talent away from the lower echelon P5 programs and G5 programs. So explain to me again how this drives parity?
They also bring in elite freshman talent each year. Some of it works out. Some not so much. Clemson is losing its 2-year starter because they had a freshman qb who they think is better and an incoming freshman they think is going to be even better than the him. Notre Dame’s starter who went 8-2 is in the portal because they have at least 3 guys they think will be better next year. Programs like UConn and most schools to be honest, fall somewhere below that. BC has a qb they think might be better than the starter for most of the year, so he is moving on. But they don’t have 2 or 3. UConn might have a guy or bring in a guy they rate better than an incumbent. In which case that one most likely will move on. And it is true that a few players will move up, or move laterally for pt. But I read that even most P5 to P5 transfers are typically downward. More like Ohio State to Syracuse than Ohio State to Alabama. On occasion there is a high profile lateral move or upward move but those are the exception.

Reaction Score
La
We were talking about the portal. The main playoff teams, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio St., rarely use the portal. They are getting their players from high school.
This is not true. Bama has gone there, primarily for skill/speed. tOSU - Justin fields, period. Michigan patched holes. They don’t need 20 guys like we did this year, but they use it like a pro team uses free agency - plugging holes where needed.

For the record, I think the portal can help by allowing us to target the backups at the rich schools, while recognizing we are not the bottom of barrel and that there are plenty of poorer schools we can poach for talent.

The real math plays out if it turns out our portal replacements are less effective than they were this year.

A side note, the flurry of offers going out this week suggests we are losing more than Nate.

Reaction Score
We did not get an overwhelming amount of help from the portal. We were net winners because we had so little of proven quality to lose.

Obviously we'll see how this will play out, but this came from the power schools. YOu think they did it to help us or to help themselves? And if you think the latter, don't you think the odds are fairly good that they had an idea how to accomplish what they wanted to?
They want to recruit directly off the rosters of the "lesser" schools.

Reaction Score
La

This is not true. Bama has gone there, primarily for skill/speed. tOSU - Justin fields, period. Michigan patched holes. They don’t need 20 guys like we did this year, but they use it like a pro team uses free agency - plugging holes where needed.

For the record, I think the portal can help by allowing us to target the backups at the rich schools, while recognizing we are not the bottom of barrel and that there are plenty of poorer schools we can poach for talent.

The real math plays out if it turns out our portal replacements are less effective than they were this year.

A side note, the flurry of offers going out this week suggests we are losing more than Nate.
We definitely need more at TE... Joly was great as a pass catcher, but we kinda struggled there otherwise I think... Other than that, the only other positions we've offered so far are RB (most recent), OL, LB... and we do need help at LB.. we're losing 3 guys at that level, 2 of which who contributed a ton on the field (Swenson & Buoyer Randle)... OL always seems to have turnover as well, so no surprise there

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My guess is that this is what happens when your team is actually good? Don't recall ever worrying about who we might lose to the portal. Haven't learned how to just be ok with losing a player who played big minutes and then replace with another who will start this year.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to get very expensive to have a team that competes for championships… i think the top schools are going to start cheating if they are not already with the NIL… 4 star recruit might get a million for his services… a 5 star maybe 2 million….the big 10 will be able to pay that … but can the acc?

Reaction Score
Agree, for a program like UCONN we will have access to some talent that we probably could not recruit directly out of high school.

But the idea that this will drive parity in college football is not something that makes sense to me. That QB couldn't get on the field because he wasn't good enough, so UCONN and a whole bunch of other lower level programs are going to have a heck of a time competing with the elite programs. Further, with the portal, now it's easier for those elite programs to poach talent that gets proven out on the field. There will be about 30-40 programs that will amass the best talent......and pay to retain it.

It’s not going to drive parity. It will drive stratification.

Any G5 school or low end P5 with any recruit that turns out to be good enough to be P5 standout is going to get contacting by dozens of P5 assistant coaches. Many of them will have promises of glory and Name, Image and Likeness deals well before they even enter the portal.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to get very expensive to have a team that competes for championships… i think the top schools are going to start cheating if they are not already with the NIL… 4 star recruit might get a million for his services… a 5 star maybe 2 million….the big 10 will be able to pay that … but can the acc?
There is no need to cheat as it is legal and top players are already getting those numbers.

Reaction Score
The point I was making is that Ohio St., Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson are not focused on the portal. They are focused on recruiting the 5* and 4* HS kids. Here are the scholarship transfers (not including a couple of JUCOs) on the rosters:

Alabama: 4
Clemson: 0
Ohio St.: 3
Georgia: 2
Michigan: 4

Reaction Score
The Portal and NIL are going to help Coach Prime Time and 1-11 Boulder. They already have over 200 transfers knocking on their door.... including 4 & 5 Star recruits along with millions of $$ in NIL $. Every kid that has entered the portal since yesterday I think is headed to Boulder.

Reaction Score
UConn is not even close to a "second group" just outside of top 10-15 for boosters. Donors are dropping huge money on NIL and facilities all over P5 and G5 and below. Hell one donor dropped $60 million on the Binghamton baseball field.
I agree that donors are spending money at many schools, but there is proof that UConn has very big donors based on the private facilities that UConn has built. NIL has existed for a few years now and our programs are doing very well. We have figured it out as well as most schools so far.

Also, the future of college athletics is very clearly that each school gets an individual pay out from TV based on the value that they bring. Conferences will exist, but there's no way that in the future Ohio State and Northwestern are each getting the same payout and UConn gets nothing. It will be something like Ohio State getting $150 million, UConn $75 million, and Northwestern $25 million. All of the big boys want this and it could be a change in college athletics that finally benefits UConn compared to their current situation.

Be optimistic because things are about to turn around for UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree that donors are spending money at many schools, but there is proof that UConn has very big donors based on the private facilities that UConn has built. NIL has existed for a few years now and our programs are doing very well. We have figured it out as well as most schools so far.

Also, the future of college athletics is very clearly that each school gets an individual pay out from TV based on the value that they bring. Conferences will exist, but there's no way that in the future Ohio State and Northwestern are each getting the same payout and UConn gets nothing. It will be something like Ohio State getting $150 million, UConn $75 million, and Northwestern $25 million. All of the big boys want this and it could be a change in college athletics that finally benefits UConn compared to their current situation.

Be optimistic because things are about to turn around for UConn.
You obviously don't follow this stuff. UConn is way way way behind in NIL. These collectives that were announced have been around for years at other schools including FCS and lower. A lot of that is because of state legislation.

I am also not sure what world you are living in about the payouts, that is just complete dreamland it is insane. Northwestern which currently has a deal that pays out 20 times what we get in media rights is suddenly going to be making a third of us? Yeah, sure.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Always has been. It now just more (not all) out in the open. The NCAA gave up any pretense of amateurism or policing schools or looking out for the "student athletes." Even the wild west had a sheriff. This is complete anarchy, Lord of the Flies type stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think this take is wrong. Players are going to want to get on the field, and the transfer portal enables that. How many third year 4 stars are going to stick around if they have not seen the field yet outside of garbage time?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really? How come the same five or six schools are the in the playoff EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

Is that because the talent is being spread out?

The current transfer rules are 2 years old. But let's use 2018 as an example of why NIL and transfer portal result in consolidation of talent at Alabama despite Alabama having one of its worst seasons in a decade and seemingly on the decline.

Reaction Score
This sucks, but it is the way that the powers-that-be have slowly pointed the direction of college athletics.

Most of these athletes would have minimal compensatory value but for the name of the school, its fan base and the tv money that watch them. So long as schools tolerate that an offensive lineman is going to make more than the school president at Texas A&M, all the while receiving free tuition, room and board and a stipend to boot, the show will go on. I've said it before, I don't begrudge any athlete trying to maximize his personal situation at the expense of the team. At the same time, the kids that get forced out prematurely when a portal transfer comes in, that sucks, but it is the way now. Primetime and Colorado are the new normal. These guys are hired guns. The coaches, the players, everybody. So long as they wear the UConn uniform I'll root for them. Just because amateurism is dead doesn't mean the show doesn't go on, it just goes on in a bit more tawdry, yet open, manner. When the madness stops, you'll see the top 40 or 50 schools standing tall with their fists of money, ruling over the NFL-lite realm bearing the "team brought to you by the University of Alabama" or "the team brought to you by University of Southern California". UConn is in a better position than almost any other G5 school, and a handful of P5 cellar dwellers, so hopefully our ride continues for a bit longer.

Reaction Score
I think this take is wrong. Players are going to want to get on the field, and the transfer portal enables that. How many third year 4 stars are going to stick around if they have not seen the field yet outside of garbage time?

Not to mention, who is going to pay someone NIL money out of their own pocket to keep them around if they're not getting on the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom