Transfer thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you go back and watch some of UConn's games when they had ten good players in the early part of the 2000's, you will see Geno substituted freely and played more than just seven players.
You don't have to go back that far.
The 2013-14 team had the following players coming off the bench:
Saniya Chong
Brianna Banks
Morgan Tuck
Kaih Stokes
This was at a time when UCONN had 5 starters that were or would become AA players which is in stark contrast to the current UCONN roster.

Reaction Score
I believe next season will see the unveiling of Griffin's outside shot. Her mid range and three point shot.

. . . and we all hope that unveiling will be more successful than Ford's unveiling of the Edsel.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
. . . and we all hope that unveiling will be more successful than Ford's unveiling of the Edsel.
Griffin is a D1 ball player. Edsel was not a top level car. Ugly, ugly, ugly.:confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Griffin is a D1 ball player. Edsel was not a top level car. Ugly, ugly, ugly.:confused:

Ugly indeed!! The Edsel was one of the biggest mistakes ford has ever made. The public didn't really understand this bizarrely-styled, badly-named, poorly-conceived car either. Whatever small chance of success the Edsel had when it debuted in 1958 was killed by an economic recession. To their credit, Ford executives realized how much of a failure they had on their hands, killing the Edsel brand at the end of 1959. :confused:

Reaction Score
Lucy Cochrane is following UConn Women’s Basketball on her instagram in case anyone thinks that means anything
If Lucy transfer to UConn does she have to sit for one year?

Reaction Score
Who is Lucy Cochrane....any background would be appreciated?
EUGENE — Oregon women’s basketball is losing another one of its freshman.

Lucy Cochrane, who averaged 1.4 points and 1.2 rebounds in 6.6 minutes per games off the bench this season, entered the transfer portal and is leaving UO, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

A 6-foot-5 forward from Melbourne, Australia, Cochrane appeared in 18 games for the No. 2 Ducks, shooting 62.5 percent from the field. She missed several games due to an unspecified injury..

Reaction Score
A wicked tall (6'6"ish) Aussie who played about 6-7 minutes a game for Oregon this past year who is in the transfer portal. Has potential but didn't put up great numbers though was boring on Oregon bench.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I want to keep making the case that UCONN should take a look at Lucy Cochrane Australian transfer from Oregon.
She is tall 6'6" ish capable of playing center or power forward.
She is a good passer from the high post on kickouts and post entry.
She plays very well along side another big as with Ezi from this 2017 video.
She did not get many minutes at Oregon because Oregon was stacked, In her minutes she was productive and shot 62%.
She is very mobile for those that insist that UCONN is going uptempo next season.
She has a nice mid range game for the 8-12 footer and shows the ability to extend that range on occasion.
What I like best is that she plays tall and uses every inch of her height to her advantage on rebounds, on defense blocking shots and on the looks she get from the high post.
Being a defensive bigot I really really like the defense sequence that start at the 25 sec mark of this video where Lucy picks up the point guard at the top of the key stay with her all the way to the basket comes away with the block and the ball-That is elite defense for any player especially a big.
Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I hope we also take a strong look at her. I'm not sure what happened at OR during her freshman year because she has played really well on her national team and against US players. Maybe there was some getting use to being in the US or some chemistry issues. You just don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Edwards at forward is a must for a national championship in the 2020-21 season. She will rebound and defend beyond her freshman status. She will not average 15 points per game. However, Edwards will be enough of a scoring threat to free Olivia from double teams. Thus allowing Olivia to average 17-19 points per game. With the passing abilities of the guards and Olivia I see Edwards after January 15 averaging 7 to 10 points per game.
Olivia is not going to to average 17 PPG. Tina Charles only reached 17 PPG once. Stefanie Dolson's highest average was 13.6 PPG.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope we also take a strong look at her. I'm not sure what happened at OR during her freshman year because she has played really well on her national team and against US players. Maybe there was some getting use to being in the US or some chemistry issues. You just don't know.
This is video of Lucy playing against US team which included ONO in summer 2016.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Olivia is not going to to average 17 PPG. Tina Charles only reached 17 PPG once. Stefanie Dolson's highest average was 13.6 PPG.
Maybe. However, how other players performed has nothing to do with how Ono will perform. With the playmakers UConn will have, she may surprise you.

Reaction Score
Lucy Cochrane is following UConn Women’s Basketball on her instagram in case anyone thinks that means anything

Maybe Cochrane will bring the other freshman from Australia with her, Jaz Shelley. There is a lot of talent in Australia

Reaction Score
I’ve watched video of Lucy and think she would be exactly what we need. A huge back up center. Piath may not help next year and Lucy if available, can back up Ono. Then the following year, we have three bigs that can handle the center spot. I know we have Amari coming in that year, but I have seen her play twice when she was a sophomore and I think she is gonna need time before she can help. Lucy looks like if she has it in her, can develop into a really good player.

Reaction Score
You could make the case that all UConn’s losses since the graduation of the Big 3 have come at the hands of top 10 teams with dominant front court size.
That case has already been made in our losses. I think the question is, Why are we making it hard on our ourselves? Can we win with less height? Yes - Geno & staff have done a good job of capitalizing on our strengths (quickness, offensive movement & passing, trapping defenses, etc), and masking our weaknesses many years, to win. But, more frontline height would sure make it easier. Do you think it was simply coincidence that Baylor's, Oregon's, Miss State, USC's ascension came with height included. In WCBB, trying to rebound or shoot over a 6'4" or taller (not to mention Griner or McCowan) center, is no easy feat. And, when there are a pair of those (6'3" or taller), on a front line, it's even tougher. And, if they happen to be fairly mobile, and can pass, watch out.
But that obscures the fact that since the graduation of the Big 3, UConn has beaten all of those teams frequently, with the exception of MS St. As teams have become more competitive, due to improved coaching, and top prospects choosing a greater variety of schools to attend, how many of the FF schools won without front court height, especially against Top 10 teams outside their conference? (I tend to weigh victories outside of conference play, especially away games, as a better indicator of a team's strength).
At the end of the day, while UCONN has done it time and again, why would any Basketball team (the object is to put the ball in a 10 Foot high basket) want to compete against a taller team.....when you don't have to?Head bang

There are a lot of good points here. Something else that has bothered me the last few years: UConn beats Oregon 90-52 in the 2017 Elite 8. All of this year's Oregon seniors were freshman that year; UConn beats Mississippi State 98-38 in the 2016 Round of 16. Butt whoopings both of them. MS State beats UCONN the next time the face each other in 2017 Semi's. The next time Oregon faces UConn, this past year, those girls are seniors and they remember. Geno puts the petal down and doesn't let up. I understand you don't want your starters playing unless their playing at 100 %, but get the second team in there quicker. You can't do that to teams because if they get the chance they will turn it up on you. The opposing coach doesn't have to motivate his team, cuz Geno did it for him. Everyone likes to watch those beat downs, but how many more teams will have that extra incentive to beat UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe. However, how other players performed has nothing to do with how Ono will perform. With the playmakers UConn will have, she may surprise you.
I hope she does surprise me. Speaking of playmakers LIV is not a very good finisher. A good post finisher is in the 60% FG. Live is at 55%. Crystal was a very good playmaker.

Reaction Score
Jaz Shelley is not in the portal. All I will say is Wow.
I fixed it. My fat thumb. So you just spoke on her because she is an aussie like Cochrane?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Maybe Cochrane will bring the other freshman from Australia with her, Jaz Shelley. There is a lot of talent in Australia

Be careful what you wish for. Cochrane sounds like a good fit but if she comes that gets us to 14 for 2021-2022, assuming everyone including Westbrook is back for that season. I know that`s a big if, but we do need to save a spot for you know who. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Cochrane sounds like a good fit but if she comes that gets us to 14 for 2021-2022, assuming everyone including Westbrook is back for that season. I know that`s a big if, but we do need to save a spot for you know who. ;)
I know exactly who but there is also that other trend we are not supposed to talk about. According to that trend UCONN WBB loses on average 1 player per year. You have also touch on the second trend of UCONN players leaving before eligibility is exhausted with your mention of Evina. Anna is WNBA eligible April of 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom