Toughness prevails | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Toughness prevails

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hesitate to make this the Cult of Lou, but she is really something. Complete charisma. Not as good as D, but, like D, all eyes are on her, and whatever she does is magnified disproportionately. That is what you call a leader.
In the post-game presser, Geno said that Lou is really tough, even though she doesn't look it.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Hesitate to make this the Cult of Lou, but she is really something. Complete charisma. Not as good as D, but, like D, all eyes are on her, and whatever she does is magnified disproportionately. That is what you call a leader.

Excellent Post THX

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't worry about ball-handling at all when Crystal has the ball.

My concern is really she's the only one when running a normal offense.

I do love Gabby running the break though. :)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Man, it's nice to play that poorly and still win.

But the good:

- Yes, this team showed heart. It's tougher than last year's team already. This game is a good thing to have happen now so it's really ready for March.

- Z. She completely took over down the stretch. They had no answer for her. There's still so much left in the tank for her, let's hope Geno can extract it out of her.

- Walker was just huge on the boards down the stretch. She was getting decked by ND still holding on. And she had a nice move to the basket as well.

- Dangerfield is gonna be about as good of a PG as we've had here when it's all said and done. Maybe not in the collaborative sense, but in the peak sense. her improvement is beyond what I could've reasonable expected after year 1. Simply amazing. That 3 she hit from basically the seat next to Geno was ridiculous.

- Nurse and Lou hit some absolutely huge 3s to swing the tide.

The bad:

- Turnovers. The one thing I really harped on during the blowouts, almost came back to bite the girls in this one. A lot of dumb, long, telegraphed passes that turned into points.

- Rebounding. ND built their lead on the offensive glass, i was a little miffed because a couple of those early rebounds and put backs were 100% fouls on ND (and was more agitated after they nailed Z with a few lesser over the back calls...still fouls, but nowhere as egregious as what they let go earlier in ND's favor). Gotta control the boards. The 4th quarter the rebounding started to come together though. Hopefully this one improves as the year goes on.

- Shot selection. Way too many long 2s early in the shot clock. A few of them were particularly frustrating with collier not knowing where she was on the court.

- Collier and Nurse couldn't guard anyone on the floor.

Reaction Score
Another Lou's toughness, 2 NDs fouled on Lou.

$

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Next time I'm betting a 20+ win by us. Gabby gets her revenge.

Speaking of Gabby . . . Recall that in last year's game vs. Notre Dame, Gabby was THE difference maker on both ends of the floor; take her out of that game-- as she was neutralized by her illness yesterday-- and that game plays out quite differently. Might some of UConn's problems for much of the game-- both offensive and defensive, especially the latter-- have their roots in her much reduced capacities and eventual absence?

Reaction Score
Both teams were incredibly tough. Don't lay it on ND that their shots didn't fall at the end. There was no quitting and no chocking. Just law of averages.

UConn is the better team. They won on talent. But Notre Dame played the better game.

I politely disagree that Notre Dame played the better game. That might have been true for quarters 2 and 3 but not so for the entire game. Notre Dame did not follow a smart game plan in the 4th quarter and took ill-advised outside shots (AO in particular) and failed to attack the UCONN post player (AZ) who had four fouls. That was not good decision making and certainly not good coaching. A team will not win scoring single digits in the fourth quarter vs. many teams, no less UCONN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Where did you see that?

? On Muffet's Bench. Not the first time and it is a fan board and so stuff is said. Last night it included: "Queen of flops is samuelson" in reaction to Ogunbowale charge. Lots of intelligent fans there too. One of who remarked anyone can get a charge on Ogunbowale because she's going to never pass and just charge on in.

Reaction Score
? On Muffet's Bench. Not the first time and it is a fan board and so stuff is said. Last night it included: "Queen of flops is samuelson" in reaction to Ogunbowale charge. Lots of intelligent fans there too. One of who remarked anyone can get a charge on Ogunbowale because she's going to never pass and just charge on in.
WOW!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is pathetically funny to read "Lou the flopper" comments on Muffet's Bench.

If Mabrey had taken the same charge that Lou did, this board would have been howling at the perceived injustice.

It is what it is. The charges your favorite team draws are great hustle plays. The charges your opponents draw are "flops".

Reaction Score
I will say "lots of flopped fan there too" ...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lucky the ref didn't give Mabrey a technical foul at the end of 4 Q. I don't like her from what she did to Pheesa.

I really don't know what you saw. I saw Collier trying to rip the ball out of Mabrey's hands and Mabrey not letting her. If anything, Collier was trying to get under Mabrey's skin there (and it worked).

I don't know what the basketball purpose of grabbing the ball away and not waiting for Mabrey to hand it to the official could be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Mabrey had taken the same charge that Lou did, this board would have been howling at the perceived injustice.

It is what it is. The charges your favorite team draws are great hustle plays. The charges your opponents draw are "flops".

Of course. It's part of fandom. Wouldn't have it any other way.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

Nah, I have to disagree, Mabrey wouldn't be taking charges she would reaching and hacking ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

A flop is if you try to sell the contact and make it look more intesne than it really is. What happened on that play is that Ogunbowale drove hard and Lou did her best to stay in front. Lou anticipated the move so the refs often give the defensive player the benefit. I am not sure it was the right call since Lou was moving but it seems you do not have to be stationary to earn a charge if you anticipate well. In any case, Lou took a lot of real contact so no flopping. Lou is queen of everything else:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom