OT: - Total Eclipse April 8th | The Boneyard

OT: Total Eclipse April 8th

Reaction Score
I have made plans to go to Mazatlan Mexico on April 8th for the total solar eclipse. I wasn't thinking about basketball when I made the plans, but I just realized April 8th is also the championship game. Obviously I will not be going to both so Ill be watching the championship game on TV. Which is an easy decision. Even if our squad is playing, Ive seen a few championships in person. Ive never seen a total eclipse... let alone on the beach in Mexico.

Considering there's a total eclipse on the same day as the championship game.... does the board have any "end of the world" themed basketball predictions? Something like... Purdue ends the BIGs drought and wins the tournament. Or UCONN finally destroys the "blue blood" discussion and passes Duke in championships.... or any other basketball/eclipse commentary

Reaction Score
Frustrated Brendon Urie GIF by Taylor Swift

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have made plans to go to Mazatlan Mexico on April 8th for the total solar eclipse. I wasn't thinking about basketball when I made the plans, but I just realized April 8th is also the championship game. Obviously I will not be going to both so Ill be watching the championship game on TV. Which is an easy decision. Even if our squad is playing, Ive seen a few championships in person. Ive never seen a total eclipse... let alone on the beach in Mexico.

Considering there's a total eclipse on the same day as the championship game.... does the board have any "end of the world" themed basketball predictions? Something like... Purdue ends the BIGs drought and wins the tournament. Or UCONN finally destroys the "blue blood" discussion and passes Duke in championships.... or any other basketball/eclipse commentary
Personally, I question your commitment.

Reaction Score
Total solar eclipses are can't-miss events for me. Had a great experience in 2017 down in NC. Probably will be headed up to the Adirondacks for this one. Fingers crossed for good weather...

The next one in North America isn't until 2045. Half this board will probably be dead

Reaction Score
I already have plans to fake sick from work and go see it. My buddy's house is directly in the middle of the path.

Reaction Score

Theme song could be Jimmy Buffet's "Party at the end of the World"...

Reaction Score

Considering there's a total eclipse on the same day as the championship game.... does the board have any "end of the world" themed basketball predictions? Something like... Purdue ends the BIGs drought and wins the tournament. Or UCONN finally destroys the "blue blood" discussion and passes Duke in championships.... or any other basketball/eclipse comment
I’ve seen two but I’m not not sure if they were total the last one maybe 50 years ago. The first one in the early 1950’s.
I was young living in a semi rural area and I remember a neighbors. rooster crowing coming out of the eclipse but not much other recollection. It wasn’t completely dark more like twilight.
On the later one about 1970
I watched off the back loading dock of my work place in Milford , with a welders mask on , However after it was over I was told that was the wrong thing to use . But although my vision is not what it used to be I can still see ( . Except to read my post) on this little screen ) I just punch a key and hope
Howerver since the championship is in Phoenix that week , I will be there if at all possible. I ’ve already exceeded my expiration date.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I was at the point of greatest eclipse in TN for the last total eclipse 5 years or so ago and it was awesome. If you have the chance to go to one you absolutely should. I thought the best point for 2024 was going to be in Ohio, though?

Reaction Score
I was at the point of greatest eclipse in TN for the last total eclipse 5 years or so ago and it was awesome. If you have the chance to go to one you absolutely should. I thought the best point for 2024 was going to be in Ohio, though?
I think any place in the path of total eclipse is the same

Reaction Score
I suppose there could be other factors that would make a particular area better or worse, in a sense of giving a better or worse percentage chance of it being good weather. But they wouldn't be certain.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I'll be heading NW a couple hours to observe it, I still have my glasses from 2017

Reaction Score
Makes sense IMO. A full solar eclipse is much more rare than UConn in an NCAA Championship game

Doomed!

Reaction Score
Living in the Rochester, NY area, the eclipse is a huge deal and we are very lucky to live in the path of totality.

That said, with it being April 8, the weather is almost certain to be 40 degrees and overcast.

Hopefully we have a championship game in the evening to lighten our spirits.

Reaction Score
I think any place in the path of total eclipse is the same
Yeah you’re right I’m a dummy
Any place in the Zone of Totality will get the classic corona effect where viewers do not need eclipse glasses (or my favorite the welder's lens).

However the closer you are to the centerline, the longer you will be able to see the corona effect. There is also a location along the path where the eclipse will be most direct (and therefore last the longest). That will be near Durango Mexico for this one. They will get nearly 4.5 minutes of total darkness. Where I am going in NY, totality will only last about 3.5 minutes

Reaction Score
Any place in the Zone of Totality will get the classic corona effect where viewers do not need eclipse glasses (or my favorite the welder's lens).

However the closer you are to the centerline, the longer you will be able to see the corona effect. There is also a location along the path where the eclipse will be most direct (and therefore last the longest). That will be near Durango Mexico for this one. They will get nearly 4.5 minutes of total darkness. Where I am going in NY, totality will only last about 3.5 minutes
Mazatlan is supposed to get 4 minutues 20 seconds i think. Im actually driving from Monterrey to Mazatlan and spening one night in Durango on the way. But im willing to sacrifice a few seconds for the beach.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The next 2 final fours are in San Antonio and Indianapolis, which are both in the path of the total eclipse. Maybe it’s a sign it’s the beginning of the end for college basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom